Ranking
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
If no one brought them up it's because no one thought they were relevant.

He obviously thought it was important to the topic or else he wouldn't have stressed your omission.

Sadly expectations placed on males prevent them from reporting domestic violence and rape. In reality both domestic violence and rape are nearly 50/50 splits in both victims and perpetrators.

Earlier this semester my tutorial class had a discussion on this issue. One of the girls said something along the lines of 80-90% of women have been sexually harassed/assaulted. Other girls also said they knew of this statistic. This is how it's been almost forever. In terms of equality, this isn't a level playing field.

Rape and domestic violence remain a place where males are powerless (look at the number of pro-female adverts or shelters), and yet somehow it is considered a 3rd wave feminism issue?

I think you need to look at it from a different perspective. 3rd wave feminists see this sort of thing as a political struggle, certainly. But beyond that, there's this widespread, overarching effort to change how people respond to female harassment and abuse. I'd call it a sort of morale effort. That's why it's such a major issue - in sexual harassment and abuse against men you don't see this urgency to change perspectives.

Cross thread quoting is against the rules of the game, but I'll play anyway -_-

What's up with that, anyway? Does any mods actually believe constraining, pedantic rules like that allow for substantive debate? They shut down discussion..

There's no contradiction and the arguments are cohesive so I don't feel a need to reitterate...

It's not so much a contradiction. It just seems to me like with all your knowledge of the sufferings of minority groups, I expected you to have a more informed view.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
He obviously thought it was important to the topic or else he wouldn't have stressed your omission.

Not important enough to talk about, but important enough to mention that no one talked about it? Ok.

Earlier this semester my tutorial class had a discussion on this issue. One of the girls said something along the lines of 80-90% of women have been sexually harassed/assaulted. Other girls also said they knew of this statistic. This is how it's been almost forever. In terms of equality, this isn't a level playing field.

Ask them if they also know the '77c to the $' statistic. It's just propaganda dude, are you really using 'some girls in my class said' to overrule wiki?

Given it is a hard statistic to gather data on because domestic violence and rape against females is over-reported, and it is under-reported against males. And things like "90% of women have been sexually harassed/assaulted" is obviously grouping 'harassed' (which if you ask them is going to be things like someone asking for their number) with something much more serious and defined like assault is going to be misleading.

Women are seen as precious and complainers, whereas men are strong and resolute, so the cultural stereotypes also introduce even more bias. I'm sure you are aware that most people think domestic violence and rape against men is a joke at best, where as against women it is unacceptable.

I think you need to look at it from a different perspective. 3rd wave feminists see this sort of thing as a political struggle, certainly. But beyond that, there's this widespread, overarching effort to change how people respond to female harassment and abuse. I'd call it a sort of morale effort. That's why it's such a major issue - in sexual harassment and abuse against men you don't see this urgency to change perspectives.

It's a major issue, but it's not a feminist issue, and it's not a gendered issue.

Is violence against men more acceptable than violence against women? Is rape against men more acceptable than rape against women?

This is akin to tackling 'black crime' because you feel that blacks commit more crime. Regardless as to whether it is true or not, ALL CRIME is bad, so adding racial profiling is counter-productive.

What's up with that, anyway? Does any mods actually believe constraining, pedantic rules like that allow for substantive debate? They shut down discussion..

It's not a written or enforced rule, but since some people (in debate forum it used to be required more or less) will pick their position based on what is going on in the thread, it can't be expected that an argument will maintain coherency across multiple threads and topics.

It's not so much a contradiction. It just seems to me like with all your knowledge of the sufferings of minority groups, I expected you to have a more informed view.

I am informed... That's quite a subtle ad hominem m8.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
As I see it, Ele doesn't quite understand Pig's opinion. Pig is just saying that belonging to a minority does not necessarily mean you should receive priorities. He means that anyone in a difficult situation should receive extra help, regardless of race.
f=m*a syens
Not important enough to talk about, but important enough to mention that no one talked about it? Ok.

The fact that he mentioned you ignored it means that it's important to the discussion.

Ask them if they also know the '77c to the $' statistic. It's just propaganda dude, are you really using 'some girls in my class said' to overrule wiki?

It doesn't matter. My point still stands. The reality is there's an urgency for change that isn't present with mens rights.

I'm sure you are aware that most people think domestic violence and rape against men is a joke at best, where as against women it is unacceptable.

Yes, and feminists use this as an example of a one of the cultural/moral stereotypes they're trying to break. It's not just a 3rd wave feminism thing either. 2nd wave was all about breaking stereotypes too - 'how women ought to be'.

It's a major issue, but it's not a feminist issue, and it's not a gendered issue.

It's nothing if not a feminist issue. It's a part of the moral effort I talked about earlier that's been present in 2nd and 3rd wave feminism. Before that, in the 1880-90s, it was purely socio-political.

Is violence against men more acceptable than violence against women? Is rape against men more acceptable than rape against women?

