Toribash
I struggle to see how saying ridiculous and untrue things boils down to poor presentation of otherwise valid/to-be-taken-seriously points. Imo their 'arguments' against the OP are completely valid. Maybe the responses to him may show him how ridiculous a statement like "real racism hasn't existed since the 50's" really is. Maybe then discussion would serve a purpose beyond people flexing their superior intellect and knowledge to no real end.

Although, even then, the posters you've not chastised for being Shit don't know how to spell retarded, don't know what it means, and claim that the only manifestation of racism in most western countries is the existence of slurs, and anything less than albino people being killed in Africa doesn't count as real discrimination..... so the board is still lacking in any display of intellect or knowledge, I guess.

Obviously race relations are better off in 2019 than they were in 1950, but there are still so many subtle and systemic issues that it's impossible to say in good faith that racism no longer affects anyone in the US or similarly developed western countries. You don't even really need to look further than the highly covered "scandals" around the Obama presidency. Despite actually doing fuckshit like expanding military programs and killing civilians in warzones overseas, he was accused of not being a US citizen until the very end of his second term. He was consistently accused of being muslim for some reason?? Obviously people are still racist, and racism still effects people, especially around islamophobia. The backlash to Ilhan Omar is another example of how racism and islamophobia still influences people's reactions and opinions of people and remarks.

All without getting into the long-term effects of racism, none of which have ever been remedied, and the systemic issues that persist to this day. Black people on average still have way less in net worth than whites, they serve longer sentences for the same crimes, they're convicted more often for the same offenses, the trend continues.

Anyone claiming otherwise just doesn't pay attention -- that's especially the case when you aren't even aware of any racism after the 50s.
-----
no one sentence posts, no backseat moderation etc. etc., obviously you've no authority to tell people not to post here ele etc. etc.
Last edited by pouffy; Mar 6, 2019 at 08:59 PM.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
That's lazy and easy.

It is such a lazy and ugly thing

So is the original post. :)

'Smh I think OP makes valid points but everyone just wants to call him out on making a blatantly dumb, poorly written, and poorly thought out post'
K.
Last edited by Divine; Mar 7, 2019 at 03:21 AM.

Need help? PM me!
إد هو العاهرة
Originally Posted by pouffy View Post
I struggle to see how saying ridiculous and untrue things boils down to poor presentation of otherwise valid/to-be-taken-seriously points. Imo their 'arguments' against the OP are completely valid. Maybe the responses to him may show him how ridiculous a statement like "real racism hasn't existed since the 50's" really is. Maybe then discussion would serve a purpose beyond people flexing their superior intellect and knowledge to no real end.

Well that's failed hasn't it.

Maybe now moderate this thread.
Although, even then, the posters you've not chastised for being Shit don't know how to spell retarded, don't know what it means, and claim that the only manifestation of racism in most western countries is the existence of slurs, and anything less than albino people being killed in Africa doesn't count as real discrimination..... so the board is still lacking in any display of intellect or knowledge, I guess.

The posters I've labelled as shit are posters who aren't engaging with the issues OP outlined, instead just piling onto the OP for poor presentation and thinking.

Like what you're doing right now.

How many have you mentioned 'intellect' now..?

Obviously race relations are better off in 2019 than they were in 1950, but there are still so many subtle and systemic issues that it's impossible to say in good faith that racism no longer affects anyone in the US or similarly developed western countries. You don't even really need to look further than the highly covered "scandals" around the Obama presidency.

Good, now we're engaging with the topic.

I agree that racism exists and affects people in US and the west. I don't agree that anyone who disagrees with this statement is necessarily acting in bad faith. OP is a young black American who, by his own account, doesn't see or blame racism on things that happen to him. It isn't wise to completely discount his experiences and accuse him of not acting in good faith.

There's the other part of this issue and that's 'should people be upset'. OP implies there's an overreaction to racism (or perceived racism) in US/west. I think, as I said in my first post here, that there's definitely been an uptick in the amount of people causing racial fusses about nothing. I think part of this is because that since there's been less overt racism around, people (who see covert racism as a contributing factor to their misfortune) are 'reaching' for concrete cases of racism. They're looking for it, sometimes (read: often) when it's not there.

Originally Posted by pouffy
no one sentence posts, no backseat moderation etc. etc., obviously you've no authority to tell people not to post here ele etc. etc.

Delete the useless posts then smh
Originally Posted by Divine View Post
'Smh I think OP makes valid points but everyone just wants to call him out on making a blatantly dumb, poorly written, and poorly thought out post'
K.

Once one person's already called him out, what's the use of further shaming?

If you've nothing to contribute, other than calling OP dumb (which others have already done), don't post.
If I'm going to be honest, I read the first few sentences, was blown away by how dumb they were, and made my post. I had no idea he hadn't already been called out.

If this was a year or two ago I'd keep up the banter but I lost all enthusiasm for it since then. I apologize blah blah blah.

Yes people should be upset over racism. Just because things aren't as bad as the used to be, or could be doesn't mean they're not still bad and you don't have the right to voice your concern.

Need help? PM me!
إد هو العاهرة