Toribash
Original Post
[Study] | General Striking Development
If you don't use them now I guarantee you tried one somewhere in your early belt ranks. I figured this would be a good start for [TA] to explore the mechanics of striking in aikido mods.
Personally i have limited experience with successful sidekicks. Sometimes it will get me a frac or two on my opponent but its rare i get a dismemberment. (but ill show the lucky few replays i have).

So I would like everybody reading this to contribute some sort of information or experience and maybe we can actually get something done as a whole organization.

First lets point out the obvious:
-Kicking hip contracts, base hip extends.
-Whichever leg is kicking, that same side arm will swing back to counter balance.
-Pecs and chest should rotate in the opposite direction that the kicking leg is moving. (Kick to the right, Rotate Left).
-Kick through your opponent!! You don't want your leg to be fully extended before it hits its target. Kick as if you want to slice all the way through to the other side. You see here my leg is still very bent upon impact.

The Thai Kick: In the world of real Mixed Martial Arts the general opinion is that the muay thai discipline has the most powerful side kick from standing position. Let me show you.

Thai Kick

Questions:
-How should the kicking ankle be set? Relaxed would give the most speed but contracted or extended could give a more blunt impact.
-What's our target? I've seen a lot of arm dm's from kicking upwards into the armpit. Also i think under the abs is a weak spot bc it's where the upper and lower body is connected.
-Follow up? If the kick doesn't dismember your opponent. What are good follow up combinations? I found one which is to invert the rotation and throw a hard punch with the original kicking leg as a counter balance. Sort of like a superman punch. (bad example but you get my point)
-Glutes? This is a mystery to me. I feel the base glute should be extending and the kicking hip varies. Or maybe it's always situational for both.

Even if you're not a striker you can contribute something. Like what are good counters.
Attached Files
muay thai - combo.rpl (55.4 KB, 30 views)
muay thai - side kick.rpl (35.7 KB, 23 views)
muay thai - side kick (3).rpl (24.9 KB, 14 views)
muay thai - side kick (2).rpl (35.7 KB, 31 views)
Last edited by footlox; Nov 9, 2015 at 03:16 AM.
Leader of the Spyder House
Toribash Martial Artists
I think we could get the striking people on this. Maybe they can cover it in their tutorial for kicks. I will hit up retro to see if he could add these kicks into the tutorial.

Also who is currently working on the decapitation tutorial?

i am a bird now - Lil B

i've found kicks are safer when used against another kicker when you target the base leg thigh. i target the base leg because it means its easier to replant my leg. follow up options i've found include pulling guard to sweep of your choice or trying to hook under the armpit with your toe to counter a suplex. i personally prefer clinch knees if i'm going to strike. i don't know how to counter strong kicks reliably with out grabbing them that is. against week kicks i just take it to the body and work for a single leg.
Attached Files
akido guard pullrewdsf.rpl (46.8 KB, 13 views)
akido legkickewrsdfcx.rpl (30.2 KB, 7 views)
akido nsdfxc.rpl (27.5 KB, 6 views)
akido no throwrwefsd.rpl (66.4 KB, 8 views)
Striking Tier ideas
I'm back to spouting out ideas here, hoping someone will notice me and throw me a bone. I'm primarily a grappler in aikido but I often use striking techniques to set up throws and to cripple my opponent. With the addition of the striking tier to the knowledge base, I thought I'd share a few of the moves I've come up with. Feel free to give me feed back, I want to know if these moves are actually usable or just hokus pokus.
Replay overview:
HEADBUTTS- obvious
-Head butt 1
-Head butt 3
SPRING KICKS- I've covered these in a previous post but I'll just post a few replays. Feel free to look back to the old post on page 32 of this thread.
-Spring Kick 9
SOME OTHER KICK I DON'T HAVE A NAME FOR- I'm reluctant to call this a side kick, but the movement of these moves are all similar enough to be the same thing to me
-WTF Kick
-Spear Kick
-Kick Throw
ELBOW STRIKES- obvious
-Elbow Strike
Attached Files
Head butt 1.rpl (35.8 KB, 9 views)
Head butt 3.rpl (58.0 KB, 6 views)
Spring Kick 9.rpl (33.0 KB, 11 views)
Wtf Kick.rpl (43.7 KB, 11 views)
Spear Kick.rpl (35.8 KB, 9 views)
Kick Throw.rpl (38.3 KB, 9 views)
Elbow strike.rpl (74.2 KB, 10 views)
Originally Posted by Iskenos View Post
I'm back to spouting out ideas here, hoping someone will notice me and throw me a bone. I'm primarily a grappler in aikido but I often use striking techniques to set up throws and to cripple my opponent. With the addition of the striking tier to the knowledge base, I thought I'd share a few of the moves I've come up with. Feel free to give me feed back, I want to know if these moves are actually usable or just hokus pokus.
Replay overview:
HEADBUTTS- obvious
-Head butt 1
-Head butt 3
SPRING KICKS- I've covered these in a previous post but I'll just post a few replays. Feel free to look back to the old post on page 32 of this thread.
-Spring Kick 9
SOME OTHER KICK I DON'T HAVE A NAME FOR- I'm reluctant to call this a side kick, but the movement of these moves are all similar enough to be the same thing to me
-WTF Kick
-Spear Kick
-Kick Throw
ELBOW STRIKES- obvious
-Elbow Strike