It's not a gendered issue, as you said earlier. Questions like that are misdirections. It's a cultural issue (feminism pushes for cultural change) that deals with cultural morals.

I am informed... That's quite a subtle ad hominem m8.

Sorry. Wasn't my intention.

Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
Pig is just saying that belonging to a minority does not necessarily mean you should receive priorities. He means that anyone in a difficult situation should receive extra help, regardless of race.

I know that. i'm arguing that the reason they're receiving extra help is because of an urgency that isn't present in others. Whether the justified is legitimate or not is another heavily disputed question.
Last edited by Ele; Jun 22, 2014 at 04:02 AM.
The fact that he mentioned you ignored it means that it's important to the discussion.

Listing off things that have not been discussed does not a discussion make.

It doesn't matter. My point still stands. The reality is there's an urgency for change that isn't present with mens rights.

Yup

Yes, and feminists use this as an example of a one of the cultural/moral stereotypes they're trying to break. It's not just a 3rd wave feminism thing either. 2nd wave was all about breaking stereotypes too - 'how women ought to be'.

They want to make rape and domestic violence against women a joke too

Surely not! But seriously, 3rd wave is content to create a victim culture.

It's nothing if not a feminist issue. It's a part of the moral effort I talked about earlier that's been present in 2nd and 3rd wave feminism. Before that, in the 1880-90s, it was purely socio-political.

Which is a problem, because it isn't a gender issue. Why is feminism tackling non gender problems from a gender perspective?

It's not a gendered issue, as you said earlier. Questions like that are misdirections. It's a cultural issue (feminism pushes for cultural change) that deals with cultural morals.

Feminism pushes for female rights. Feminism is entirely inappropriate to deal with non gendered issues!

I know that. i'm arguing that the reason they're receiving extra help is because of an urgency that isn't present in others. Whether the justified is legitimate or not is another heavily disputed question.

IMO the reason why men's issues is ignored is because feminism strives to stifle MRA whenever they can. Because of feminism taking ownership of non female issues, because of the 'females are victims' stereotype, and because 3rd wave feminism is concerned only with female rights / anti-male rights, it's practically impossible to have a serious discussion about men's rights without being called a misogynist, while in the same breath they will call rape and domestic violence women's issues!

Feminism is not a vehicle for equality, it's a female special interests group.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Sticking with the main subject, all of us in this world have what is known as freewill (and a personal understanding of what that implies), some argue about that being a divine right that all have the freedom to express opinion based upon what we as individuals have come to understand in light of knowledge and the personal experiences that come with it.

Our current issue is the translation of concepts and beliefs, its the source of all our woes, but there is also an upside to any downers, ie progress (slow or steady as it may seem). I don't believe we can argue if racism is right or wrong because I believe it is an effect of progress, I mean if you ceased to express your most cherished beliefs because you feel as a minority then you are asking for persecution and personal blockages, it is a form of self harm to not express yourself, your true self as you see it and others usually half see.

Such things are signs of change, 300years ago you wouldn't see half the movement you do today and that is because the world is hitting a proverbial climax where we have no choice but to face eachother and work out our values, and in those times is where you'll see the most conflict and feel the world shake at your feet. Signs as such are not positive nor negative, they are catalysts of change, and we as always the harbingers who bear what is sown (no religious context here, just simplicity).
My username is a nickname that was given to me by a few fellow students when I was younger, and I use it a lot in games, including this one, obviously. I haven't experienced too much racism/bullying in-game but more trolling by some players. However irl, I used to deal with it all the time. I went to a public school with not a huge Asian population and got bullied a lot for being Asian :/, and back then I wasn't really big like I am now so it was pretty easy for most people. I think the issue of racism isn't going to go away any time soon, because it's going to die a very slow, very drawn out death. Racism for a lot of people in my experiences doesn't even come from some personal experience but it's handed down from parents like some kind of deep seeded family heirloom. I won't make comments on the intelligence of people like this, however the sheer irrationality of it makes me mad. The hating of people for something they have absolutely no control over makes me pretty mad. The fact of the matter is however, and especially if you live in an area where opinions and beliefs like this are common, you simply have to accept the fact that that is how things are and you need to work past that. It's not fair and it's not cool but it's just how it is. Overcoming adversity is part of everyone's life, but that doesn't mean that things like racism or actually wearing a confederate flag belt buckle (actually happened at my school, nothing happened to him) are okay. Racism is definitely not tolerable in any form.
Yeah, I think racism is as bad as bullying, or even worse, because bullying is something you can deal with.

I used to be bullied when I was younger, because I was the stereotype "nerd", because I was damn smart(yeah, on Brazil that's not appreciated), also because I never kissed a girl and I was kinda ugly using glasses. But dude, when I started to think they were nothing but stupid kids, that weren't going to be anything on life, I started to ignore them all, and guess what, now I have a girlfriend, contact lenses, a lot of friends and duh, not much money, but, a lot of games, that's enough, haha.

=)
Where exactly do you want this thread to go? The 'discussion' has ended long ago.
f=m*a syens