Ranking
Original Post
Ranking Updates
This thread's purpose is to gather more thoughts on Matchmaking and how it should work.

Toribash development team is currently focused on making the Matchmaking system work as you would expect a proper matchmaking to, and we would like to make sure our current plans fit community's desires and views on it. Any thoughts and new ideas are welcome and will be considered.

What is currently planned to be implemented:

• Ranked - a "first to 3" duel
    • No mod choice - players get to fight in randomly selected mods (mod changes each fight).
      Draft mod list: aikidobigdojo.tbm, taekkyon.tbm, lenshu3ng.tbm (or rk-mma.tbm), judofrac.tbm
    • Brown belt restriction
    • Seasonal rank resets (3 months for season length)
    • No daily rank 1 reward. Instead, weekly rewards for top n players or one-time reward at the end of the season.
    • Matchmaking being the only way to rank up.

• Unranked - a "first to 2" duel
    • Pick the mod group to play
    • No belt restriction

We also plan to disable daily rank 1 rewards for now as it has turned into "farm rank without getting caught" fest.
It doesn't mean that everybody with top ranks farmed their way up, but Event Squad members have to deal with rank-related reports on almost a daily basis. We may still reward top players in some way.

EDIT (10/03/2017):
Originally Posted by sir View Post
Matchmaking mods have been changed, mod list now consists of "classic" mods.

Grappling: aikido.tbm, aikidobigdojo.tbm, greykido.tbm
Kicking: taekkyon.tbm, erthtkv2.tbm, kickbox.tbm
Striking: lenshu3ng.tbm, rk-mma.tbm, wushu3box.tbm

Last edited by sir; Mar 12, 2017 at 12:12 AM.
I agree 100% with cowmeat. An increase in competitiveness would be awesome but I think that going too far would scare away an already diminishing player base. I believe that this should not be seen as a way to increase the popularity of the game but more as a way to increase quality. If we push too hard to go to something like esports it would ruin a lot of what the current players play for. A popularity increase would have to come from elsewhere.
[a]dventure

This list applies for both ranked and unranked for now, but ranked rooms will use all the mods no matter what search options you used.

Default TC has also been changed to 10. Still seem to reset back to 5, will have it fixed.
Planning to raise it up to 50 TC per win this weekend to see how the system works when more players use it.
Last edited by sir; Mar 9, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
Originally Posted by sir View Post

This list applies for both ranked and unranked for now, but ranked rooms will use all the mods no matter what search options you used.

Default TC has also been changed to 10. Still seem to reset back to 5, will have it fixed.
Planning to raise it up to 50 TC per win this weekend to see how the system works when more players use it.

I think new mods are better
NO TITLE
I like the new rotation, what about mod specific matchmaking though?
[21:55] Icky: How the fuck can i make witty lines about blossoms without going full weeb
Hey a thing is happening in Toribash, I think there should be some kind of icon or in game item(think leg elf or gm arm band) that shows what rank you were at the end of a season. And to go along with that maybe some larger categorization based on %.

<League of Legends Ranking Comparison>
Say toribash has 100 ranked players, so top 3 are tier 1(master equivalent) 4-10 are tier 2(diamond equivalent), top 25 are tier 3(platinum equivalent), top 40 tier 4(gold equivalent), top 75 tier 5(silver) and the rest tier 6 or bronze.

I think what you've come up with is a good place to start, and I'm glad TB is trying to get back on its feet, but I think having a little more recognition for having a rank that's high, but not quite rank 1, would be cool.

P.S I don't think trying to implement matchmaking based on ranking; eg. master equivalent can only matchmake vs other master, diamond, or plats would make sense with such a small player base, I'm just saying that I think it would be cool to have some secondary indication of rank, even if it's just an icon.
Last edited by Grim; Mar 10, 2017 at 01:43 AM.
♥Team Aikido-[Obey]-OoT-[Vibe]-Team Pokemon♥
I don't see why stretch matchmaking cannot be a thing.

You start with a matchmaking target audience of only those who have are at a very similar level to you, and the longer you wait, the further out this extends.

Saves time and avoids long waiting times, whilst ensuring that, if the right people are on to play you, you are playing them, not some random who has just started the game.
[21:55] Icky: How the fuck can i make witty lines about blossoms without going full weeb
i think a ranking system would be cool. we should have seasons which is basically like the monthly thing, but i dont have another word for season since if lets say it were to be 3 months pers season we would be at season 4 in the span of the year, catching my drift?

but i think whoever gets in the highest rank should have a reward. for example special made 3d items or something + tc instead of giving tc for being rank 1 for a day. instead the players in the targeted rank should all receive prizes, this would make the ranking system fair because it isn't a farm fiesta on who can farm the most games without the staff finding out. this also doesnt just give incentive to players who just want tc, but players who love collecting rare items, etc.

i also thought the random matchmaking was a very good idea, and perhaps why dont we let the community have a poll on what mod they would like for the current 'season'

(once again i cant think of a better word than season but if you guys have played a game like league of legends then you would understand)

what do you guys think of my input?

edit: i just read some of the posts and it was basically the same concept as mine lol, but i changed it up very little, somewhat
Last edited by easydubs; Mar 10, 2017 at 05:00 AM.
Originally Posted by BlueEvil View Post
sounds good like it is
-----

wow and also sorry that i have to deny this, erthtk was made for ppl who cant get into the normal tk... if you didn't know this already
tk is more viable for skill than erthtk
erthtk is nice tho

Same argument could be made for aikido, judo and wushu-like mods, heck, bring back casual (nomod) and stabjutsu while we're at it...
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
you should seriously put the matchmake button inbetween free play and multiplayer, that way many more people would use it simply because they can see it directly and are reminded of it's existance before they join a room
I don't think there should be 3 month resets. Every 1 month is fine.
*Pulls more tail then a special needs child at the petting zoo*