Ranking
Original Post
the 4th dimension
What do you think is there? How would it be possible for us to reach it?

Q#1: God.(Let the hate roll in)

Q#2: Jury is still out on that one

Ill make this thread better if it gains some popularity, ill also add the ideas i see below and more questions c:
It's impossible. It's all about perception.

2D is basically a square where lines meet at a right angle, 3D is where right angles meet each other, and 4D is where cubes themselves meet each other. We just simply cannot perceive it, and all the pictures you see online are just visualizations, not actual proof that we are able to see them.
2-D picture of a 3-D isometric cube, implying a 4-D structure.
Attached Thumbnails
Hollow Cube Taiji Two 2.0.jpg  
SuicideDo, the Brewtal Drunken Immortal.
Originally Posted by SuicideDo View Post
2-D picture of a 3-D isometric cube, implying a 4-D structure.

I just...

Did you just google "4D structure" and post the first fucking thing you see?

It's fucking theoretical. Nothing is proven. You can't prove what you can't see. What you have linked is a bunch of pixels on my screen, not the fourth-dimension.

Just shut this thread down now if people won't actually put effort into the subject.
Okay, let me just explain this so you understand it.

Dimensions exist in this manner:

The first dimension, X. -5. 20. 27. 1990. One dimensional space can be described by a single number, as there is no second axis.

The second dimension, Y. (-5,20). (27,1990). A point located on the the intersection of -5 and 20 as well as a point located on the intersection of 27 and 1990. Draw a line between them if you feel like it.

The third dimension, Z. (-5,20,27). A point located on the intersection of -5 and 20, 27 deep. Look up cartesian geometry.

The fourth dimension, T. (-5,20,27,1990). A point located on the intersection of -5 and 20, 27 deep, located within 1990.

To explain it better, consider this:
In a universe that has started at this very moment, a bouncy rubber ball drops down an outwardly-curved tube starting at (-5,20,25,0). Let's stop at (-10,0,25,5). That is the location of the ball on the T=5. The progression of the ball's drop would have looked something like:
(-5,20,25,0)
(-6,16,25,1)
(-7,12,25,2)
(-8,8,25,3)
(-9,4,25,4)
(-10,0,25,5)

Make sense? Asking "what's there" is not a correct question. It is a coordinate plane.
Last edited by Hyde; Nov 4, 2015 at 04:42 PM.
Hoss.
I think the video at the end of this post does a pretty good job of explaining higher dimensional things.

Fair warning it does become extremely conceptual at some points and you really do need to focus to understand what exactly they are trying to explain to you. However no mathematical formulas are used so that makes it pretty easy to understand.

Essentially 4D is a time dependent shape, like this spinning hyper cube:

This is the same thing as looking at your 2d computer screen and visualizing 3d but for one more dimension, it doesnt exactly work though for the same reason that "expanding" a square to a box is hard to visualize. Do that expansion again and youre in 4d with the tessaract thing I put here for you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract

The wikipidea pages for these things are better than me at explaining,
Another interesting one is a klein bottle, look that one up yourself

5+ gets too complicated to explain with pictures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Gotl9vRGs

god has nothing to do with this, its just math lol. We cannot really understand the higher dimensions physically though, we're three dimensional beings. Just like a 2d being wouldn't comprehend a 3d being, they would just see a bunch of cross sections, we too only see cross sections for the dimension above us, and so on
Last edited by sirkill1; Nov 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM.
🫷🦚🫸
I like the idea of modeling things in higher dimensions. Particularly when you consider lower dimensional objects as intersections of higher dimensional ones.

Like if you consider a point in moving along a line. Well you could just model that point as the intersection of two lines (say one horizontal one and one slanted one). If you want a circle that grows and then shrinks in diameter you can intersect a sphere with a plane. Lastly tracing your finger around a circle can be modeled as the intersection of a spiral or spring with a plane.

But then you can go into higher dimensions, like how would it look like if a 4D object intersected with a 3D plane (or hyperplane as some call it)? In one way it could be very analogous to previous examples where you just have a 3D object moving in 3D space with respect to time. In another way it could be analogous to the sphere intersecting with a plane in 2D. That is if a 4D sphere intersected with a 3D plane it could look like a sphere suddenly and slowly appearing, growing, and then shrinking in 3D space.

