Ranking
Original Post
Buying new headset
So I was looking for a new headset, I need one with microphone attached to it, preferably wireless headset but doesn't have to be.

Something in the 125-350$ range

I don't care about design what so ever, I'm all about sound and microphone quality.

Logitech series is an obvious choice
https://www.komplett.no/logitech-g43...headset/775781
but.. Looking through other options would be nice.

any suggestions/experiences?
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm

AntLion ModMic

Asus Xonar DGX GX2.5 Soundcard

If you go for sound quality don't buy Headsets. Headphones are what you want. the ModMic has a velcro/magnetic mechanism, you can attach it to the earcups of any headphones and make your own "Headset".

A Headphone like this needs a good soundcard to get everything out of it, your onboard sound has a limited quality output and will make it sound like any other 70$ headphone. I chose the Asus Xonar GX 2.5 since this is a Stereo headphone. The driver is really great and provides almost-real surround sound. If you want "the best" sound, totally forget about your onboard sound.

You could also buy a Beyerdynamic MMX300, wich is basicly a DT 770 with a microphone attached, but it is valued around 350$ and would still require a soundcard to be great and not just good.
Last edited by Mongius; Jul 24, 2015 at 08:17 PM.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
^ +1 for separating headphones and microphone.

Also there's no point getting a 7.1 headset, because you only have 2 ears! Surround sound in a theater is to give multiple people the feeling of sound coming from all around them, but only 1 person wears a set of headphones at a time, so there is absolutely no benefit from getting 7.1 headphones - and what's more the manufacturers have to fit a lot more drivers into each cup, resulting in smaller lower quality drivers. If you buy a stereo headset not only are they a lot cheaper, but they sound is a lot better too.

Logitech do make a stereo headset in the same series as that 430 you linked; https://www.komplett.no/logitech-g23...headset/775782

Stereo and 3.5mm are the two things you mainly want. Brands are fairly subjective.

If you want to go for separate mic and headphones (modmic or otherwise) then look for audio headphones.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
can't have omni directional microphone, will annoy the shit out of people having to listen to my mechanical keyboard. Also I would prefer external soundcard over internal.

also thanks for lecturing me on this headphone thing, I had no idea I knew this little about sound.
Beyerdynamic MMX300 is a bit much I feel like.
Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 is what my bro have, I guess I can ask him for inputs.

also about the microphone, I guess it doesn't have to be attached to the headphones. I'd prefer if it was connected, but doesn't have to be.
Last edited by Ezeth; Jul 25, 2015 at 10:50 AM.
There are a couple of good large diaphragm microphones such as the t.bone sc 400 or Blue Snowball. They are both valued at 50$ and i recommand to always pick the 3.5mm one and avoid any USB audio as much as you can.

The point with internal soundcards is the price/performance you get. a 30$ internal soundcard performs easily as good as a 60$ USB soundcard.

I don't have much experience with external ones, a friend of mine uses the Creative Sound Blaster Omni wich sounds quite nice, but I'm not absolutely sure if it can fully power the 250 Ohms.

And just fyi here are some brands you can orient on
Microphones : t.Bone, Sennheiser, Blue, Rode, AKG
Headphones : AKG, Sennheiser, Superlux (manufacturer for AKG), Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Marshall (Rock/Metal only), Pioneer, Ultrasone
Soundcards : Asus, Creative

Edit : Also avoid this 5.1 and 7.1 marketing crap. In most cases there are not even that much speakers in your earcups. Allmost all of the time there are 2 speakers with an internal driver that activates digital surround sound. And even if there are 5 or 7 speakers in your cups, these are tiny crappy speakers. for a real 80$ 7.1 headphone you get 7 crappy 10$ speakers while on a stereo you get two 40$ high-quality speakers.
Last edited by Mongius; Jul 25, 2015 at 01:09 PM.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
Mobos have good enough sound cards now days, I personally wouldn't bother. Amp maybe, but dac nah.

Mong knows his stuff.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
so yes going for the Beyerdynamic headphones DT770 Pro 80
and the asus sonar internal sound-drive, I found that I have free pci slots so its no problem. I actually asked my bro what headphones/soundcard he recommended and he said the exact same stuff as you did mongius.
as for the microphone I'll just go to the store and see whats there.

Thank you guys so much for the help, really appreciated
Mobos nowadays have relatively good soundchips nowadays. Most Mobos are equipped with Realtek 892 chips. Of course these are better than any 2009 soundchip, but still not good if you go over regular impedance (30-32 ohms). Even highend Z97 and X99 boards in the 200$ segment are euipped with Realtek 1150's. The maximum they work on are 80 ohms. Some Asus exclusives offer a Creative chip, but still it is pointless to pay 200+ for a slightly better onboard chip. I would never use a headphone above 60$ with onboard sound. Even then, the quality could be better if the manufacturers increase their impedance. But higher impedance means more resistance and quieter drivers, unless you connect it to a dedicated soundcard.

Years ago I bought a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music and am still happy with it. It was 20 bucks at a local shop and it still does its work. It supports up to 600 ohms and suits me perfect. Wouldn't recommand buying it nowadays, since more and more Mobos ditch the PCI slots and it is quite a hassle to get it working on Windows 8.1.

Just for testing i plugged my subwoofer (Logitech z523) into my onboard. on 60% volume it started scratching. On the card it can be tuned up to 100% without any noise. And this is just a 70$ sub. Since Ezeth is looking for "the best" sound, he needs the tools to output it.

Mong knows his stuff.

I used to work at a computer hardware store so I got myself educated about this kind of stuff.

EDIT : No problem, enjoy your new world of sound