Toribash
Originally Posted by 7734 View Post
Alright, thanks alot. I think I will go for the DT250. I really need to have some good isolation so that people all around me don't complain which happens alot. Thanks again.

You could also look at the Shure SRH840.

The thing with isolation is is that it reduces the soundstage of a headphone which means that stereopositioning (i.e. where you hear footsteps etc coming from) wont be as good.
However, you are getting a much better headphone from the DT250 than from the gaming headset. Marketing anything with any quality mic as a 'gaming headset' results in a +$100 price tag for some reason.

By the way, i should have asked what soundcard you are using. Channel crosstalk is very common in onboard sound and that will affect the positioning of footsteps negatively (as well as the overall quality of the music).

Just a reminder to make sure you get the 80 ohm version (the 250 ohm version needs an amp...). The same goes if you look at a DT770pro (which is a much much bassier headphone and IMO too bassy)
Last edited by m0o; Nov 20, 2009 at 09:08 AM.
Nice to see you doing something nice for once >_>

Prize: 100-200 Euros
Genre: good all around headphones, AKG if possible.
Connecting it to an Audigy 4 with homebrew drivers ( X-fi ish, feature wise...i think ^^ )
Other important factors: trying to find a pair of headphones thats comfy AND has good sound, doesnt need to have huge bass.

Thanks in advance, etc.
<Alan> lol, rutz, it might be cool to smell your ass all the time you touch the mic

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/H4rl/PS/deathnote1-2.png
Originally Posted by Rutzor View Post
Nice to see you doing something nice for once >_>

Prize: 100-200 Euros
Genre: good all around headphones, AKG if possible.
Connecting it to an Audigy 4 with homebrew drivers ( X-fi ish, feature wise...i think ^^ )
Other important factors: trying to find a pair of headphones thats comfy AND has good sound, doesnt need to have huge bass.

Thanks in advance, etc.

AKG K601 or K501 is probably what you are looking for.
K601 can be had on amazon and sounds pretty full. K501 is more light an airy ala K1000 but is out of production

The k601 SHOULD be 'ok' from the audigy, but you might need an amp. I'm not too sure.

If you want to know more about AKG and their amping requirements I'd highly recommend talking to This Guy

I can't see much else I'd recommend on amazon.de I'll look more at it later.

You might even consider a used K240 sextett (it has holes in the headband unlike the non-sextet version)

I wouldn't go towards the lower end AKG because theyre not too highly regarded.

Fitz is pretty much THE guru.

edit:
Ok, personal recomendation is: Beyerdynamic DT440. I really like this headphone. Its very musicial (rather than audiophile). It sounds basically the same as the budget headphone king the DT531 (which is discontinued). This version has inferior comfort and features (the DT440 swivels, which I think is crap). Sound wise its excellent for the price. and at ~115 euros it leaves you with some spare dough.

Some find them uncomfortable after a while, I personally do not.
Last edited by m0o; Nov 20, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
Price - hopefully not more than $200 US; could probably do $250 if the quality would be worth it
Locatin - USA
Genre - Rock, Funk, Hip hop, some Jazz, Fusion.
Use - At home, pretty much only to connect to my Roland TD-20 electronic drum kit.

I am looking for quality and comfort. Practice/recording takes many hours sometimes so I will need to be able to comfortably wear the headphones for long periods of time. Quality is perhaps more important than comfort, but these are the two primary concerns. I am not interested in isolation or noise cancellation per se, as I do not see these features as relevant to my intended use of the phones. Without knowing much about buds/canalphones I assume I am not interested in them; rather I am looking for open ear (I think) headphones. Thanks in advance!

Logic
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
Price - hopefully not more than $200 US; could probably do $250 if the quality would be worth it
Locatin - USA
Genre - Rock, Funk, Hip hop, some Jazz, Fusion.
Use - At home, pretty much only to connect to my Roland TD-20 electronic drum kit.

I am looking for quality and comfort. Practice/recording takes many hours sometimes so I will need to be able to comfortably wear the headphones for long periods of time. Quality is perhaps more important than comfort, but these are the two primary concerns. I am not interested in isolation or noise cancellation per se, as I do not see these features as relevant to my intended use of the phones. Without knowing much about buds/canalphones I assume I am not interested in them; rather I am looking for open ear (I think) headphones. Thanks in advance!