Another interesting thought is that it is hard to tell what exactly is the same object based of intersections in lower dimensions. Consider the 2d character 'C' as it moves to the right and intersects with a vertical line |. As C approaches |, we get a slice that looks like two dots or a colon :. In 2d, we know that these two dots are the same object. But in 1d, there is no way to tell these two dots are the same object since they appear to be two distinct and unrelated... well dots. Similarly think about the shape you get in 2d from taking a slice across the diameter of a 3d doughnut. You get two circles, however in 2d there is no way to tell if these two circles are from the same object. Two circles could mean two spheres for all you know in 2d.

Going again to 4d, a thought is that every electron could be a single 4d object intersecting with our 3d plane (Just a thought I mention because I think it is interesting, not necessarily correct or accurate by any means). However whenever we have 4d objects that model the 3d world then perhaps we similarly can model the 4d world with 5d objects (This can could possibly continue on and on and then it's turtles all the way down).

Could throw in more, but not much more, and I think I've said enough for now. I've seen people relate these concepts to religion - but that's something I'll share when asked to.
Last edited by GoodBox; Nov 4, 2015 at 01:54 PM.
(>^_^)>
Originally Posted by KiriBank View Post
What do you think is there? How would it be possible for us to reach it?

Q#1: God.(Let the hate roll in)

Q#2: Jury is still out on that one

Ill make this thread better if it gains some popularity, ill also add the ideas i see below and more questions c:

Q#1: Your mom is so fat, her girth breaks dimensional barriers. A small portion of her body encompasses the whole 4th dimension.

But seriously, we live in 4 dimensional space, with 3 spatial dimensions and the 4th being time itself. There are mathematical models for n spatial dimensions (the simplest being the vectorial representation Hyde mentioned), and it's quite easy to model spacetime by rendering a 3D coordinate system to every point in time.

There's nothing mystical or discussion worthy to be had on this topic with this userbase, you won't learn anything you can't google in 5 minutes yourself. If you want some literature on this (but mostly on related subjects), read A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

Since the topic is about the 4th dimension, I feel comfortable dropping this link here:
http://io9.com/5667872/does-entropy-...s-it-make-time
It's a thought I had for a long time, and it seems others have the same idea too.
Last edited by ynvaser; Nov 4, 2015 at 02:59 PM.
Originally Posted by ynvaser View Post

There's nothing mystical or discussion worthy to be had on this topic with this userbase

This.
When discussion is as specialized as this (Not to mention advanced), its really hard for commonpeople like us here, to have a meaningful discussion that isnt just linking smarter peoples opinions from google.
Originally Posted by Kyure View Post
I just...

Did you just google "4D structure" and post the first fucking thing you see?

It's fucking theoretical. Nothing is proven. You can't prove what you can't see. What you have linked is a bunch of pixels on my screen, not the fourth-dimension.

Just shut this thread down now if people won't actually put effort into the subject.

come at me.

"4-D", the fourth dimension, is a collection of mathematical constraints which are derived from lower dimensions; the third dimension is constructed from second dimension structures: The fourth dimension is constructed from three dimensional structures.

The image i supplied is original artwork of my doing, transposed onto a fossilized taijitu image found on google.
The image is a mathematical construct philosophically following the dimensional construction paradigm as i have defined in this very post.

Not that i expect you to comprehend the circular/spiral structure of our universe or see how it is reflected in the image's structure - being made up of small overlapping circles.

As far as the efford gone into this thread, i see a 4-D tessaract, so that says that the right effort is here. maybe your efforts could be less competitive and more cooperative.

and for the record, the tiny image i uploaded is my umpteenth attempt to draw this idea.
I've tried before.
The idea is that the center pixel is 1-D
the resulting 11x11 "dot" is the "zoomed in" perspective of the 1-D dot, but accounts for 2-D.
The idea is that the 11x11 "dot" is the sum of the whole picture, and each reiteration of the dot is a higher dimension.

This image theorethically represents 4-D

Originally Posted by sirkill1 View Post
god has nothing to do with this, its just math lol. We cannot really understand the higher dimensions physically though, we're three dimensional beings. Just like a 2d being wouldn't comprehend a 3d being, they would just see a bunch of cross sections, we too only see cross sections for the dimension above us, and so on

"God" Is an infinite topic. non sequitur. Math, also. BUT.
We can at least understand math. some. well some of us ca.
err anyways, that last bit:

We can see cross sections of higher dimensions all around us, but not always with our eyes. our magnetic field, for example, operates beyond 3-D.
Last edited by SuicideDo; Nov 4, 2015 at 04:41 PM.
SuicideDo, the Brewtal Drunken Immortal.