Toribash Community » Toribash » News

Old May 15, 2017 Original Post  
hampa
In coder land
Toribash Next announcement.
I've started to build a new Toribash version, code name Toribash Next.

While the current engine is super awesome it was written 12 years ago.

Things I want to add to the new engine:
- 2vs2, 3vs1 and brawl games
- Built with animations and models from the start
- Ingame multiplayer modding (mod rooms together)
- Ingame inventory and trading
- Run your own servers

Some technical details for those interested:
- Engine (Unity3D)
- Plattforms (Windows, OSX)
- Backend (Steam and standalone)

Economy:
- Part of the economy will be decentralised (we will have our own BitCoin type currency). This will allow players to trade outside the forum.
- The giveaway Toribash Next Token will eventually transferable to this new section of our economy.

Questions & Answers:

QA

If you have more questions, I'll keep this top post updated.

Last edited by sir; Jan 3, 2018 at 11:55 AM..
hampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2017   #501
Kitty

5th Dan Black Belt

Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
I doubt that there would be significant effect on time, since nothing is forcing you to use all joints/bodyparts on every move. When I play I typically just change 4-5 joints per turn.

maybe you do, but i know that many people move more than that especially in competitive matches. This would also double the difficulty for new players to learn the game and probably cause a ton of DM's from weird torque pressure.
My way or no way, totalatarian.
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2017   #502
Oblivion
Que outro valor mais alto se alevanta

10th Dan Black Belt
Clan: [T]

At least making what Oracle is saying mod-able sounds very very reasonable. (and making the amount of joints mod-able as well while we're at it)
If only, forearm 90º rotation and thigh rotation would be a great addition for broader movements with only 8 more joint states to be added.

"Competitively", it's jumping from 20 to 22 joints. I don't see how that'd change the needed reaction time from 60 seconds or so, to 5 minutes.

As for the weird DM's that could come out of it, we're going to have a whole new engine.
DM's can be finally be newly coded into something more predictable and without the weird little glitches that we currently have.

The increased difficulty for new players is something that actually matters, though.
That in particularly is what I truly hope they focus on for this new "game", with a lot of new approaches that "hold the hand" of people who open the game for the first time.
If a lot of strategies towards that are employed, in my opinion, it isn't the addition of 2 new "joints" that will make the game more unplayable than it already is.

Back when there was a "FRAME" line limit for every replay there was a lot of people that said you didn't need to make replays with more than what already existed.
Same goes for the old limit for objects in a mod.
Working those out increased the complexity of the game by a lot, and allowed multiple MB replays to exist as well as amazing mods that I'm sure would have made a huge difference back when we actually had a bigger userbase.

Right now the only way to make it happen is by using an extremely tedious hack that is just not feasible without writing scripts specifically for it.

I don't completely advocate for the addition of those 2 joints to the default Tori because of the "new-players" issue, but there is a lot of potential behind allowing the number of joints to be mod-able and allow what Oracle described to be possible.

tl;dr: Make the number of joints(/bodyparts) mod-able in order to allow what Oracle described to be possible.
We're still kids in buses longing to be free.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2017   #503
Rouxster
Thrower

10th Dan Black Belt
Clan: Rain

Just allow players to add their own joints
Team MMA Leader
~Do Real Moves~
Rouxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2017   #504
Insanity
Dator Mortis

Golden Belt
Clan: fl0w

Uhm, any new news?

Are u guys testing it or what is this rotation issue.

About what has bean discussed i would like to add that if u break thouse 20 joints x 4 moves each into math it will be a ridiculous number. A few k moves that are possible with adding 2 or more movent possibilitys is not much.
= SELLING MARKET INVENTORY =
Pm me for deals
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2017   #505
+counter
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rainbow Belt
Clan: Nausea

i dont think new joints will be cool

this tori build is nice.
topkek
counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2017   #506
Odlov

God Belt
Clan: Parrot

What default toris are isn't super important as long as modmakers can change them in their own mods. I mean radical changes, like adding joints. Maybe even adding body parts. That would really open up the world of possibilities. We could make tori have 4 arms, like Goro, for a "boss fight" in a hotseat mod. We could turn uke into a giant spider, or a horse, or a dinosaur. More importantly, we'd be able to make models that offer very high degree of control and have super realistic ranges of motion, for those players who like that.
Odlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2017   #507
Kr3s

Dummy Belt
Clan: Flow

Will flames transfer over to the new game?
TORIBASH-ACADEMY
Kr3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2017   #508
Fire
ub3r

Fat guy Belt
Clan: Alpha

Staff are going to be the same for toribash and toribash next?
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2017   #509
$Wounder

10th Dan Black Belt
Clan: win

cant say im a fan of adding even more complexity to an already complex game with a gigantic learning curve that turns off most new players

something the game needs is a more in depth tutorial
<[MAD]hampa> henlo
<[MAD]hampa> hello u stinky wounder
Wounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2017   #510
Tempest

Demon Belt
Clan: Aeon

and more training bots
oh is this where i put my signature?
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote