Ranking
Newbies "copy" other openers because they don't know how to make good ones, and them having a good opener lets them develop their skill (unless the mode is judo when the opener basically wins the battle).

There isn't anything wrong about "copying" a move, and sometimes people will think a guy copied a move because they think they invented it, but someone else found out how to do it too.

Bottom line is that there aren't an infinity of good openers, so people sometimes copy off players who are better then them to get better.

And chrawnus is right, all openers belong to Nabi. :P
Whenever I end up using a move, it's probably going to be some simple opener curved to my style :s I.E, in Jousting I developed a special kick derived from PID's Focker (Which can actually beat the original) and I hear a lot of people going "LOL STEALER." It's really annoying; if you come up with a move yourself or one of your friends does and you modify it, what's wrong with that? I'm not about to make a lot of openers from scratch.

Furthermore, if you've seen certain online matches, you will have picked up strategies, maybe a way to add power or reduce damage taken to you. You're going to adapt your opener, maybe even on a subconscious level, to fit those strategies.

And Chozo is right; it is possible to make an opener by yourself someone has already invented, especially if it's a simpler one.
How to complain in style: GG, Mahulk.
I figure basically, though I find that it is ok if two or more people end up using the same openers and moves, and though I also agree that many new people find value in using other moves as a test, I do also believe that Toribash is a game about of creativity before it is about winning.
If a person just goes and steals a working opener just to win, then he is totally just skipping over a lot of the fun of experimentation and just basic messing around ingame
5:13 PM - vasp: everybody's nuts is so good
[00:18:38] <&vespesi3n> you should see when i swallow
[21:49:37] <&vespesi3n> >my mouth when
[21:49:43] <&vespesi3n> >my tastebuds when
I say just suck it up. They can say all the crap they want to spew about you copying "their" moves, but you and every sensible person would know that would do absolutely nothing. Just keep playing and be a good sport about it. Hopefully your sportsmanship would rub off these guys... eventually.
I am flattered when someone uses a Wushu kick I made, I take it as a compliment.

You can't just go around claiming moves for yourself.
KiTFoX... don't get me wrong or anything... but you just contradicted the heck out of yourself.
Originally Posted by Chozo View Post
Newbies "copy" other openers because they don't know how to make good ones, and them having a good opener lets them develop their skill (unless the mode is judo when the opener basically wins the battle).

There isn't anything wrong about "copying" a move, and sometimes people will think a guy copied a move because they think they invented it, but someone else found out how to do it too.

Bottom line is that there aren't an infinity of good openers, so people sometimes copy off players who are better then them to get better.

I concur.

In my opinion, if a mode is any good, there should always be a viable counteropener to every opener. Again, depending on the mode, that may not necessarily make the counteropener a "good" move, as it may be useless against any opener except the one it was designed against.

Modes such as Judo, Taek Kyon, and Jousting, and to a lesser extent, modes such as Classic and Wushu, are flawed in the sense that the outcome of the match is determined by a near-rock-paper-scissors scenario: players have moves that are designed to counter other moves, and they also have moves that they consider their "best" - those that appear to have the best chance of beating an opponent regardless of what move the opponent uses. As the success of one player's move is majorly determined by the nature of the move the opponent uses, people become more inclined to use their "best" moves so that they'll have a better chance of winning regardless of what their opponent does. As these openers are used more and more, the concept of them being the "best" openers spreads, and more people copy them as they're the "best" moves around.

I'd argue that someone cannot be condemned for "stealing" a move, but also that the very fact that moves are being "stolen" is an indication of the fact that the mode they're being used in is heavily flawed (and might do with a rethink for maximum playability).
"Call yourself alive? I promise you you'll be deafened by dust falling on the furniture,
you'll feel your eyebrows turning to two gashes, and your shoulder blades will ache for want of wings."
Lets do some math shall we?

The body in toribash has 20 different joints that can have 4 different states. (relaxed, hold, contract/right rotating, extend/left rotating)

That means that in every mode there can be "only" 20^4 different openers if you only count the first turn. That's 160 000 different openers. If a second turn is needed the amount would be 160 000 * 160 000 = 256 000 000 00 different openers. Doesn't have anything to do with this discussion at all. I just thought it would be funny to count all the possible openers there is to any mode. So there is atleast 160 000- 256 000 000 00 different openers. Now what does this have to do with anything of this? Well, in fact it doesn't have anything to do with this discussion other than the fact that the game already holds all these openers, regardless of wether it calculates the opener based on your input or wether the information already is incorporated into the game. So that means that no one here has ever invented a move in toribash, because it already existed from the very beginning. You can be the first ever person to do it, but you can't claim you made the move. Hampa both made the move and has the copyright claim to it. So if you accuse someone of "stealing" "your move" remember that you're in fact using Hampa's move and not your own.
only the scripts are saved from copyrights
and all the moves goes to toribash wiki!!!
Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
there is atleast 256 000 000 00 different openers.

Actually there are 256 000 000 00 x 4 different openers. Keep in mind that you also turn grip on/off:

Non-grip | Non-grip
Grip | Non-grip
Non-grip | Grip
Grip | Grip

= 1024 000 000 00 different openers.

Fun fact: I once actually calculated the number of theoretically possible outcomes in a toribash match lasting 120 frames without dq, dismemberment or fracture.