Logic

If you are going to spend most of your time practising with the headphones, rather than discretely paying attention to the music, you probably dont need to spend $200 for the benefits to stop being useful.

For these genres (bar hiphop perhaps) I would definitely recommend the Grado SR225 ($200 on amazon + shipping). The reason why I wouldn't recommend it for hiphop is because the bass isnt of huge volume, although the impact is great.

They are sort of middle-ground in terms of comfort, as they are supraaural which means they sit on the ears. It can take a little while to get used to, but I dont experience any discomfort.

You could also look at the DT440 which would suit hiphop better but perhaps do the other genres with less finesse (particularly rock).
Some find the clamp and the headband padding on the DT440 uncomfortable. I do not.

Neither of these are particularly comfortable compared to the AD700 or DT880, but the AD700 would struggle with hiphop due to somewhat weak bass, and the DT880 needs an amp.

You could also look at a denon headphone although I dont particularly like denon (partially because they are stupidly expensive locally). Sprooj had a AHD2000 for a while that he sold, so you could talk to him about that. If you like large amounts off bass (for hiphop for example), they could be for you.
Last edited by m0o; Nov 25, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
Price range : 100-150$ (150 would probably be max, but somewhere between.)
Genre : Rock, trance, other electronica.
What you will be connecting it to : My laptop. If I get an iPod classic, probably that too.
What you will use it for : Music, shows, movies, probably gaming (unless I get a headset).
Other important factors : I'm a fattie, so they should be extendable enough to wear without them breaking my ears. I like closed/semi-closed headphones. I want both detail and decent bass, if such a thing is possible. I also want a "deeper" sound.

I'm currently using AKG k512, which was a huge dissapointment. I'd also prefer if they didn't look like shit, but I don't care that much about the phones appearance.
Last edited by dalir; Nov 25, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
|11:33| »» [shark] so you're saying that you just paid 80 euros for pussy
|11:33| »» [Quit] [x] shark [[email protected]] [Quit:]
Originally Posted by Dalir View Post
Price range : 100-150$ (150 would probably be max, but somewhere between.)
Genre : Rock, trance, other electronica.
What you will be connecting it to : My laptop. If I get an iPod classic, probably that too.
What you will use it for : Music, shows, movies, probably gaming (unless I get a headset).
Other important factors : I'm a fattie, so they should be extendable enough to wear without them breaking my ears. I like closed/semi-closed headphones. I want both detail and decent bass, if such a thing is possible.

I'm currently using AKG k512, which was a huge dissapointment. I'd also prefer if they didn't look like shit, but I don't care that much about the phones appearance.

if you are looking for HUEG BASS like the portapro, what about an ultrasone DJ1
Last edited by m0o; Nov 25, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
I need a decent pair of earphones.

Price:Below $35
Locationover Delaware
Genre preference:Rock, Metal. Along those lines
Where I will be using it:At home, or anywhere in public
What I will be connecting it to:iPod Classic 80 gigs, and occasionally my DS
What you will use it for:Music and the occasional games
Other important factors:I prefer the type that loop around your ear(the ones that go inside your ear canal are out of the question) The sound quality doesn't have to be amazing, just good. Since I will carry them around in my pocket id like them to be somewhat compact. Comfort is a big thing for me, and sound cancelling isnt important to me at all but if they have it than I don't care
FUCKING MAGNETS EVERYWHERE IN THIS BITCH
Originally Posted by randomguy8 View Post
I need a decent pair of earphones.

Price:Below $35
Locationover Delaware
Genre preference:Rock, Metal. Along those lines
Where I will be using it:At home, or anywhere in public
What I will be connecting it to:iPod Classic 80 gigs, and occasionally my DS
What you will use it for:Music and the occasional games
Other important factors:I prefer the type that loop around your ear(the ones that go inside your ear canal are out of the question) The sound quality doesn't have to be amazing, just good. Since I will carry them around in my pocket id like them to be somewhat compact. Comfort is a big thing for me, and sound cancelling isnt important to me at all but if they have it than I don't care

JVC HARX700 or Koss KSC75.
Originally Posted by m0o View Post
Koss KSC75.

I checked those out on their site. They look pretty good, ill make sure to pick up a pair next time i go out and let you know what i thought

EDIT:I got them and they're exactly what i wanted. Thanks for the help
Last edited by randomguy8; Nov 28, 2009 at 03:09 AM.
FUCKING MAGNETS EVERYWHERE IN THIS BITCH