Ranking
Originally Posted by m0o View Post
The AD900 will sound significantly better than the K701 and DT880 if you aren't using an amplifier.

Although the bass is quiet on the AD900, it has got reasonable impact, unlike hte K701 which has reasonable volume but virtually 0 impact.

If you're using an iphone, steer clear from k701 and dt880

By impact you mean that you can still hear it well right? I'll be using it indoors mostly so valume wouldn't be an issue.

Btw, would a good pc sound card have the same effect as an amp? Like one of those $200 omega ones. I think the k701 is outta the question now at least.

But how about the 32 ohm version of the dt880?
Now I'm just worried about comfort. Ad900 pads seem really think compared to dt880. How do they compare? Cuz I know beyers are usually really good for extended listening right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
By impact you mean that you can still hear it well right? I'll be using it indoors mostly so valume wouldn't be an issue.

I mean like slam.

Btw, would a good pc sound card have the same effect as an amp? Like one of those $200 omega ones. I think the k701 is outta the question now at least.

No, but you should get one (either an omega, an auzentech or an xonar ST). For the DAC if anything

But how about the 32 ohm version of the dt880?

Nah. The driver is heavier (meaning it is worse), and I doubt the actual power requirement changes; just that it relies more on current. If you're really interested you should read up on ohms law.

You could always contact beyerdynamic.de as well. I wouldn't listen to what they say on head-fi.

Now I'm just worried about comfort. Ad900 pads seem really think compared to dt880. How do they compare? Cuz I know beyers are usually really good for extended listening right?

DT880 and AD900 are both two of the most comfortable headphones in existence.
Okay, would you approve of this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-002-_-Product

I've never used a separate sound card before, so I'm not quite sure how much of an impact it would have.

AD900's first though!

Thanks for all the help, m0o
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

Incognito - [o]
Okay, would you approve of this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-002-_-Product

I've never used a separate sound card before, so I'm not quite sure how much of an impact it would have.

AD900's first though!

Thanks for all the help, m0o

Should be ok, I guess.

You might be able to pick up a used Xonar STX for even cheaper. The STX is stereo only though, but is of great quality. The new version (Xonar ST) is 7.1 capable, IIRC.

I wouldn't pay for 7.1 unless you are going to use it.

If you game a lot, I quite like a lot of the filters on the auzentech prelude. Otherwise.. yeah.

How much of a difference you think anything makes is an idividual thing, but IMVHO upgrading from an onboard soundcard to a quality one makes a huge difference. Be sure you have the spare slot(s) to put the card in, of course.

What kind of music do you listen to again?

By the way, can people please quote our conversation if at all possible when responding to me as its hard to keep track of who does what

PS. If you really want the DT880, you could look at getting a cheap AMP/DAC combo (basically a soundcard but it is external and thus usable with a laptop as well), like the AudioGD Compass.
Last edited by m0o; Mar 27, 2010 at 03:31 PM.
Originally Posted by m0o View Post
Should be ok, I guess.

You might be able to pick up a used Xonar STX for even cheaper. The STX is stereo only though, but is of great quality. The new version (Xonar ST) is 7.1 capable, IIRC.

I wouldn't pay for 7.1 unless you are going to use it.

If you game a lot, I quite like a lot of the filters on the auzentech prelude. Otherwise.. yeah.

How much of a difference you think anything makes is an idividual thing, but IMVHO upgrading from an onboard soundcard to a quality one makes a huge difference. Be sure you have the spare slot(s) to put the card in, of course.

What kind of music do you listen to again?

By the way, can people please quote our conversation if at all possible when responding to me as its hard to keep track of who does what

PS. If you really want the DT880, you could look at getting a cheap AMP/DAC combo (basically a soundcard but it is external and thus usable with a laptop as well), like the AudioGD Compass.

Okay, I've pretty much decided on the ad900 and use what I have left towards the best soundcard or amp I could buy, although that's not my biggest concern.

BUT....I never made sure, but these WOULD be better overall than UE Triplefi 10's right? Cuz, if not, then I think the improvement might be larger with a good soundcard/amp?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

Incognito - [o]
Okay, I've pretty much decided on the ad900 and use what I have left towards the best soundcard or amp I could buy, although that's not my biggest concern.

BUT....I never made sure, but these WOULD be better overall than UE Triplefi 10's right? Cuz, if not, then I think the improvement might be larger with a good soundcard/amp?

IMO theyre much better than the TF10s for reasons of soundstage and comfort alone.

Please keep in mind that the TF10s are fairly bassy (IMO too bassy), and the AD900 is significantly less bassy than the TF10s (although it slams better its not as loud). The TF10 has recessed mids compared to the AD900s.

The AD900 is a much more "hifi" sound than the TF10s.
Yeah the bass is fatiguing.

Btw, I just saw the ad700 for 79 bucks on amazon. Usually 250. O.o Impulse buy?

Or 900 for 250

EDIT: Just can't bring myself to buy the ad700 when the 900 just seems to be better in every single way.

Gonna keep looking for better prices on the 900
Last edited by DarkJak; Mar 29, 2010 at 12:38 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

Incognito - [o]
Yeah the bass is fatiguing.

Btw, I just saw the ad700 for 79 bucks on amazon. Usually 250. O.o Impulse buy?

Or 900 for 250

EDIT: Just can't bring myself to buy the ad700 when the 900 just seems to be better in every single way.

Gonna keep looking for better prices on the 900

AD700 basically always hovers on $79 on amazon.
It's great value for money.

900 is better in every way (its basically like a direct upgrade; one of the few you will find in audio).

You could post a WTB on head-fi or audiogon if you dont mind going used (theyre generally pretty good condition)
Okay, I was just really freaked out by such a low price. Why aren't the ad900's so much lower though? Are they really that much better?

I'd really appreciate a link to a price lower than 250 too. Browsing the FS section, I saw one that was 3.5 years old sell for 200. I'll wait a few more days to see if any pop up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

Incognito - [o]
Okay, I was just really freaked out by such a low price. Why aren't the ad900's so much lower though? Are they really that much better?

I'd really appreciate a link to a price lower than 250 too. Browsing the FS section, I saw one that was 3.5 years old sell for 200. I'll wait a few more days to see if any pop up.

Yes and no. The distance between ibuds and AD700 is HUGE, but the difference between AD900 and AD700 is not huge. It's big enough to justify the price difference locally.

Ad700 is so much cheaper on amazon for no reason in particular (theyre much more expensive everywhere else).

Whether you think the price difference is worth it is up to you.

I'd recommend the AD900 as the better headphone, I wouldnt recommend it as better value for money when compared to the amazon price for the AD700.
Last edited by m0o; Mar 29, 2010 at 08:17 PM.