ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
[Music] Forget
https://soundcloud.com/ojyrii/forget

Made w/ free loops provided by MAGIX and Audacity.

I will get FL Studio soon to start being more professional but here is something I made with free loops a while back. It's simple but I love it. You don't have to give me CnC, just tell me what you think. I wanted it to sound very 'natural' and atmospheric.

Oh and here is something I just want to say;

You may think 'free loops' and think "okay, 99% of this track was already made" but I can assure you it's not that simple. I had to make sure sure it flowed nicely and each instrument worked with one another as well as make the chords, tempo, sound effects, the choir thingy in the background (I think its called a pad) was hard to get to sound smooth too and some other stuff. The only downfall I see is it is too repetitive but this is something I can never re-make because just too much work went into it and even with the loops I wouldn't be able to do it again. I don't know if you have tried making stuff with free loops before but it isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world unless you have a set of loops which match each other perfectly. Like...does this song sound like it was made with free loops? Exactly, much effort was put in.
Just wanted to get that out of the way heh. Enjoy!

P.S. Game Devs; I think this track is nice to use as toribashs main background music.
Last edited by jyrii; Jul 29, 2015 at 09:53 PM.
Contact Kradel if you need me.
I think the track is quite enjoyable and even if it is somewhat repetitive overall, there's still some kind of variation.
And personally, if I really like a part of a song, I wouldn't really mind if that part goes on for 10 minutes without anything changing.

One thing you can do about the song being to repetitive is to remove some of the loops at a few parts, like for a breakdown and stuff like that.

Also, about the other stuff you've mentioned:
I think the most important thing in music production is to have fun making music and also to make the music for yourself. And for this, it shouldn't really matter how you make your music.
(Obviously, once you're showcasing your song in a forum, for example, you'll encounter people telling you that it's a bit hard to give CnC on something that was made purely out of loops, since that's indeed quite difficult, especially if you're used to making everything or most of your stuff from scratch.)

Back in 2005 I got MAGIX's Music Maker 2006 and I had a lot of fun working with it, however it also always felt a bit limited, it had a few synths, sure, but it was rather made for putting loops together. And with loops, you'll never have the same amount of control over what you're creating than if you were using a less loop based approach.

I mean, Music Maker gives you a huge array of loops, if you find something you like, you can chose between a few different pitches, and that's it. Beside of that, you don't really have control about the melody or the mood of your song, you can only use things others made. And that's pretty much the reason why I've switched to a demo of Fruity Loops after like a year of using Music Maker, since that one offered more tools for actually creating sounds yourself. And I think that's the important thing, if you feel like your current tools are limiting your creativity, it's probably time to switch to something more advanced, but until then working with whatever you have is fine as well.
Last edited by Pitch; Jul 29, 2015 at 11:16 PM.
I really enjoyed reading your comment. Thank you for taking the time to write that. I agree with everything you've said too. Is it cool if I message you for advice later on?
Contact Kradel if you need me.
Sure thing, I'm probably a bit rusty with FL Studio related things tho, since I'm using Ableton Live now.
They differ in the tools that come with them and Ableton has a second view, called "Session View" in which you could trigger midi clips for each instrument with a launchpad, for example, which is probably the greatest difference between them. Beside of that, iirc, FL Studio had the mixer in an extra window where the sound routing was a bit more complicated than in Ableton Live.
Live's design (including synths and effects) is quite minimalistic compared to FL Studio.

A really nice thing about FL Studio is that you can use both 32bit and 64bit plugins, while Live can only load 64bit plugins if it runs in 64bit mode.

Can't really remember anything else from FL Studio that differs from Live right now, but they are definitely both great (just as all the other DAWs out there)
Last edited by Pitch; Jul 30, 2015 at 12:21 AM.