ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Outlast DLC, taken too far??
Ok, I love watching pewdiepie play survival horror games. I am always to scared to play them (except a few) so I watch pewdiepie play them. He played a really scary game called outlast, a survival hooro game set in a mental hospital. So it was scary, but a really good game. And then, a DLC for outlast came out!! I was pretty excited, and began watching.

It was all normal, super gory, super disturbing. Just like the original. But then, some really messed up stuff happened. You enter a kitchen, to see human body parts cooking, exploding in the microwave, and a man, eating a guy. You also see a basket ball court, with the net stuffed with corpses. You literally watch a guy jack off onto a bunch of dead bodies.

The list goes on.... but then. The most messed up, weirdest thing happened.

warning really disturbing and gory

It's just the first 3 minutes of this video, but seriously. How do people come up with this stuff?? BTW pewdiepie put up that censor.

Do you guys think this game went too far??

Please share your opinions.
You can't go too far in a virtual world. Especially for horror games. I could think of the most fucked up thing righ now and turn it into a scene in a game. It is a horror game so many horrific things will happen. If you can't handle it. Then that DLC or game is not for you.

It is sick to watch but that's the point.
yeah, but I usually like horror stuff, and it's not that I can't handle it, I just find it weird how normal people can sit in a room and plan all this out.
Dv, I doubt any women wants a knife shoved up their vagina.
Sled I see what you mean. But the most normal of humans can think of the sickest of things. Whoever wrote this story line is one imaginative person. If you think about it as a person with a good imagination rather than a person who has a sick mind. It's all good...kinda
Sorry kradel but I completely disagree. No one in the right mind would write this up and then be proud to have there name in the credits.

And also all the people you watch through the locker are guys the guy keeps trying to turn guys into girls to marry him.
Originally Posted by sledgren View Post
Sorry kradel but I completely disagree. No one in the right mind would write this up and then be proud to have there name in the credits

Hardly. Good horror writing and good horror scenes can be thought up by normal, well-adjusted people. Even extremely graphic and gory scenes can be thought up by normal people because it's really not hard to do it.

First, death in video games are dime a dozen, and the vast majority of them are quick, don't even think about them, affairs. When death is drawn out and prolonged, the impact of it becomes more pronounced. Even something that causes instant death, but is on a countdown, causes more impact. So naturally, the first step is to make a death take longer.

Two, there is a very close tie in between horror and erotica. The connotation between stabbing somebody to death as a form of eroticism as the most extreme form of penetration is pretty heavily discussed. In addition, the act of murder and torture are closely related to sexual sadism in a lot of pop culture. Heck, the entirety of 90s horror movies had sex followed up with death as a theme. Virginity was one of the greatest predictors of survival odds during horror movies.

Three, even ignoring the most basic literature approach, just imagine a way to die. Falling? Fall into a spike pit. Stabbed? Stabbed in the eye. Spider bite? Trapped in a coffin with spiders. Literally, just throw various phobias and unwanted events together and you can create some sick shit.

The best horror is often written by the most normal people, because they know what is horrifying.

And if you create something that causes a couple million people to collectively lose their lunch or crap their pants, I'd sure as hell would want my name on it. Particularly if that something was a best selling game. That shit can go right onto your resume.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Hardly. Good horror writing and good horror scenes can be thought up by normal, well-adjusted people. Even extremely graphic and gory scenes can be thought up by normal people because it's really not hard to do it.

First, death in video games are dime a dozen, and the vast majority of them are quick, don't even think about them, affairs. When death is drawn out and prolonged, the impact of it becomes more pronounced. Even something that causes instant death, but is on a countdown, causes more impact. So naturally, the first step is to make a death take longer.

Two, there is a very close tie in between horror and erotica. The connotation between stabbing somebody to death as a form of eroticism as the most extreme form of penetration is pretty heavily discussed. In addition, the act of murder and torture are closely related to sexual sadism in a lot of pop culture. Heck, the entirety of 90s horror movies had sex followed up with death as a theme. Virginity was one of the greatest predictors of survival odds during horror movies.

Three, even ignoring the most basic literature approach, just imagine a way to die. Falling? Fall into a spike pit. Stabbed? Stabbed in the eye. Spider bite? Trapped in a coffin with spiders. Literally, just throw various phobias and unwanted events together and you can create some sick shit.

The best horror is often written by the most normal people, because they know what is horrifying.

And if you create something that causes a couple million people to collectively lose their lunch or crap their pants, I'd sure as hell would want my name on it. Particularly if that something was a best selling game. That shit can go right onto your resume.

Damn orcale.. What you say is true, but there are more then one ways of looking at that. There's the success as you talk about, with having your name on it and disturbing and scaring the shit out of people. But think of the social aspect.

How would you talk to your parents, or really anyone who knows you in the real world who knew this was your idea. I believe they would never look at you the same way again if they knew you created or helped this idea. To the normal person, this is extremely disturbing. But to a horror fanatic they would eat this shit up. I would say most, would find the person who wrote this a sick man.
I'd like to consider myself pretty normal, and I didn't find it extremely disturbing.
It was kind of creepy, but then again the entire point of the game is to be scary.
So uh yeah not much more to say other than the fact that this game was made for people who like this kind of stuff, so it wasn't taken the slightest bit too far.
Me and my pal beat the entire game (normal and dlc) and it was scary, but that's the intention.
lol ok nice. How long did it take?? The game + DLC seems to be suuupperrrr long.

Also damn I guess you guys don't find it as disturbing or taking too far at all XD