Ranking
@GenkiSudo

I didn't click on any of the links but just by picking out a few I'm familiar with, I know they're not all Trip-hop. Björk and Röyksopp aren't even *near* Trip-hop.

And for the record, I wouldn't call Portishead depressing, but that's just me. I think their music is absolutely beautiful.
Originally Posted by iAmTheTot View Post
@GenkiSudo

I didn't click on any of the links but just by picking out a few I'm familiar with, I know they're not all Trip-hop. Björk and Röyksopp aren't even *near* Trip-hop.

And for the record, I wouldn't call Portishead depressing, but that's just me. I think their music is absolutely beautiful.

Actually artists and projects like Röyksopp and Björk blend many different styles. They often fit under different genres and sub-genres. They change from music to music and album to album. And those two projects definitely mess around with trip-top. Just look around the Internet and you'll understand.

So yeah, I didn't post exclusively trip-hop restricted artists. I also posted some that offer a more alternative type of sound.
Enigma for example is known for its New Age reputation. But they adopt different styles on many of their songs.
Music is like that. Its dynamic, fluid, and mutable. Beautiful.

Also: Feel free to listen to some of my list.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
I wasn't trying to bash you or anything. I'm not saying you don't know your stuff. But I've been listening to Röyksopp for many years, and I'd call them Electropop before even coming close to calling them trip-hop. Name one song that's trip hop, please. I'd really like to know where you got that from.

As do I. I have all their albums.
But, come on now. Not depressing? The only songs of theirs i can think of that aren't downers are "Glory Box" and "All Mine". And that one where a black man and woman sing.

Anyhow, i found some good songs from ones listed in this topic. Still nothing quite as complicated as Portishead melodies though. Here's one i kind of like"

I'm serious, I really wouldn't call them depressing. Sometimes it even cheers me up. I don't know, I just don't connect slow and admittedly dark to depressing. It's not like they're singing about depressing things most of the time -- Or, at least, not anymore depressing than most rock songs or pop songs. In fact if you want to go by lyrics to judge, then All Mine would be one of their more depressing ones -- It's even a little creepy, have you seen the music video? Reminds me of Stephen King's Misery, lol.
I wasn't trying to bash you or anything. I'm not saying you don't know your stuff. But I've been listening to Röyksopp for many years, and I'd call them Electropop before even coming close to calling them trip-hop. Name one song that's trip hop, please. I'd really like to know where you got that from.

Well ask and you shall receive.

Last edited by GenkiSudo; Apr 20, 2010 at 09:17 PM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Eh okay I can see where you're getting it from, I'll give you that. I just personally wouldn't call it trip hop. But again that's just me.
Eh okay I can see where you're getting it from, I'll give you that. I just personally wouldn't call it trip hop. But again that's just me.

Well... Whats your (personal) definition of trip hop?