Toribash
Original Post
suggestions regarding current online system in toribash
Some things that should've been fixed long ago to make it much more user friendly but have never changed, even in a game that relies on multiplayer so much.

clicking in multiplayer without internet connection should open the multiplayer browser saying "no internet connection", but instead toribash simply stops responding, which forces you to close and open the game again. -- why is this a problem?
This means that if you're browsing the server list or tries to join a server with the command and your internet 'stutters', it forces you to re-open the game. For anyone that has an unstable connection, this can be very patience-taking.

Internet stuttering while inside a server instantly disconnects you from the server. And istead of trying to reconnect you while your ghost is still ingame like a normal game would, Toribash does the opposite. It blocks you, because of multiclienting. --- why is this such a problem? it proves how unpolished toribash is, regarding multiplayer aspects. While the game is so focused on advancing to Toribash 5.0, it forgets to perfect the basic aspects of a mainly multiplayer game.

Honestly, a better option to allow multiclienting and STILL avoid farming is quite simple: Both of them CAN be in the same server, but one of them is forced to spectate. This option could POSSIBLY also fix the disconnecting problem, allowing the player to reconnect to the server, his second 'being' in the server would be forced to spectate, while the first one was still in the active match, which would, theorically, allow him to come back to the match.

These suggestions are based on my personal experience regarding these aspects. Things I feel that should change in order to achieve a much better and user-friendly multiplayer gameplay.
Last edited by Rial; Jul 29, 2015 at 08:26 PM.
:^)
Hahaha I suffer with these things daily, but never thought to complain about it!

Great suggestions, agreed totally! The thing is TB is a turn-based game, so trying to reconnect the player after a ping should be a MUST. (since it doesn't effect the course of the game)

The problem is though that TB uses a queue system so it might be tedious for other players.

The "not responding" after clicking on multiplayer with no connection is a must fix though.
Your messed up world enthrills me
Originally Posted by Rial View Post
Internet stuttering while inside a server instantly disconnects you from the server. And istead of trying to reconnect you while your ghost is still ingame like a normal game would, Toribash does the opposite. It blocks you, because of multiclienting. --- why is this such a problem? it proves how unpolished toribash is, regarding multiplayer aspects. While the game is so focused on advancing to Toribash 5.0, it forgets to perfect the basic aspects of a mainly multiplayer game.

I often hear idiotic kiais and hitsounds, so when I'm up against a player with said hitsounds, I tend to hit the mute button. Well, on my keyboard, mute is very close to airplane mode. I have hit it before while in an online toribash server. It severs my internet completley. I have actually been able to turn airplane mode off and reconnect to my wifi before connection to the server is lost. The game would continue as if nothing had happened.

Just thought I'd mention that.
Originally Posted by error View Post
I often hear idiotic kiais and hitsounds, so when I'm up against a player with said hitsounds, I tend to hit the mute button. Well, on my keyboard, mute is very close to airplane mode. I have hit it before while in an online toribash server. It severs my internet completley. I have actually been able to turn airplane mode off and reconnect to my wifi before connection to the server is lost. The game would continue as if nothing had happened.

Just thought I'd mention that.

That situation is still different than when your actual internet connection is facing problems. If you're fast enough to click the airplane mode again and reconnect, that IS possible. When your actual internet faces stuttering though, it is not such 'controlled' situation in which you can quickly reconnect, you rely on your internet reconnecting fast enough for you to come back. This goes beyond something you can control, and pretty much every toribash player has been through it. -- definitely not stating it as a good thing, toribash must search for more efficient ways to reconnect to a match in case such thing happens, at least one that doesn't rely so much on 'luck'.
Originally Posted by Rial View Post
That situation is still different than when your actual internet connection is facing problems. If you're fast enough to click the airplane mode again and reconnect, that IS possible. When your actual internet faces stuttering though, it is not such 'controlled' situation in which you can quickly reconnect, you rely on your internet reconnecting fast enough for you to come back. This goes beyond something you can control, and pretty much every toribash player has been through it. -- definitely not stating it as a good thing, toribash must search for more efficient ways to reconnect to a match in case such thing happens, at least one that doesn't rely so much on 'luck'.

Problem is, Toribash has a timer. If your playing about pretty much any mod in the game other than parkour/spar, chances are that the timer will end before you reconnect.
That would force the game to continue without you moving any joints and if you don't have a serious advantage(or serious luck), you are ded. At least you don't lose ELO when you ping because of the ranking system changes.
Anyway, the only way to counter that is to practically pause the game without the operator doing anything and nobody wants to wait 10 minutes for somebody's internet to become stable again especially when there's a large queue (a bet's server for example). Also, the game would also have to figure out whether you are pinging or going unresponsive. Both produce the same results(you are not pinging with the Toribash server) but for different reasons. Pinging is because of your internet and unresponsive is because of your computer not being good, therefore making it hard for Toribash to run without running out of memory or something like that. This is something that the game can figure out only after the problem has been going on for too long and you go rip.
"Who wouldn't pass up gay sex with Bercat?"
"Day is probably masturbating to Osu"- Hydra 2k15
Originally Posted by qukslice View Post
Problem is, Toribash has a timer. If your playing about pretty much any mod in the game other than parkour/spar, chances are that the timer will end before you reconnect.
That would force the game to continue without you moving any joints and if you don't have a serious advantage(or serious luck), you are ded. At least you don't lose ELO when you ping because of the ranking system changes.
Anyway, the only way to counter that is to practically pause the game without the operator doing anything and nobody wants to wait 10 minutes for somebody's internet to become stable again especially when there's a large queue (a bet's server for example). Also, the game would also have to figure out whether you are pinging or going unresponsive. Both produce the same results(you are not pinging with the Toribash server) but for different reasons. Pinging is because of your internet and unresponsive is because of your computer not being good, therefore making it hard for Toribash to run without running out of memory or something like that. This is something that the game can figure out only after the problem has been going on for too long and you go rip.

The game doesn't need to stop, the timer can just keep going while the player tries to reconnect, if he doesn't come back soon enough, he'll inevitably lose, but at the least he had time and chance to reconnect, rather than being instantly disqualified by losing connection. Instead of being kicked out of the room, it would appear (disconnected) by the side of the player name. Obviously, this feature would only apply to players in the active match - and possibly players with active bets in the room - giving them chance to reconnect and not lose their match and/or TC.

Considering this new feature I suggested, the player would still not lose ELO when losing because he was disconnected, but his tori would stay in the match until the end so he would still have a chance to reconnect.
Last edited by Rial; Aug 2, 2015 at 05:25 PM.
Adding another suggestion:

Why not if someone pings, he get automatically his place back..if he comes back to the room in like an interval of 5min
Your messed up world enthrills me