Ranking
Original Post
What is style?
What gimmicks stand out in certain people?

How does one go about developing style?

What do great replay makers have in common, part from being good.

What joint combinations and transitions make up styles?

Why do so few people stand out in the crowd? The only person I know that has their very own unique style and way to play the game is Binklawz. I am unsure how many of you are active in multiplayer but the MAS thing really caught on and inspired many others to try diffrent stuff. Progress and diversity is obviously healthy for the game (elitist shitheads are not though) so how come we see so little of this?

Over all I think we don't use Toribash as much as we could, the possibilities are limitless after all, WHY DOES EVERYONE DO PRETTY MUCH THE SAME THING WITH SLIGHT VARIATION???? WHY ARE THERE ONLY TWO ACCEPTED GRAVITY SETTINGS???

Discuss.

wall of text

nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
I want to respond to everything seperately ayy lmao

Originally Posted by jisse View Post
What gimmicks stand out in certain people?

Whenever a player consistently puts effort into making things that are consistent in how they look. If you make a replay that flows really nicely no matter what you do, and then make another the is stiff af and is just booms and then go midway and then back and forth, what style is that? Consistency

How does one go about developing style?

Developping how you control your tori until it moves exactly how you want it to all the time. Then you can be creative and make some really crazy shit. Hence why replay makers who are just starting out don't seem to have a style most of the time because their movements don't necessarily look purposeful.

What do great replay makers have in common, part from being good.

Being unique and paying attention to small details. Consistently making things that the majority of players can't or refuse to do because it doesn't fit in with the norm. Like Internet
internet makes whatever the fuck he wants and it's just sexy af ( refer to above point ) and it's always put together in ways that no one else ever does.

What joint combinations and transitions make up styles?

Everything.

Why do so few people stand out in the crowd? The only person I know that has their very own unique style and way to play the game is Binklawz. I am unsure how many of you are active in multiplayer but the MAS thing really caught on and inspired many others to try diffrent stuff. Progress and diversity is obviously healthy for the game (elitist shitheads are not though) so how come we see so little of this?

Because of conversation. Players share the craziest replays because generally all the ormofags hype that shit up because it's amazing and then everyone wants to imitate that. Players like large, swexx, pusga (sory) and even you jizze when your style was different all helped that happen. We all spoke about how amazing the latest replay that swexx or large posted was crazy and then obviously the newer players who maybe didn't appreciate replays at the time took on our opinions because we are supposed to be the best of the best and obviously what we say has impact; or had impact idk. It's like we unknowningly forced our opinions on 'lesser' beings and then they took that and used it and then imitated what they saw.
I accept full responsability for ruining it for everyone else, but I guess we didn't know better when we were hyping it up.

fast forward is still the best

Over all I think we don't use Toribash as much as we could, the possibilities are limitless after all, WHY DOES EVERYONE DO PRETTY MUCH THE SAME THING WITH SLIGHT VARIATION? WHY ARE THERE ONLY TWO ACCEPTED GRAVITY SETTINGS

I GO BACK AND FORTH ACROSS THE TWO GRAVITIES AND SOMETIMES I USE OTHER ONES BUT THEN AT THE END I CHANGE IT TO ONE OF THE OTHER TWO ACCEPTABLE ONES SO PEOPLE DONT THINK IM WEIRD

I just rambled on lel

also

intricate details

ayy lmao
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
|Replay|ORMO|
What really only stands out to me in fluidity, control, and sensible actions. Dismemberments aren't really my cup of tea, unless it contributes to the overall look of the replay.

Then again, if you make a totally wacky replay, I'm all for it, as long as it's smooth.
Also known as CombatBot
A quote I read one time goes something like: "Every artists starts by imitating their idols. How they mess up becomes their style."

I think there's a lot of truth in that for the replaymaking scene. I was just having a discussion with some dudes in #ormo about styles and instead of pointing out characteristics of the style, we mostly defined them by comparing replaymakers to others that seemed to either inspire them or play similarly to them. For example, there's the hyperbalanced classic style of Largekilla/Swexx, which spawned countless imitators in the way that Oracle was talking about. Of course, many of these imitators brought their own spin to the style, creating something of their own. However, you can often still clearly see the roots of whoever they were most inspired by.

For example, there were multiple periods in my career where there were different replaymakers I aspired to emulate. At any given point, I could be trying to recreate the styles of Oracle, War_Hero, Tamer0, or Mosier. At some point I got far enough from these influences that when I asked #ormo who I could be compared to, they didn't identify any of those guys. I messed up my imitations enough that my own style was born.

Styles can be identified by gimmicks sometimes, but I find that even if someone doesn't do their more obvious gimmicks (i.e. me with my extended abs ballerina spins) you can still somehow place the style anyway. I think style is more defined by an overall approach than any sort of "gimmick". I'll return to my "hyperbalance" definition of the largekilla school of replaymaking as an example of that. Largekilla basically never falls over, or even really use his hands on the ground without a very definitive purpose to it (I'm going off of memory here, so I'm sorry if I'm not identifying these quirks correctly). This is more than a gimmick, its a core aspect of his gameplay. That's what defines style.

Standing out from the crowd is just a matter of bringing enough of yourself to the replay rather than simple emulation of others. I like to think I've gotten to the point that my personality shines through in the sort of free-improv method I've developed in my replaymaking process. Some others find that to let their style show they need to perfect all of their movements, spending a lot of time making sure their replays are exactly what they picture in their brain. Neither way is wrong, and that's what's so beautiful about replaymaking.

In your gravity argument, I'd say that its just a matter of having a base that you're familiar with. It's like complaining that all rock music is based around only the same few instruments with little variation, or that all visual art is made with only a few materials (either paint, oil, etc.) It's just a platform, and if you're not familiar enough with the platform it can make the thing you build on top of it shaky.

Nice thread jisse ;o
[12:00] <fudgiebalz> toribash SUCKS
Check my ~~~Dank Replays~~~