Toribash
Originally Posted by DarkHorsePyro View Post
Yet the constellations have stayed the exact same for around 3,000 years.

Sorry to burst your bubble fam, but that's not correct.
Originally Posted by http://www.physics.csbsju.edu/astro/asp/constellation.faq.html
Are the constellations permanent?

Ancient astronomers often spoke of the "fixed stars," which maintained permanent positions in the sky. And, indeed, the stars do seem almost fixed in place; the patterns they form look much the same today as they did when the constellations were first named nearly 3000 years ago. But the stars are all moving relative to the Sun, most with speeds of many kilometers per second. Because they are so very far away, it will take thousands of lifetimes to see significant changes in the star patterns. But, over time, they will change. Because of the motions of the stars within it, for example, the handle of the Big Dipper will, in about 50,000 years, appear significantly more bent than it is today (see figure at left). We will, no doubt, keep the same names for the constellations, even if the stars change their positions. Constellations are, after all, products of human imagination, not nature.

i don't fully understand your question. do you mean to ask what caused us to come in existance? if so it was a whole lot of coincidences plus the fact that life generates life, as in your genes that translated into physical traits that allowed you to live on this planet in the first place will very likely pass down to your offspring and so forth.

Originally Posted by Veoo View Post
No matter how much science we discover or technology we create, it doesn't actually change anything. The science was happening even if we didn't know how or where, and advances everywhere won't spand past 1-2 billion year which is a blink of an eye in the the infinity that is time. So why do we live on if all to disappear? Why do we care? This question seems to often be shunned as depressing or stupid, but what is your answer?

because our genes "force" us to live and all of that science/goals/etc is an attempt to increase our life span. if i tell you that i will pretend to slap you in the face, as in do the slapping motion but then pull my hand back when it gets close to your face, you will still close your eyes out of instinct when i do it. your human nature can override your commands and do whatever it can to avoid what seems like adversity.
oh yeah
Because your dad creampied your mom, like their parents before them and theirs before them. Same following all the way back up the family tree up until uncle unocello who just replicated himself until some of his imperfect replications started sticking together.

Why did uncle unocello exist? Because amino acids and lightning and whoosh boom meteors comets water
Hoss.
Originally Posted by Skizzify View Post
This is one of those conversations that really have no answer.
We aren't sure of anything.
The only thing we can do is sit there and wonder, "Does life have a meaning?"
If you're religious, yes we do. But if you're not, what is the answer? There is no definite answer.

best answer

To address people being pedantic about 'why', possibly the anthropic principle.

In the end the only logical response is to be truly agnostic.
Originally Posted by Fear View Post
In the end the only logical response is to be truly agnostic.

Agnostic isn't logical though.

Basic logic dictates that in the absence of evidence disbelief should be maintained. Implicit in the agnostic's chain of thought is the assertion that God exists.

'There is no proof of God, so there is no God.'
not
'There is no proof of God, so nothing is known or can be known about God'

It's a cute middle ground position (if the middle ground between affirmative and negative is ignorance), but there is absolutely no logic behind it.
Originally Posted by GnilRettemHC View Post

Basic logic dictates that in the absence of evidence disbelief should be maintained. Implicit in the agnostic's chain of thought is the assertion that God exists.

not

It's a cute middle ground position (if the middle ground between affirmative and negative is ignorance), but there is absolutely no logic behind it.

There is nothing logical in your statement and your example is anything but logical. If the negative turns out to be incorrect it was incorrect even when you made the statement, with or without evidence. A logical mind would see that and assume a less absolute position or make the choice to use faith instead of logic. I see nothing interesting and productive you can do with the position "There is no god" as opposed to "I have no idea if there is a god".

In the end it is a choice you can make. Either position can barely be used for anything other than to talk about your position and to try and convert others to it, I guess.

It's pretty useless and you would be better off studying Wittgenstein and understanding that the whole discussion is stupid as fuck.
Last edited by Redundant; Jun 3, 2016 at 01:59 PM.
How are you?

not

"There is no proof of god, so there might and might not be a god"
not
"There is no proof of god, so there is no god"

Because your statement made even less sense than the one that you corrected.
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
There is nothing logical in your statement and your example is anything but logical. If the negative turns out to be incorrect it was incorrect even when you made the statement, with or without evidence. A logical mind would see that and assume a less absolute position or make the choice to use faith instead of logic. I see nothing interesting and productive you can do with the position "There is no god" as opposed to "I have no idea if there is a god".

In the end it is a choice you can make. Either position can barely be used for anything other than to talk about your position and to try and convert others to it, I guess.

It's pretty useless and you would be better off studying Wittgenstein and understanding that the whole discussion is stupid as fuck.

?

In the complete absence of evidence the correct position is negative. What do you gain from having neutral as your default position? The implications of such a thing are absurd.

"I have no idea if there is a god" is functionally equivalent to "there is no god", not "it is impossible to know anything about god". You aren't disagreeing with this assessment, you are disagreeing with the strength of conviction. Just because the current evidence shows a negative or positive, doesn't mean the position can't be changed in the future. The position of "there is no god" would change to "there may be a god" if we got some plausible evidence, and if we obtained definitive evidence it would change to "there is a god". This is not a problem with negative being the default position for anything without evidence, it's a problem of conviction. No one is taking an absolute position, but in the absence of evidence negative is appropriate.

Originally Posted by Gambi321 View Post
"There is no proof of god, so there might and might not be a god"
not
"There is no proof of god, so there is no god"

Because your statement made even less sense than the one that you corrected.

Again your problem is actually with positions being absolute.

Do you go around telling people "actually it's incorrect to say 'gravity exists', because we may in the future find some evidence that changes our understanding, so you should say 'gravity may or may not exist.'" How is this a logical or productive stance?

Yes, many things are not absolute, but that's not to say that our position on everything outside of mathematics should be 'maybe'.

Do germs exist? Maybe
Do atoms exist? Maybe
Does god exist? Maybe
Do trees exist? Maybe
Does the sun exist? Maybe
Do you see how this may not be a good idea? Maybe
I totally get your point, put you don't seem to get mine.
You talk about things that we can assume and be sure that they exist. We got evidence (trees, sun... lmao)
But if there is no evidence against or for something, then we can't make clear assumptions (god, for example).

Does god exist? Maybe, we got no clear evidence for or against him.
Do trees exist? Yes, they do pretty sure. We got evidence for them (we can feel, see, smell etc. them)
"I have no idea if there is a god" is functionally equivalent to "there is no god", not "it is impossible to know anything about god". You aren't disagreeing with this assessment, you are disagreeing with the strength of conviction. Just because the current evidence shows a negative or positive, doesn't mean the position can't be changed in the future. The position of "there is no god" would change to "there may be a god" if we got some plausible evidence, and if we obtained definitive evidence it would change to "there is a god". This is not a problem with negative being the default position for anything without evidence, it's a problem of conviction. No one is taking an absolute position, but in the absence of evidence negative is appropriate.

you can have something affect you without you or anyone knowing about it. just because something manifests itself it doesn't necessarily mean it is possible to figure out what it was.
oh yeah