Ranking
Original Post
This is America
Trigger Warning: If you're offended by fictional gun violence, I'd recommend clicking away.

Donald Glover, a.k.a. Childish Gambino's most recent song is packed full of metaphors on issues in America.

No one can seem to agree on just what the symbolism means, however, which brings me to the topic of discussion:

What issues in America do you think Donald Glover is trying to portray with this video?

I would recommend watching the video twice. The first time around, stay focused on Donald, and the second, pay attention to the background.
Last edited by Jaxon; May 14, 2018 at 04:06 AM.
I'm just gamin' man
Gun violence mostly, it's pretty much mentioned by guns slinging around or killing people all while hinting over mass shootings. The song itself was eh but I thought it was mainly for the video. Showing that the bodies were dragged like they were worth nothing and the guns themselves were carried off with much care every single time.
Originally Posted by Virus View Post
Gun violence mostly, it's pretty much mentioned by guns slinging around or killing people all while hinting over mass shootings. The song itself was eh but I thought it was mainly for the video. Showing that the bodies were dragged like they were worth nothing and the guns themselves were carried off with much care every single time.

Didn't want to clog up the main post with different point of views and what not, so I'll give them here.

A lot of people seem to think about racism due to the pose at 00:52 resembling the jim crow pose, as well as the killing at 1:55 possibly being a reference to the Charleston Church Massacre. I can understand where this is coming from, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

Personally, I think he's trying to show that we generally ignore all of these problems by having the camera focused on him while chaos goes on in the background. When a mass shooting happens we're horrified for a short time and then we go right back to how things were before. We've been desensitized.

I do agree with it having a lot to do with gun violence. The man who's shot at around 00:50 is simply dragged away and the pistol is carefully placed on a cushion, showing that guns are more valued with people.
I'm just gamin' man
Hi, going to do this thread a little justice because I'm a big fan of it, and bump it. I'm going to move this to Music Chat because I do feel like it is more appropriate there. I 100% understand why anyone would post it here in discussion and you're not entirely wrong for doing so, so don't think that you've messed up.

Main reason for doing this move is because of the nature of the thread. You are looking into the song to pull themes and your opinions on what the song is portraying You're not dissecting to have a discussion on the said themes and portrayed things that are the song. You see the difference?

While, if people respond accordingly, I do think this thread will turn out into having discussions, I don't think it belongs there in that board.

As for my views of song and video, It shows a very good job of what's happening in the world today. Gun violence in the black community is the primary theme I see here. Feel free to take out black community. The underlying thing behind the gun violence theme is the change in action swiftly. After an act of violence has occurred, everyone in the main foreground is appearing to be happy and dancing about. There's many things you can probably take this as, but the way I see it, it's is the lack of attention and ignorance we as Americans have to gun violence. Or is it perhaps we're just getting accustomed to this nature of violence and we don't bat an eye? Regardless, it's a powerful message by showing it song.

بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم

Originally Posted by ed View Post
Hi, going to do this thread a little justice because I'm a big fan of it, and bump it. I'm going to move this to Music Chat because I do feel like it is more appropriate there. I 100% understand why anyone would post it here in discussion and you're not entirely wrong for doing so, so don't think that you've messed up.

Main reason for doing this move is because of the nature of the thread. You are looking into the song to pull themes and your opinions on what the song is portraying You're not dissecting to have a discussion on the said themes and portrayed things that are the song. You see the difference?

I completely understand why it would be more fitting here. I didn't really think it belonged in discussion anyways. The only reason I posted it there instead of here is because of this rule;

Originally Posted by Fivah View Post
1. Don't post a thread about one song, this thread can be used for this.

Perhaps that should be removed or changed to incorporate discussion threads.

I'm glad you found the song interesting as well. You and I seem to have close to the same views. We as Americans are becoming desensitized to issues like this.
I'm just gamin' man