Toribash
Original Post
HTOTM Complains and Suggestions
K so, You might find me being rude and saying harsh stuff in this thread
but I feel like it has to be said, and please READ THE WHOLE ORIGINAL POST BEFORE YOU REPLY TO IT

you will think that I am just being a dick because I didn't win the HTOTM but that isn't why I am making this thread

so Staff voting on HTOTM feels a bit rigged since a lot of the artist can be really close friends with staff members and there's no proof which says that you can trust the staff members, and Plus like more than half of them have Zero knowledge about art never did art in their entire life and now they are judging other people's art just doesn't feel right

I honestly feel that chab deserved the 1st place but at the same time his idea wasn't unique or anything he just drew another anime girl wearing a futuristic space helmet while Hagan's idea actually seemed unique
(sorry chab m8 but it just had to be said)

and in the HTOTM Christmas

Chab won because he drew another anime girl but was an elve, simply an anime elve girl
and the style didn't feel right it was not appealing at all and he called it a toymaker
so "look oh he called it a toy maker so it is completely not related to all the other elves it's a unique idea and lets 100% vote for it" ~staff members

Then if you staff member really wanted a not original idea to win you could have voted for ASTRA because his style was much more appealing he had style it looked awesome he did really nice shading and actually spent time on it.

and if you staff members knew anything about art and actually followed the judging rules you would have voted for Ezeth since his idea was completely different had a story the execution was great the head itself looked really cool.

Another thing is that when someone wins the HTOTM the EventSquad member just posts the winners and only says congratz
like seriously maybe commenting on the head and actually telling us why a guy won and what was so special about the head will actually make sense

Also please get someone from ES who actually is active rather than someone who makes an Event and just goes afk and never answers the people never gives any updates and just comes back when the month ends, posts the winners and closes the thread(Rihanna aka Swosh)

Blur actually did well when he hosted the HTOTM he did everything that a good Event Squad member would do.

Let's GET ON THE MAIN PART

I am simply saying that I have so many doubts about staff members and that the won't rig, I have no reason to trust them

so maybe some actual good artists like the legendary artists or maybe just normal artist those who actually have knowledge about art judging the art would make a lot more sense.

Or maybe just open a poll and let the community vote and give us a deadline when the poll will end.

Sorry if you found some stuff harsh
you guys have all the rights to defend your selves.
Last edited by Clint; Apr 9, 2018 at 04:18 PM.
Originally Posted by Membrain View Post
First of all let me state that I agree with you that these events should be voted on by everyone.

We diverge from that point.

Art is subjective and not objective. Even if one piece of art required more technical skill than another, I may not like it more. In fact what I personally like or dislike is based on a very subjective experience and you may have a quite different experience when encountering the same thing.

Unless the competition is purely technical then there is no need for judges to be artists. Anyone can appreciate or judge art regardless of skill or knowledge. You are not required to understand the details that went into making art in order to be able to know if you like it or not. Most people just need to look.

I disagree with this quote, the best artists know
how to lead people to like or feel something by their art,
and it is in fact technical.
Judges are not judging what they like,
they are judging acording to criterias.
As judges, we don’t aim to discriminate against artists that repetitively follow the same style throughout a large majority of their designs. We aim to judge through artistic application and an overall composition. Personally speaking, I think using just staff to vote is very efficient, as both ES Artists and Mod Makers, along with the general art public occupying the rest of the Staff can effectively vote to determine a wide variety of results from multiple perspectives. A lot of the ES artists that contribute towards the voting and the ES in general either study it or are professional, so the knowledge about art is definitely there.

Regarding style, everyone has their own and will more than likely aim to follow their strengths, especially when looking to compete in competition. Chab follows an anime/cartoon style respectively, and you Vanish, follow a realistic approach. Regardless of what you do, you will be judged by the overall product, and what is a more satisfying piece altogether.

In terms of judging overall, I think critiquing the placement artworks is a good idea and should definitely be implemented in the future. Knowing why something placed where it did is crucial in not only self-development as an artist, but also to justify the placing so artists don’t feel like they got scammed from a win.

Overall, artists such as Destram, Hagan and I will be working on ways in the future to implement changes to the next events, inspired by our own insights as artists, along with the community’s suggestions as mentioned above. We aim to bring motive back to artists to compete in our events, rather than sparking any controversy or unnecessary criticism.
[ES] Artist

Originally Posted by chab View Post
(I also loved Hagan's head but it was only me, him and Destram who put out good heads lol XDDDDD)

Hey...

I disagree about rigging entirely, it's really not like any of the staff members to play favorites believe it or not.

I agree that voting and prizes could be changed however. An artist or two from the community would make for at least a bit more knowledge in the voting process, and the prizes are... just ok.
A jury will always be subjective by nature and i agree with membrain on this one.

The best solution would be imo to disclose the voting process after the verdict is given. This way people can see how the jury made its decisions. Usually this is done in many contests.
= SELLING MARKET INVENTORY =
Pm me for deals