ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Doctor Who

As you may know, the start of the 5th series of Doctor Who aired a couple of weeks back and has since brought an exciting and 'fresh' feeling to the classic series. This season has Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor and Karen Gillan as his companion, Amy Pond.

So yeah, looking at the season it looks like it will feature the return of numerous favourites of Doctor Who fans, including the Daleks, Weeping Angels, Cybermen and The Doctor's future companion, River Song. and more.

Even if you haven't seen a single episode of Doctor Who before the wonder if the new series is that you can catch onto it quite quickly, it re-explains a lot of things for newcomers. So yeah, Matt Smith and the current writer, Steven Moffat have a lot to step up to with David Tennant and Russel T Davies' episodes that lasted for the past 4 years.

This is basically a Doctor Who thread for general discussion about new/old episodes. However, when posting please make sure that you do write in white colour if you are going to post things in relation to the two most recent episodes (seeing as places other than the UK get the episodes 2 weeks late). This is to avoid blatant spoiling.

Anyway, I really like the new season. Matt Smith has really impressed me so far with his acting and his own style of playing the doctor. I've enjoyed all of the episodes so far and Doctor Who still retains it's ability to make me smile at the sheer awesome on screen. What do you think?
[CENTER]
lead Sigma
I've only seen the first two episodes of the new series so I really can't come to a grand conclusion as to what I think of Matt Smith yet. From what I've seen of him, he's good but I don't think he will ever be as good a Doctor as David Tennant was.
As for the episodes themselves... Well the first episode was good, but I can't say the same for the second one. It just seemed to be missing something. Not sure what though.

It's still Doctor Who, so it's going to be awesome no matter what. Even though there are some things that have changed that make it all seem horribly wrong. Like the Daleks.

Looking forward to seeing some more episodes.

@Onamist
Oh god yes. Blink was one of the best episodes I've seen. That and Silence in the Library.
Last edited by Swarfiga; Apr 28, 2010 at 09:58 AM.
At first I didn't like the new Doctor, he seemed to aloof and distant to truly fit what the Doctor should be. But he's begun to grow on me. True, he's not as good as Tennant, but he is certainly unique.

I'm kind of getting over the Daleks to be honest. Yes, they are the classic Doctor Who villain, but it is getting ridiculous the ways they seem to be able to come back to life, despite going through innumerable methods of complete and utter annihilation.

That said, I'm happy that the Angels are returning. The original episode featuring them is still my favourite of all time.
I always thought the fact that they decided to keep the Daleks being pepper shakers with toilet plungers and egg whisks was pretty stupid. I really like how they actually changed the cybermen.
[CENTER]
lead Sigma
Not happy with the new Doctor Who at all. Watch the latest one, then go back and check out "Blink" - David's hardly in that episode, yet it felt so much more awesome than the latest ep. AND WHAT IS UP WITH THE COLOURED DALEKS? !!
Originally Posted by veb View Post
AND WHAT IS UP WITH THE COLOURED DALEKS? !!

Its to keep the kids happy.

Dr Who seems to be deteriorating, I loved all the older series better. It was always a bit weird, but now it seems that weird is what they are going for.

I really dont like it how they still have those plastic manicans in those booths, that slowly walk towards you, and everyone acts scared of them. They never attack dammit, why does everyone run away from them

They do that sort of thing too much in Dr Who.
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Its to keep the kids happy.

Dr Who seems to be deteriorating, I loved all the older series better. It was always a bit weird, but now it seems that weird is what they are going for.

I really dont like it how they still have those plastic manicans in those booths, that slowly walk towards you, and everyone acts scared of them. They never attack dammit, why does everyone run away from them

They do that sort of thing too much in Dr Who.

lol i would run from them as well, they may look ridiculous but they were badass enough to fuck up the timelords good and proper way back when. id say that is a good enough reason.
But they are plastic robots, which you can walk faster than. How hard is it to run up to a plastic robot and hit it and jump back before it "attacks" you? Oh wait he could just sonic screw driver them.

Surely you could trap them, like get a rope and tie them up together.

Or go up to a dalek and push it over. Yeah sure they can fly but it would buy you a few seconds.

I think that this type of action would be more entertaining than simply running away from a robot that goes no faster than walking speed.

I am happy that they are doing a double episode on the weeping angles, they are my favorite.
But they are plastic robots, which you can walk faster than. How hard is it to run up to a plastic robot and hit it and jump back before it "attacks" you? Oh wait he could just sonic screw driver them.

Because it has a ranged beam weapon that kills you instantly.

Surely you could trap them, like get a rope and tie them up together.

They have defense systems that can evoporate bullets and totally negate energy weaponry.

Or go up to a dalek and push it over. Yeah sure they can fly but it would buy you a few seconds.

You burst into flame as soon as you touch it, while it absorbs your DNA.

I think that this type of action would be more entertaining than simply running away from a robot that goes no faster than walking speed.

Beam weapons and anti-gravity technology. It's also not a robot, it's a horrific genetic mutation inside highly advanced battle armour. The actual creature is useless without it.

If you want the best example of their bad-assery, watch the episode 'Dalek' from the 2005 series.
infamous
My bad, I should have said this before. Its not just the daleks I am talking about.

Think about the plastic guys in the black clothes that sit in those booths. All they ever do is walk at you. Doesn't seem too dangerous or lethal to fight them.

Now that I think about it, there were also straw men, that slowly and creepily walked at you. At one point in that episode one guy pulls their arm off effortlessly, but of course you have to shoot the strawmen with bullets to kill them. This episode was done with David Tennant I believe.