Toribash
Originally Posted by HiPower View Post
do you personally feel that sentences ended with a period are less genuine, both in the context of text messages and on forums?

The article is about text messaging, not forum posting. The difference between the two is in the level of formality. When you're messaging your friend, you recognise that it's not a formal situation, so you're free to type casually. Conversely, when you're posting in the forums (especially Discussion (but not so much with clan boards)), you're engaging in a much less casual and much more formal context.

Obviously, this is a video-game forum with a lot of kids so there are people who type and spell like shit, even in this formal context. That doesn't disprove this theory though.

IRC links well with this topic. Nobody in IRC uses proper grammar. If you took people that type correctly on the forums and looked at how they typed in IRC, you'd see a big difference. People in IRC are closer and so they act less formally. The reason that we might perceive people who type properly in IRC and in texts as insincere or less friendly is because of that disconnect between the level of closeness and the level of formality. You're expected to not act so 'robotic' in such a casual environment. Makes sense to me.
The one thing about the study that honestly bothers me is the messages they kept using a as a reference for texting. Of course you're going to seen like an emotionless robot putting period after a one or two word response. On the other had if you write out and actual sentence and add a period its a whole different story. I personally think that this study was flawed by the researchers going into it with a biased outlook from the get go. It would have also been nice if they actually took their subject sample from more than one place and age group. I like how they pointed out that people didn't react negatively to it when it was a note with a period, of course because once again it isn't a damn two words response.

Also why didn't they post examples of their "hand written notes" like they did with the text? Trying to hide their bias once again maybe?
AnimePlanetMyAnimeListDiscord: Kohta#1577 • NikosTunaPouffyAubreyGuessTenRythm
• No longer "active" on Toribash. Leave a PM if you need something, I'll eventually see it. •
• Crippled/Disabled girls are the best girls a guy could have. •
Well the article is clickbait, the study is unscientific, and the interpretation is reversed.

So really what are we discussing? No I don't think you can judge the sincerity of a message by how bad it's punctuation is.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by Skizzify View Post
So...if I'm getting this right...people who use proper punctuation as taught in schools are robots? Emotionless robots?

Proper punctuation is something that most people use to make them seem formal. Elegance is the part of the standards that we humans have for people who want to have jobs or something like that. I mean, proper punctuation says a lot about someone. It doesn't necessarily mean "oh this guy is some robot to be able to take the time to put periods in the ends of their sentences". It means that they want to look professional and formal to their peers because they care about their self image.

I don't know if you are truly serious about this topic. It seems that someone got lazy issues and are not willing to use proper punctuation in their sentences. My reading teacher would be dissapointed. For shame......

It was already stated beforehand that the topic that he speaks of, and the actual article are not parallel.

No, you aren't emotionless for using periods and shit.

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."