Ranking
Original Post
Redesign of Website
for many of the old-school user the website might not be such a problem but I hope studio guys have considered the need of re-design it, we are still running on a obsolete, 10+ (if not 15) yo old design and interface.
Website is not responsive and the navigability is kinda confusing.
In short it's necessary to work on the UI and UX in order to make the community more appealing to the new and potential users.
Think also about implementing a "like/dislike" button for post in the forum.
Ok I don't like the direction this is taking, so here's a note for whoever decides to reply to this thread: only post if you have some more ideas to further develop the suggestion from OP. Image examples, general UI suggestions - anything that would actually make this thread useful. We do not really care whether you have web development experience, and these arguments whether current forum design is good or not are the last thing we'd like to see here.
Website overhaul
Honestly..

I don't think I need to explain this one.
Feels like this is a jump into 2010, use Xenforo and get a professionally done theme, I feel like it'd enhance the entire community.

Merged with similar thread ~Kore
Last edited by Kore; Apr 27, 2018 at 10:09 AM.
Alright, let's see where i can explain why the devs don't.

Switch To Something Like Xenforo
  • They'd have to remake the clan, market, mod, replay, shop, and script scripts for it
  • they'd have to hire a company to get a theme made which costs extra money
  • the forum software itself would be an extra 100-200 dollars
  • the forum in itself is old, yes, but it works just the way it is

Taking Effort On Improving The Forums, Rather Than TB Next Or TB
  • Would delay the game release for TB next if not by a day or two
  • would need hampa's consent which im sure hampa is fine with the forums as is
  • changing something that works is useless, could improve the community, but at the same time for what?

Not to mention i was a sitedev twice, although i didnt do much (if anything at all) i did see the code, reworking all of that stuff for a new forum software, that the devs probably have no experience with if little at all would take a load of time, and effort that would much rather be spent working on the upcoming "sequel" to toribash, TB Next, and upgrading the current game with small or large updates.
Originally Posted by Elite View Post
Alright, let's see where i can explain why the devs don't.

Switch To Something Like Xenforo
  • They'd have to remake the clan, market, mod, replay, shop, and script scripts for it
  • they'd have to hire a company to get a theme made which costs extra money
  • the forum software itself would be an extra 100-200 dollars
  • the forum in itself is old, yes, but it works just the way it is

Taking Effort On Improving The Forums, Rather Than TB Next Or TB
  • Would delay the game release for TB next if not by a day or two
  • would need hampa's consent which im sure hampa is fine with the forums as is
  • changing something that works is useless, could improve the community, but at the same time for what?

Not to mention i was a sitedev twice, although i didnt do much (if anything at all) i did see the code, reworking all of that stuff for a new forum software, that the devs probably have no experience with if little at all would take a load of time, and effort that would much rather be spent working on the upcoming "sequel" to toribash, TB Next, and upgrading the current game with small or large updates.

I'm a web developer/designer, let me counter some of these arguments.

They have sir, he's an excellent designer, I can guarantee he could work with an already existing theme and modify it ti fit toribash needs.

Forum software cost isn't that much at all, I'm sure players would potentially donate to help cover that (I personally would).

It's old and unattractive, turns players off from using it. I hate using it sometimes, but you gotta.

The only person working on Toribash Next is hampa. That is it, and I guarantee he's not going to go out of his way to work on the site, someone else would. Ya know, like the site developers.

Reworking would not be as hard as you'd assume; working with databases is nice for this reason. As long as everything is stored to some form of a database, none of that would be complex, just would take time to write, and if you're going to counter this by "we dont have enough paid web developers", I would gladly volunteer and I'm sure others would too.

Improving the community is key to a game like this. This game is ridiculously community-based, if nobody is talking to each other, and new players aren't using the forums, odds are they'll quit early because they'd be bored, missing out on all the awesome shit the forums has to offer.

If I chucked a new design in hampa's direction, that looked beautiful and had everything integrated already, I'm very very sure he'd be pleased with implementing it.

The forums is lacking, hard. Some of these UI elements have been around since before I was born, I sincerely think it needs an overhaul.

Just my $0.02, doesn't mean you can't have an opinion, which I respect fully.
We'll be updating website in future, but current focus is on TB and TBN themselves.
Nothing bad with vBulletin backend though, forum just needs a visual update with modern UI styling in mind (primarily adapting to screen sizes).
Originally Posted by sir View Post
We'll be updating website in future, but current focus is on TB and TBN themselves.
Nothing bad with vBulletin backend though, forum just needs a visual update with modern UI styling in mind (primarily adapting to screen sizes).

A lot of screen size issues occur when writing posts, and I realized the vBulletin backend when I looked at the footer haha

Hopefully this can happen soon! Cheers