Toribash
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Well this is just not true. Tekken is certainly not balanced, we see the same few top picks every season from the top players. People like to throw out Rangchus TWT win as a reasoning as to why Tekken is actually balanced.
That just absolutely horrible use of argumentation for the fact that Tekken is or isnt balanced. We have ONE case where a "low tier" wins any kind of a major, literally just one. Arguing that the game is balanced because of a single real upset ever is insanity. The truth is that top tiers dominate tournament play every season. Rangchu didn't win because Tekken 7 is balanced, Rangchu won despite Tekken 7 not being balanced.

But yeah I do agree that if you are not aiming to become a competitive player, you shouldn't look at tier lists too much.

I'm talking relatively, compared to other fighting games Tekken 7 is pretty balanced, Look at Street Fighter or MK11, even if it's not tournament play you can barely win against top tier characters. Tiers only matter in tekken when you're starting to reach the skill ceiling, ofcourse there are gonna be top tiers that are just difficult to go up against because of the fact that they're already top tier + easy to use (Fuckerman, Leeroy) but it's still not skill ceiling, chances are people using fuckerman and leeroy are just spamming strings, just learn to punish them.

SOMTHING NEW SOMETHING NEW

Originally Posted by Sunther View Post
I'm talking relatively, compared to other fighting games Tekken 7 is pretty balanced, Look at Street Fighter or MK11, even if it's not tournament play you can barely win against top tier characters. Tiers only matter in tekken when you're starting to reach the skill ceiling, ofcourse there are gonna be top tiers that are just difficult to go up against because of the fact that they're already top tier + easy to use (Fuckerman, Leeroy) but it's still not skill ceiling, chances are people using fuckerman and leeroy are just spamming strings, just learn to punish them.

You are talking at two different levels. When you talk about low skill level gameplay tiers don't even look the same.
Leroy isn't actually even that good at low levels play and on the reverse characters like Bears become S tier.
When you want to discuss tiers you have to look at high levels of play, and at high levels of play tiers matter a lot.
I don't play other fighting games so I wouldnt know about their balance.

"Easy to use" characters aren't often actually easy to use at low levels of play.
Kazumi isn't a strong pick in the hands of a bad player, even tho she is suuuper easy.
The reason for that is that she is easy if you have the required amount of tekken fundamentals.
But if you dont carry those fundamentals, Kazumi doesnt have anything she can do to edge out wins.

Tier lists change depending on the level of play, at lower levels, cheese, frame traps and strong offensive flowcharts reign supreme.
At higher levels of play, spammable neutral solvers like steve df2, good counterhit tools and strong pokes and lows become more impactful.

Also on the topic of "reaching skill ceiling", nobody is reaching skill ceiling or getting even close to it in tekken any time soon or possibly ever, the game is just too complex for that to ever happen.
Last edited by cowmeat; Jan 26, 2021 at 09:35 AM.
Remember that time when everyone played Leroy in the tournament

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'm your top tier waifu.
Visit my panda thread!
I'm also Event Squad! Slide into my DMs for questions!
Pssst! Aeon is just boomer Adventure. Pass it on.
good times, balancedest game
<[Vector]Aadame> damn pat with his mod skills
Need help? PM me! Reach me on Discord: Lionet#1325

Watch my Replays!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Like Fahk is still a major problem. Like people don't even actively play him, but just bust him out in tournaments.
A character shouldn't be that strong as to just pocket him for tournaments and play someone you like on off time.
Zafina, fahk, akuma, steve, leroy, DVJ are all real problem characters atm.
the only thing that bother me about Fahk is his hitboxes and mobility. it doesnt make sense that a character as big as Gigas moves faster than most of the cast and also has a female hitbox
<[Vector]Aadame> damn pat with his mod skills
Need help? PM me! Reach me on Discord: Lionet#1325

Watch my Replays!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I cant deal with steve unless i out spam him same with hwoarang
-----
giving leroy a try exclusively for ranked because kazuya isn't working out very well
im scum now
Last edited by id; Jan 27, 2021 at 03:38 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Like Fahk is still a major problem. Like people don't even actively play him, but just bust him out in tournaments.
A character shouldn't be that strong as to just pocket him for tournaments and play someone you like on off time.
Zafina, fahk, akuma, steve, leroy, DVJ are all real problem characters atm.

Steve got nerfed
DVJ is balanced
Akuma needs high execution to have big damage output

the others are just busted

its kinda becoming a pay to win game; can't blame em though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toribash Season 1 Rank 3 | Ex-ES Artist | Ex-Mascot of [Alpha]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
Steve got nerfed but is still being pocketed by most top players, especially in Korea.
DVJ is super oppressive at all levels and is being played in s4 tournaments by multiple top players, he is currently my tournament pick as well.
Akuma needs high execution but its not that big of a deal, since the execution is in combos so its only a matter of muscle memory. Neutral doesnt require any execution so its really not that big of a deal.

DLC chars are pretty strong overall that's true.
Complaining about steve, DVJ, and akuma being used by top players is ridiculous.

hE cAn dO pErFeCt ElEcTrIcS, dVj iS bRoKeN

ofc he can do PEWGF's... he took the time to practice it

Something truly broken would be a total noob playing on a character, spamming some moves, and winning against the average - top player.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toribash Season 1 Rank 3 | Ex-ES Artist | Ex-Mascot of [Alpha]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER