Ranking
Originally Posted by pusga View Post
most education is incredibly biased. almost every subject of study is taught with a predetermined moral or political position, leaving no space for the students' interpretation. this results in teachers emphasizing on how governments are "evil" and on how we should all fight them, using a few examples of when it worked in the past.

i think i should give my location to provide more information behind my stance
australia

i don't think it's from the education system, parents are probably one of the biggest influences in children. if the parents disagree with the two-party government system or dislike both candidates, senates, houses, etc, the parents will tell their views to their kids and those kids will adopt those likes/dislikes. my parents for example, disliked julia gillard and almost fed me information to the point of propaganda, even though i know this i still have the same opinion as them (for the most part).

i'm in highschool right now (year 11, graduate next year) and i do economics, which is probably the most political subject you can do (at least at my school) and i've had no biased information taught to me whatsoever. if anything, it teaches you about all the factors of government's decisions and helps you develop your own opinion.

of course this is all through my experience, i cant speak for some american across the globe.
Here in Brazil you must enlist when u turn 18, but it is really difficult to be called, you can allege that you are inapt using any kind of chronic disses but any way, if you get drafted you just need to stay a year.

But as hawkes said, it is just to the government know how many soldiers they would have in case of war, but like.. Brazil is a "pacific" country, at least at global wars.

And at all e don't think its bad, you can learn a lot of thinks in the army, and it is just obligatory on the paper, like.. if u don't want to go, its really easy to don't go :v.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I find it fine for them to make you enlist.The only thing i have a problem with is you must pay a fee to sign up.You have to pay money to fight a war you may/or may not even want to be in.
Originally Posted by Pidgenere View Post
I find it fine for them to make you enlist.The only thing i have a problem with is you must pay a fee to sign up.You have to pay money to fight a war you may/or may not even want to be in.

YOU HAVE TO PAY TO JOIN THE ARMY?
Originally Posted by Organs View Post
YOU HAVE TO PAY TO JOIN THE ARMY?

No,but when signing up for the draft you do have to pay.
Canadian here!

Personally (as far as Canada is concerned), I don't think we need a mandatory enlistment. We have enough of our own troupes to go around regardless, and we're generally considered a pacifistic nation, that doesn't get involved with many wars. This is largely due to the United States being right underneath us (with all their firepower and all XD). If a major conflict came along, I can see how it may be necessary. For the most part though, I don't think that people should be forced to do something that they don't want to do. I understand the benefits of how this would affect maturity and responsibility, but I think that the education system does a well enough job on its own. Maybe not for some students, but for those who actually care about their education, basic schooling is enough to make students "smarten up".

Basically, I agree completely with pirate.

Originally Posted by pusga View Post
most education is incredibly biased. almost every subject of study is taught with a predetermined moral or political position, leaving no space for the students' interpretation. this results in teachers emphasizing on how governments are "evil" and on how we should all fight them, using a few examples of when it worked in the past.

See, this may be the case for some people, but at my school, this isn't an issue. Heck, I go to a catholic school (I'm not catholic), but they still teach us about evolution, other major and important religions, the pros and cons of each political party (without expressing favouritism for either), our history lessons look at Canada's good achievements and our bad ones, and we seldom talk about the government with a strong positive or negative opinion. The closest thing to that is that my english teacher has a pretty big preference for girls... but since I'm a strong student and she likes me, I'm tied for the highest mark in the class (along with my female friend, [who will probably end up with 1% higher than me for an unexplained reason lol]).
Co-leader of Nitro | Replays