Toribash
Sir is looking into it, although a fix or a cause still hasn't been found afaik.
Aimlessly swimming in circumcisions
That's something that apparently only affects regular users and not staff members.
Yes, we've been looking into it (actually for a while now), but we still don't have any clue why this happens or what causes it.
Odd, so that would imply that it's an issue stemming from usergroups. I guess one way to troubleshoot would be to look into when the issue first started happening, has anything been changed. Do any vb mods depends on usergroups that may be malfunctioning or out of date... It's very strange that it only occurs periodically though.
This has been extremely prevalent recently, happens on almost every post I make.

I've done a bit of digging around and apparently this issue is as old as vBulletin itself, however there are many factors that can cause an issue like this.
Posting messages is the most resource intensive function of vBulletin. When you post a new message it must:

1. Censor the text in the message if necessary.
2. Convert all HTML entities to their proper notation if necessary.
3. Index each and every unique word in the post. (word and searchindex tables)
4. Send all email notifications out. (subscribedthread table)
5. Send all Moderator mail notifications out. (moderator table)
6. Update the thread information. (thread table)
7. Update the forum information. (forum table)
8. Update the user information. (user table)
9. Actually save the thread. (post table)

When you look at it like that, it is probably possible to look at individual processes on server side and pinpoint the source of this issue.

Most other forums that had this issue pinpointed it as a sendmail problem, so that could be main area to inspect if it hasn't been looked at yet.

Source: https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...mitting-a-post
-----
One more thing I would like to add that is probably important: As you know first the page defaults to duplicate posts error. If you then quickly go back to the thread, your post actually won't be there no matter how many times you refresh, however, if you wait around 15 more seconds only then will the post show up. This means that the post is being delayed on server side even after the initial delay on client side.

Furthermore, when you post consecutively (like i did now) the delay is different. Instead of defaulting you to another page, it simply makes around 15 sec delay and then updates the post as normal.

Just trying to give as much information as possible. I would encourage other users to give all the info you notice as well as devs can't troubleshoot this themselves.
Last edited by Smaguris; Sep 3, 2019 at 06:00 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
This forum now has 20,545,784 posts. That's surely going to put a lot of load on database searches and updates.

The forums need a spring cleaning. It's possible to optimise it for a better user experience.
For example attachments and images should be moved to the file system, vb stores them in the database by default. Guests should have a highly reduced version of the forums, we currently have 360 guests that a majority of which are bots, this takes up bandwidth better served to actual users.

We might be doing this already, but if not we should serve all CSS and JavaScript from a CDN, perhaps even an IMG CDN would go a far way.
This would involve renting another server.

I'd imagine that posting issues could be caused by malfunctioning Asynchronous JavaScript and XML (AJAX).
AJAX is a very important part of optimising the server load.

To check this, an admin would go to AdminCP > Maintenance > Diagnostics > Problematic Webserver Modules

If any of the AJAX modules are misbehaving then that would certainly be a high priority avenue to go up. As AJAX primarily deals with quick replies etc.
Last edited by Tuna; Sep 6, 2019 at 04:02 PM.
Oddly enough I narrowed it down a bit. I was sick of having to wait 30 sec every time when posting so I tried everything I could, and turns out disabling cookies actually gets rid of this issue...somewhat. After disabling cookies I was able to make one post without the usual bug, but then the post that followed (still cookies disabled) was bugging out again. Quite odd but that's that
Last edited by Smaguris; Nov 4, 2019 at 12:56 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
This forum now has 20,545,784 posts. That's surely going to put a lot of load on database searches and updates.

The forums need a spring cleaning. It's possible to optimise it for a better user experience.
For example attachments and images should be moved to the file system, vb stores them in the database by default. Guests should have a highly reduced version of the forums, we currently have 360 guests that a majority of which are bots, this takes up bandwidth better served to actual users.

We might be doing this already, but if not we should serve all CSS and JavaScript from a CDN, perhaps even an IMG CDN would go a far way.
This would involve renting another server.

I'd imagine that posting issues could be caused by malfunctioning Asynchronous JavaScript and XML (AJAX).
AJAX is a very important part of optimising the server load.

To check this, an admin would go to AdminCP > Maintenance > Diagnostics > Problematic Webserver Modules

If any of the AJAX modules are misbehaving then that would certainly be a high priority avenue to go up. As AJAX primarily deals with quick replies etc.

Yes. It's atleast this. I was thinking more along the lines of a cache issue, but the forum is indeed old and humongous. I feel like there is a plethora of ways to deal with that problem. Not to mention, I feel like loading times for the site are also atrocious now.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Originally Posted by Smaguris View Post
Oddly enough I narrowed it down a bit. I was sick of having to wait 30 sec every time when posting so I tried everything I could, and turns out disabling cookies actually gets rid of this issue...somewhat. After disabling cookies I was able to make one post without the usual bug, but then the post that followed (still cookies disabled) was bugging out again. Quite odd but that's that

Don't think it was that, seems like the issue was with anti-spam system causing delays on one of our servers and not the other one.
Looking further into an ultimate fix, for now I just updated some settings here so that anti-spam only affects new accounts (not sure why that wasn't the thing in the first place anyway), if you still get the delays please let me know.
It happened to me but then it randomly just disappeared and I have no clue what could've caused it to do that.
ishi - "I'm Hampa's Bitch Slappin' Hand"
I'm so proud Sparky