Alrighty im here.

So i shortly addressed headbutts in the striking section of Principles of Aikido saying
"Headbutts seldom offer fracturing or dismembering attacks but more often inflict more damage on your own tori."

I still stand behind that, I think headbutts have more risk that is not worth the reward, ofc there were always be exceptions for example i think your first headbutt replay is beautiful but i dont see it being reliable technique.

Spear Kick and Spring Kick 9 can be labeled as Inside Leg Kicks however i find the the "spring" force off the floor into spring kick 9 to be key part of and should be written down somewhere.

Inside Leg Kick

WTF Kick looks like a front leg side kick. Very clean i want to try this myself.

Elbow strikes are already part of the striking tier as i have had great success with them as short range, surprise attacks.

Kick throw looks like what I'd call a standing kick sweep where a normal kick sweep is a ground sweep when you're based off your hand and you use the kicking force to start the sweeping momentum.
Attached Files
bjj - kick sweep.rpl (44.1 KB, 4 views)
bjj - kick sweep (3).rpl (49.5 KB, 3 views)
Toribash Martial Artists
I would like to back up the Headbutt inclusion request with some replays to convince you Aquita
Attached Files
headbutt decap.rpl (30.1 KB, 2 views)
headbutt.rpl (27.4 KB, 2 views)
that death.rpl (33.1 KB, 2 views)
Cheers my homie
Jerome
limb isolation
right so with the talk of crippling with strikes got me thinking about limb isotation. its something that alot of people develop naturally it seems. we have some examples cross single leg. ways to isolate limbs off the top of my head fracs, joint grabs, pins with body, head and arm choke, grab trick pins.
its more a concept than a new technique. Im surprised we don't have anything on this.

information that popped into my head
a bent knee can't support the weight of two toris with out help.
catching a kick. nice looking replay pending

"you lock a joint into fully extended or contracted state byy taking advantage of the greater force need to initiate action" - challenged
anyone else with re-search in reguards to this please let me know.
will post head and arm isolations later.
Attached Files
akido arm inrsfxcv.rpl (57.6 KB, 10 views)
Last edited by monkeyishi; Dec 31, 2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: more stuff popped into my head
Originally Posted by monkeyishi View Post
right so with the talk of crippling with strikes got me thinking about limb isotation. its something that alot of people develop naturally it seems. we have some examples cross single leg. ways to isolate limbs off the top of my head fracs, joint grabs, pins with body, head and arm choke, grab trick pins.
its more a concept than a new technique. Im surprised we don't have anything on this.

information that popped into my head
a bent knee can't support the weight of two toris with out help.
catching a kick. nice looking replay pending

"you lock a joint into fully extended or contracted state byy taking advantage of the greater force need to initiate action" - challenged
anyone else with re-search in reguards to this please let me know.
will post head and arm isolations later.

This sounds similar to the joint-lock study that we dabbled with a few months back. At the time the focus was to aw fuck here's the definition i made up:

TA's definition of a joint-lock: Grappling technique where you commit two or more of your own limbs to manipulate an opponent's joint in a way that their limb becomes immobilized or even broken.

We finished that study with a few concepts but no hard techniques. I'd be happy to get back at it.
Toribash Martial Artists
Moved here from old NTD. Bump..
Toribash Martial Artists
replay maybe luck. but its a leg kick that resulted in a dm. so it maybe useful here.
Attached Files
aikido comborewfsdfsd.rpl (38.5 KB, 5 views)