Ranking
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
Tell me what to do and I'll try not to be apathetic on doing it.

ok so i have to do a structural analysis of a universtiy building and I thought I was goin crazy because they were putting a column on thin air
in buildings, as per common sense, you can't put a column on the first floor, if there is not a column below it, otherwise you get a huge amount of weight on the middle of a beam, without being able to disperse it to the foundations properly => collapsing building

NOT THIS BUILDING HAHA
thought i was going insane so i decided to go and look at the room that was giving me conniptions, turns out they're using some weird steel space beam to distribute the weight. In order to support the column the floor beam literally has to be like a meter deep.
I'm glad we figured it out but I'm more annoyed that it exists like that because holy hell what a dumb/expensive way to build a building fuck my asshole

Like this because

picture

Last edited by Erth; Dec 6, 2017 at 11:55 PM.
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.
Originally Posted by Erth View Post
ok so i have to do a structural analysis of a universtiy building and I thought I was goin crazy because they were putting a column on thin air
in buildings, as per common sense, you can't put a column on the first floor, if there is not a column below it, otherwise you get a huge amount of weight on the middle of a beam, without being able to disperse it to the foundations properly => collapsing building

NOT THIS BUILDING HAHA
thought i was going insane so i decided to go and look at the room that was giving me conniptions, turns out they're using some weird steel space beam to distribute the weight. In order to support the column the floor beam literally has to be like a meter deep.
I'm glad we figured it out but I'm more annoyed that it exists like that because holy hell what a dumb/expensive way to build a building fuck my asshole

Like this because

picture

Hey Erth... I'm studying structural engineering so I thought I'd give my two cents (I've mostly done reinforced concrete though). I've never seen something like that (assuming that you didn't miss anything when analzying the building)... They are essentially transfering the load through bending action of that floor beam. Doesn't sound very optimal because as you pointed out, that beam will have to be super deep to provide enough flexural resistance to carry that load. Also those poor bolts! They did try to optimize it though by cutting out the web. Maybe they had other constraints on the project which forced them to put that column there? Hard to say with just this image.

Cool stuff by the way
Last edited by Liquidoom; Dec 7, 2017 at 07:29 AM.
Help Squad | Companions | OFRO
Do you require assistance? PM ME!
Originally Posted by Erth View Post

NOT THIS BUILDING HAHA

Like this because

picture

I actually laughed seeing that, that is one weird beam

Originally Posted by Liquidoom View Post
Hey Erth... I'm studying structural engineering so I thought I'd give my two cents (I've mostly done reinforced concrete though). I've never seen something like that (assuming that you didn't miss anything when analzying the building)... They are essentially transfering the load through bending action of that floor beam. Doesn't sound very optimal because as you pointed out, that beam will have to be super deep to provide enough flexural resistance to carry that load. Also those poor bolts! They did try to optimize it though by cutting out the web. Maybe they had other constraints on the project which forced them to put that column there? Hard to say with just this image.

Cool stuff by the way

Looks like liquid gotcha covered, I'll take my vacation time now.
ishi - "I'm Hampa's Bitch Slappin' Hand"
I'm so proud Sparky
Yeah Liquid. It's really fucking dumb. That's just a sketch I threw together in sketchup, no idea what bolts are actually used, or even if something like this is possible, I've never seen it done before either.
But the plans definitely have floating columns so
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.
yeah i agree with orko lets talk about something cool and new and exciting

so how about wushu huh guys isnt that just the greatest

hey i found my wushu thread eat shit whoever said i dont get views

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=410840
Last edited by Holotor; Dec 7, 2017 at 01:41 PM.
Originally Posted by Holotor View Post
yeah i agree with orko lets talk about something cool and new and exciting

so how about wushu huh guys isnt that just the greatest

hey i found my wushu thread eat shit whoever said i dont get views

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=410840

yeah man it looks like you could use some tutoring. I'm available
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[4:37 PM] ponf: y'all might think i'm not wild enough to send dick pics over toribash
[4:37 PM] ponf: you'd be wrong
uwu i wuv you uwu