Toribash
Original Post
Affirmative Action from a Global Perspective.
I'd like to know ya'lls thoughts on affirmative action. In particular, as an American. I'd like to know from an individual's perspective what sorts of affirmative action goes on around other parts of the world. And how you believe your country views affirmative action.

That being said, I would encourage everyone to ignore the rule about posting without reading for this thread. If you have a unique perspective to share, then please go ahead and share it. Even if your perspective has already been mentioned, it brings impact that two random and separate individuals share the same views about affirmative action in their country.

In fact, even if you are American as I am, I would encourage you to share your perspective on this topic. I can't speak for everyone, but I myself live in a small bubble of my own country and could learn from what other Americans think about affirmative action.

That being said, I'll start the discussion off with a list of Pros and Cons I've heard argued for affirmative action.

~ At this point, Goodbox recommends using AA as shorthand for affirmative action ~

Pros
- Helps those in lower social status get out of their lower social status.
- Helps provide diversity in fields lacking it.

Cons

- Those who acquired a position via AA are typically under-qualified, and thus have a high chance of turnover. Turnover results in the status quo being maintained.
- Candidates with more merit and skill will lose their positions to those with less merit and skill in an AA system.
- Many institutions perform AA solely off of gender and ethnicity. This means that those in a lower social status but common gender and ethnicity for their field will not benefit from AA.

The Cons list is longer and has more bullet points than the Pros list. However the benefits on the Pros list carry a lot of weight. In fact if I had to weight the two, I would say the benefits of AA more or less balance out the disadvantages of AA.

I have a personal story about American AA and a hearsay story about Malaysian AA. But I'll save those for later once the thread gets going. What are your thoughts on AA, and what stories do you have to share relating to AA in your county?
Last edited by GoodBox; Dec 23, 2016 at 07:06 PM.
(>^_^)>