ES Recruitment Drive
Originally Posted by randomguy8 View Post
I got them and they're exactly what i wanted. Thanks for the help

Enjoy.
Some quick information about the types of headphones I recommend.

The types of headphones I recommend are the kind that I would give the most head-time to, rather than the headphones that provide the initial "WOW" factor (which tend to be heavily coloured, particularly to the bass end of the spectrum), but homogenise what you listen to (i.e. make it all sound the same).

I'm not against coloured sound; in fact I think in some cases it is good (eg. a rolled off treble makes a headphone easy to listen to for hours) or a slightly forward bass can add some visceral impact, but I find that closer to neutral (but generally not completely neutral) tends to get the most headtime overall.

I started my audiophile journey with a very bass heavy headphone, which gave me an initial "wow" factor, however now it gets zero headtime, despite being quite a fun headphone to listen to, because the bass simply overpowers everything else and everything sounds the same through it.

Most of what I recommend (depending on the price range) is high quality and will be ideal sounding for the long-term IMO.

If you buy anything recommended here, you should give it at least two weeks of solid listening before you decide to return it (if you buy from a place that has a return policy, which I would recommend in most cases unless such places result in excessive markup in your area).

---

Also, another thing, a lot of these headphones will go very loud from even an ipod.

Dont damage your hearing, try and keep it at as low a level as possible; if you keep the volume low and listen hard, after some time the volume will seem to be louder than it was before.

Also, look after the cables (dont pull them, dont run them over).
Last edited by m0o; Dec 3, 2009 at 01:05 AM.
Alright, hey there.

I've come to a point where my old headset just wont do it anymore and now I want a new one.

This is the deal, the price is not any issue, I've been saving for just this matter so I would like to be given some advice...

What type of headset would you buy if the price was no issue. Thing is that I am a complete rookie when it comes to these things and have therefore no clue what to look for. I am not looking for some "mega-ultra-bass" headset, I guess I could find some surround system for that if I want more clarity in my music.

I had a Siberian Icemat headset which I bought a few years ago and I think it is quite good but I really can't tell because I have nothing to compare it with. I am guessing "gaming" headset are just overpriced and not made for music, or am I wrong?

Isolation is no issue and I do not care about looks either, they all look gorgeous in my eyes.

Thank you.
Dirt dosen't need luck
I've got triple.fi 10's and I love them, and I am looking for a good pair of full size cans.

Most important is a neutral sound and above all, good detail.
I will probably be using these for gaming too, so a good soundstage would be nice. Also, around ear pads that don't push on the ear would be a great bonus for me.

I'm really trying to keep the price under $300, but I can MAAAYBE go to $350 if it also has good build or detachable cabling. I really don't care much for the looks either, since I always have my tf10's when I'm out of the house.

Do you have any in mind?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Hey I need some new headphones and I'm cheap.
Like below 50$ cheap.
I need something good for listening to stuff like pendelum and metallica on.
Bass is a big deal for me but just some good headphones will be cool.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
-Mohandas Gandhi
Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
I've got triple.fi 10's and I love them, and I am looking for a good pair of full size cans.

Most important is a neutral sound and above all, good detail.
I will probably be using these for gaming too, so a good soundstage would be nice. Also, around ear pads that don't push on the ear would be a great bonus for me.

I'm really trying to keep the price under $300, but I can MAAAYBE go to $350 if it also has good build or detachable cabling. I really don't care much for the looks either, since I always have my tf10's when I'm out of the house.

Do you have any in mind?

AD900.

The DT880 or K701 are also great options, but these need a good amp to really shine.

Keep in mind that using onboard sound with an AD900 probably isnt the best idea.

Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Hey I need some new headphones and I'm cheap.
Like below 50$ cheap.
I need something good for listening to stuff like pendelum and metallica on.
Bass is a big deal for me but just some good headphones will be cool.

Koss Porta pro. I wouldnt suggest going much higher than a portapro for pendulum or metallica. They really sound bad on hifi systems.

Originally Posted by Madouken View Post
Alright, hey there.

I've come to a point where my old headset just wont do it anymore and now I want a new one.

This is the deal, the price is not any issue, I've been saving for just this matter so I would like to be given some advice...

What type of headset would you buy if the price was no issue. Thing is that I am a complete rookie when it comes to these things and have therefore no clue what to look for. I am not looking for some "mega-ultra-bass" headset, I guess I could find some surround system for that if I want more clarity in my music.

I had a Siberian Icemat headset which I bought a few years ago and I think it is quite good but I really can't tell because I have nothing to compare it with. I am guessing "gaming" headset are just overpriced and not made for music, or am I wrong?

Isolation is no issue and I do not care about looks either, they all look gorgeous in my eyes.

Thank you.

I wouldn't buy a headset at all. I'd buy an AD700 and a Zalmann clipon if it was just for games or an AD900 and a clipon mic.

These are both bass light, but are extremely clear sounding and have good soundstage for gaming. You should get a new soundcard if you are using onboard.

Theres certainly better out there for bass response, but these perform well in their price for going unamped.
Sorry, if I wasn't clear but I did not want anything for gaming, but that is what I got from following my dear friends. They also worship Razer and keep telling me their headsets are the best thing ever made, but my head just hurts when I try them on and I can't seriously tell any different from their new "gaming headsets" from my half-working siberian icemat.

I want something soley used for music.

Will look into what you suggested however.
Dirt dosen't need luck
Originally Posted by Madouken View Post
Sorry, if I wasn't clear but I did not want anything for gaming, but that is what I got from following my dear friends. They also worship Razer and keep telling me their headsets are the best thing ever made, but my head just hurts when I try them on and I can't seriously tell any different from their new "gaming headsets" from my half-working siberian icemat.

I want something soley used for music.

Will look into what you suggested however.

Oh what music genres do you listen to most often? I dont really read thoroughly, I skim
Symphonic metal, but have later started to listen more and more to differnent types of electronical music, thinking about Goatrance.
Dirt dosen't need luck
Hey those ProPorta phones you suggested are little high up in price for me (CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP >:| )
Found these though, would these be alright?
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
-Mohandas Gandhi