Ranking
Original Post
"stealing moves": A discussion.
Im sure we have all seen it typed, either in-game or on the forums. Personally I have been accused it before and I know it feels non too pleasant to be on the receiving end. Go lightly with you accusations of uncreativity and a lacking in dignity and integrity.

So how about it Toribash? Whats you opinion on "stealing moves"

Personally I don't buy it. You want to have a "sig move" awesome. But honestly I feel that since Toribash is so full of possibility's, because of the game engine and design, there is no real "inventing" going on here. Maybe you discover something, but who are you to say that someone else hasn't ever discovered that very same thing. Furthermore who are you accuse someone of something you yourself may have very well done?

However I also view TB like chess. Chess is a game that is full of openers and strategy's named for the people who "invented" them.

What do you think?
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
Hmmm, sometimes it gets goddamn infuriating when you opener is countered perfectly by some noobish move. However continual use of wiki moves annoy me greatly, copy catting isnt terrible but i like to face original moves as a challenge, some of my openers are copied but then greatly variated form what the enemy expects, tis very useful.
It sucks-.- You were making ur great opener, and some noob will steal it in next 5 minutes. Ppl should make moves, not copy that.
If anyone "invented" a move, who cares? It's all about how you use it. As for "stealing" openers...Well....Most of my wushu openers were all stolen and then I changed them around. So no, I dont think "stealing moves" slides.
[10:17][10:50] <diskimage> Where can I find the Toribash license?
wushu move stealer are lame but you stop minding them after some time.

once a move become too popular you learn how to defeat it. for example when someone uses a jepoy sweep, i know sweep beat that.
[12:04] <@Jarmund> the only thing that could make it even clearer that he didn't have a woman, would be if he played WoW
[21:20] <blkk> what does fap mean?
I find the whole notion of copyrighting a move laughable.

According to the License agreement you agree to when you install Toribash, everything you produce when using Toribash is copyrighted to Nabi.

6. Copyright. The Software and all copyrights related thereto
(including all characters and other images generated by the Software or depicted
in the Software) is owned by Nabi and is protected by Danish
copyright laws and international treaty provisions.
You must treat the Software
like any other copyrighted material, except that you may either (a) make one
copy of the Software solely for back-up or archival purposes, or (b) transfer
the Software to a single hard disk provided you keep the original solely for
back-up or archival purposes. You may not otherwise reproduce, copy or disclose
to others, in whole or in any part, the Software. You may not copy the written
materials accompanying the Software. You agree to use your best efforts to see
that any user of the Software licensed hereunder complies with this Agreement.

As far as I can tell that goes for anything you create ingame, such as a move, or any mod, or replay you would make. So technically, if Hampa wanted he could say that all the moves you make are his. Of course I find it very doubtful that he would to that.
Last edited by Chronos; Oct 3, 2008 at 09:27 AM.
Im way too not involved in winning to do that, i just do some relax stuff.

Although i dont really mind it, seems like a good way to learn the game ;p

[T]
#hi

I've got too many openers really, I even posted a couple on my clan's tutorial thread.

I do think that if someone's gonna copy a move they should at least try and adjust it to suit their own style though, thus making a new move all together.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you