Ranking
Original Post
Teacher Kradel: Spar
Teacher Kradel
Spar

Now, I am not the best sparer in the world but I do enjoy making spar replays with awesome realistic movement. Or at least fluid movement. Here you will learn the basics of spar to help you become a very talented replay maker. For more information, contact me through private messages and maybe we can set something up in game.

Lesson 1 (Basics): For a start, you need to know just what Spar is in Toribash terms. Spar isn't a mod in which you must beat your opponent, it is a mod in which you must work with your opponent to create a fluid, entertaining and cool replay. Patience is key, spars can take up to two hours and maybe even longer depending on how serious you are taking the replay and how many frames are involved. You want to make sure you always know what your opponent is doing because his/her next move could impact you massively. Don't get bored because this will make you want to rush the spar and it will ruin the replay. Listen to music to help you stay on track. Don't spar with somebody who doesn't know how to. You want to make sure you are sparring with somebody who can at least make the replay look nice and fluid, otherwise what's the point. For the best replays make sure you have the right settings including a long reaction time. Reaction time is probably the most crucial part of a spar, you don't want to be rushing your moves because if you are a beginner of spar you will not be able to stabilize, control and move yourself quickly. Remember: co-operation, patience, communication, enjoyment, knowledge of your spar partner, reaction time.

Lesson 2 (Starter): The way I see spar is the outcome of the replay depends on how you wish to start the spar. The start of the spar is the only time you are allowed to anything you want (as long as it's fluid and won't ruin anything) without talking about it to your partner. Though this may not always be the case, for more serious spars, communication is needed all the time. Though don't worry, we are starting with the basics right now. The most basic thing you can do in a spar is the 'newb run' or the 'basic run'. This involves you running to your opponent in a stiff manner. It doesn't look nice, fluid and it is hard to stop once you get going. You can modify the run to suit you best but if you are new just do this for now. I have my own starter, it involves me tricking as I get closer to my opponent, this creates entertainment and an interesting replay even though me and the opponent haven't reached each other yet. The main thing to do is make sure your opener won't ruin your stability because if your opener sends you head first into the ground you look like an idiot and you will have to reset the spar. If you plan on making your own spar opener, make sure to test it in singe player first. Just make sure you know the risks of your opener and what the right choice is you should be good. Remember: fluid, stable, basic (run), modification to basic openers, know the risks, entertaining, interesting, relax (if you can).

Lesson 3 (Combat): The worst thing you can do half-way through a spar is trip, do something unnecessary or mess up your opponent. You must always be in control, smart and understand the risks of moving a certain joint. Use your ghost as far as you can, keep your moves simple, there is no need to move every single joint at once in one frame because you have a lot more coming. The worst thing you can do is make the spar look unrealistic. Don't try to attack your opponent, co-operate to with him/her and decide on the best approach to use. One thing you must always do is maintain your balance, unless you are being hit or delivering the final knock out hit, don't risk selling a hit or giving a hit and losing your balance. Mid-spar you don't need to worry about selling any hits too hard unless you know you can save yourself. Here are some ways to soften your hits. Never, ever in the history of spar and I swear on my name if you do this I will actually kill you. Never, ever, ever, for eternity and forever extend to deliver a punch or a kick (unless you it looks fluid) because not only does it look very stiff, if you hit your opponent too hard you will actually ruin their balance. A good thing to do is relax the main joint of the execution. For example, if you are kicking, relaxing the knee will extend it when you force your leg forward. Same goes for a punch, all the speed and momentum going to swing will cause the elbow to open up. All you have to do is relax that joint at the right time. Remember: don't mess up, always stabilize yourself, nothing stupid, maintain balance, don't sell or deliver hits too hard (unless it's a knock out hit), never extend your elbow or knee to deliver hits.

Lesson 4 (Practice): Just practice, the more you do spar's the better you will be. You will learn how to control yourself and become a very fluid fighter, relaxing your body will help you a lot with this. For more information, look at the videos below or contact me and any other sparer's.

Video Support

blue
pink