ES Recruitment Drive
Originally Posted by Aspire View Post
Production: China
Tech: Japan and/or South Korea
Resources: Russia

Resources don't necessarily mean that Russia or Canada will become 'superpowers'. Australia is one of the most resource wealthy nations in the world, but because we lack the facilities to use them we just sell it to other nations (primarily China). Neither Canada nor Russia have the infrastructure or the cheap labour that China has, so neither of those countries will become global powerhouses, not to mention the rampant corruption of Russia's political system. China's population is just so great and they already produce so much of the world's products that their economy is almost certain to maintain the impressive 10% average growth for a number of years to come.
Originally Posted by Onamist View Post
Resources don't necessarily mean that Russia or Canada will become 'superpowers'. Australia is one of the most resource wealthy nations in the world, but because we lack the facilities to use them we just sell it to other nations (primarily China). Neither Canada nor Russia have the infrastructure or the cheap labour that China has, so neither of those countries will become global powerhouses, not to mention the rampant corruption of Russia's political system. China's population is just so great and they already produce so much of the world's products that their economy is almost certain to maintain the impressive 10% average growth for a number of years to come.

I believe Russian CAN be a superpower but it won't. China is such a strong competitor even threatening the USA which Russia was not able to. Though Russia can be a superpower for several reasons. First is the wages. If you would notice in this picture that most of Russia's wealth is in places like Moscow, St. Petersburg and other urban cities. So most of Russian rural areas still have an average GDP as of China which stand around $3000 per capita --- This would make lower wages for the labor force which is a positive sign for Russia. Second is their resources; its mere size tells you that Russia has a lot of untapped oil, gas and other natural resources --- Russian labor forces and loans from the US would definitely give the Russians the opportunity to build factories, buildings to accommodate these resources. Lastly, Russia's military is just second to the US --- Having the largest nuclear stockpile in the world, its influence would give Russians a boost for world superiority. The thing that separates Russia from China is China's population. Russia can't compete to that.
Last edited by Aspire; Jul 18, 2010 at 07:59 AM.
Originally Posted by Aspire
HAHAHA, I'M NOT A LOCAL MODERATOR ANYMORE. YOU STUPID PEOPLE!

Some place with lots n lots of oil
:D
Originally Posted by Blam View Post
Some place with lots n lots of oil

Doubt it. We are actually innovating to have a greener future. This equates to less usage of oil.

The 1980s were when the oil rich countries had dominance. Since then private corporations (ExxonMobil, BP etc.) have taken their place.
Originally Posted by Aspire View Post
Doubt it. We are actually innovating to have a greener future. This equates to less usage of oil.

Riiiighhhtt
:D
Originally Posted by Blam View Post
Riiiighhhtt

I sense a touch of sarcasm from you.

We aren't voluntarily moving towards a greener future. The only reason that there is any research into solar power, wind power etc. is that some governments realise that oil won't last forever and want to have some form of energy production for when that happens. Oil usage isn't much lower, in a lot on instances (China, India where populations are massive) oil usage is increasing as Second World countries slowly catch up to First World countries.
Originally Posted by Onamist View Post

I think in terms of resources and becoming global powerhouses you can't go past the BRICs. China's strength in cheap labour is quickly being taken from them due to massive increases in wage rates, this is probably why they have floated their exchange rate. Australia's main resources are minerals, but that too will eventually run out, luckily we have many land dependent resources also. I think if China keeps it up for a bit longer they will take the top position, but I don't know whether the US will be out just like that, I'm thinking that there will be a global economic tussle between the most competitive nations.

Tbh, this seems like it has a lot to do with global trade and the US and Eu is making it very hard for some exporting nations to become or stay competitive due to trade protection.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!