Toribash
Original Post
Have you ever felt as though you have had to do something?
Well uh, I'm kinda bad at explaining things so I will give you an example.

Growing up as an African American male in my neighborhood music was of 2 genres. Rap music or RnB, any type of jazz was considered old people music. And if you listened to anything other then rap as a male you were considered gay or an Oreo (I'm sure you can deduce the meaning). Growing up I listened to only one particular type of music even though I didn't really choose it. It was pushed towards me and I accepted it without any type of refusal, not to say I don't like it now but back then I was an impressionable kid. Much like all of us. I'm now trying to get back into different types of music but to no avail.

so yeah. this happen to any of you before? Not from a musical standpoint but in everyday life.
Have a great day, thanks for looking at this post I guess.
cnc is an endangered resource
Yup, mainly to do with education and life choices. There's pretty heavy societal pressure to get a degree and then work for the next 20-30 years (although with so many babyboomers retiring it's more like 40-50 years...).

I just want to live a quiet peaceful life with minimal effort, but that would be very much frowned upon.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Same thing with me, if I intend not to go to college then I'm automatically going to be forced into the merchant seamen career.
Well, I get good grades in school yet I do a lot of gaming and listen to some hardcore dubstep and trap. In your case it seems you didn't have a choice. That hasn't happened to me though even though people dislike the music I listen to I ignore them and blast it in their ears!
blue
pink
In the US it seems very easy to be pressured into doing something and having to stay with the crowd to stay liked and popular. Elsewhere, such as britain, it's more relaxed and you can do what you like most of the time.
[19:59] <Lazors> man it's a good thing people don't see what i write here
Originally Posted by Skylarrr View Post
In the US it seems very easy to be pressured into doing something and having to stay with the crowd to stay liked and popular. Elsewhere, such as britain, it's more relaxed and you can do what you like most of the time.

Yeah, I live in Britain and you aren't really 'pressured' into anything per say. There are many types of groups in the school, not just the popular kids then the un-popular kids. Everybody holds some sort of status in my school, whether its being nice, being funny, having good looks, knowing your fashion, how much make up you wear. There is a big list but in the end, everybody loves each other. Even if you don't love the next guy/girl, your friend might. It's very...accepting.
blue
pink
Everyone is born into a particular worldview. There is no avoiding that. It is good to be impressionable. All it takes to change is a new "impression". Music or opinions can all change. The key is realizing that there is more then one way.

I think its good to make as many options for yourself as possible. Genres vary from musician to musician, just take small steps to change. "every journey begins with one step"

I definitely felt pressure to go to school. Its not absolutely needed, but every one makes it seem like its a mistake not to.
aint nothing to it but to do it
well i'm not a pussy who lets other people control my life so no i have never had that feeling, sorry op
im here to ruin your fun
most of the time its not voluntary. At least in my experience, more so like the need to fit in.
Originally Posted by Skylarrr View Post

Australia here, we have mandatory uniforms and generally quite strict rules so it seems like things do not develop into 'cliques' the way it does in the US.

Through school I was friends with everyone and never felt much pressure to do X or Y to fit in. There was not a popular crowd or anyone that was ostracized, so I find it very interesting when I hear about such extreme situations in other countries.

Even between groups that would fight, they were always friendly. I can't say whether or not the fights were in good nature (a lot of people were like me and just fought because there was a fight), but everyone was good natured after the fights lol.

Originally Posted by keggy View Post
well i'm not a pussy who lets other people control my life so no i have never had that feeling, sorry op

If you don't feel societal pressure then you probably have a mental disability, do you feel empathy in general?
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff