Ranking
Originally Posted by protonitron View Post
Dog get special treatment. It doesn't mean they are privileged or equal in society. Feminism is about making men realise that they don't always have to be strong or thick skinned just because they are men, and that women don't have to be skinny and obedient to do well in life.

Well, as a male. I don't want to be muscular just because I am a male. I want to be muscular to look after my health as well as present a good image. I don't know what a women would think on this 'not having to be skinny and obedient to to do well in life'. Though 'not being obedient and doing well in life' is kind of an oxymoron don't you think? Being obedient can help you succeed (e.g. school, listening and obeying orders given from teachers or at home, listening to your parents or other adults). Now, women don't have to be skinny, they are right but saying that doesn't stop them from trying.
blue
pink
Originally Posted by Kradel View Post
Though 'not being obedient and doing well in life' is kind of an oxymoron don't you think? Being obedient can help you succeed (e.g. school, listening and obeying orders given from teachers or at home, listening to your parents or other adults).

When he said obedient I believe he was alluding to the traditional, more sexist mindset that women are a complement to the man and the fact their gender role served very little purpose beyond that.
collect snots from the nose
They are right but saying that doesn't stop them from trying.

So you admit that as a society out viewpoint or subliminal attitude to such things is incorrect (girls can hate themselves for not being skinny enough for reasons other than pathogenic social anxiety) but do not think feminists should try to change that because you think it is impossible for us to change as a society? I am not sure you should be so pessimistic of how much culture can change over time, less than a century ago homosexuality was illegal and racial segregation was in place. Is it such a stretch to imagine that in the future all girls could be happy with a healthy weight?

And when I said that men should not have to be "strong" I meant both physically fit and emotionally steadfast and courageous (not backing down from a fight even if you feel intimidated). Although regulate exercise is healthy, a new condition has been being noticed in adolescent men recently. It is a form of anorexia where although a man might eat a normal amount, he will then go to the gym to build muscles leading to a reduction of body fat. A low body fat ratio is good but sometimes people do not realise that muscle is heavier than fat, this means a man could be in a condition equivalent to being severely underweight while eating the normal amount and weighing enough. They just assume that they are supposed to have ridiculous shoulder to waist ratios.

I hope I haven't bored you, I just want to prove that feminists aren't all that bad.

I struggle to understand the feminist sterility or of man hating nazi women since the only real feminist I know is guy who likes ("like-likes") other guys who supports communism.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by Gynx View Post
When he said obedient I believe he was alluding to the traditional, more sexist mindset that women are a complement to the man and the fact their gender role served very little purpose beyond that.

Remember that this reality exists only when looking at the past through a modern lense. At the time no such mindset existed.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by protonitron View Post
1).So you admit that as a society out viewpoint or subliminal attitude to such things is incorrect (girls can hate themselves for not being skinny enough for reasons other than pathogenic social anxiety) but do not think feminists should try to change that because you think it is impossible for us to change as a society? I am not sure you should be so pessimistic of how much culture can change over time, less than a century ago homosexuality was illegal and racial segregation was in place. Is it such a stretch to imagine that in the future all girls could be happy with a healthy weight?

2).And when I said that men should not have to be "strong" I meant both physically fit and emotionally steadfast and courageous (not backing down from a fight even if you feel intimidated). Although regulate exercise is healthy, a new condition has been being noticed in adolescent men recently. It is a form of anorexia where although a man might eat a normal amount, he will then go to the gym to build muscles leading to a reduction of body fat. A low body fat ratio is good but sometimes people do not realise that muscle is heavier than fat, this means a man could be in a condition equivalent to being severely underweight while eating the normal amount and weighing enough. They just assume that they are supposed to have ridiculous shoulder to waist ratios.

I hope I haven't bored you, I just want to prove that feminists aren't all that bad.

I struggle to understand the feminist sterility or of man hating nazi women since the only real feminist I know is guy who likes ("like-likes") other guys who supports communism.

1) I would like to say that I never said it was impossible to change society. I just said you can tell them that, but that doesn't mean they won't try. We call girls beautiful because we want them to feel good about themselves. I've complimented a lot of girls. Just because if I say they are beautiful it's better for them rather than I said they are ugly. For two reasons. If I call them beautiful, they are happy and I'm 'safe' (I'll lead on to that). If I call them ugly, they will hate their image and I will be in shit for calling her ugly (which may be the truth). While on this topic, here is a double standard. If a guy called a girl ugly, he's in shit. If a girl calls a guy ugly, laugh about it. Feminists want us to be equal but why do they seperate us into two groups to tell us different things. They could tel us both to be happy with our appearance but they only say it to girls as if guys don't care. They could tell us both to not feel the need to act courageous but they only say it to guys as if girls aren't courageous (I am just going off everything you said).

2) You ended that with 'they'. Implying all males think like that. I will tell you know, what you said isn't really existent (based on my own experience). First of all, I know many people who are like me in the sense they wont act courageous just because they believe it's their role as males to present a 'strong' image. On the physical side. It's not just about how much you weigh, it's about how you look as well. I wouldn't care less if I weighed alot because of muscles. I'm sure you would rather weigh a lot and have that reason be of muscles rather than fat.

P.S. I would like to move away from feminism because there is a thread for that.
blue
pink
1) I would like to say that I never said it was impossible to change society. I just said you can tell them that, but that doesn't mean they won't try. We call girls beautiful because we want them to feel good about themselves. I've complimented a lot of girls. Just because if I say they are beautiful it's better for them rather than I said they are ugly. For two reasons. If I call them beautiful, they are happy and I'm 'safe' (I'll lead on to that). If I call them ugly, they will hate their image and I will be in shit for calling her ugly (which may be the truth). While on this topic, here is a double standard. If a guy called a girl ugly, he's in shit. If a girl calls a guy ugly, laugh about it. Feminists want us to be equal but why do they seperate us into two groups to tell us different things. They could tel us both to be happy with our appearance but they only say it to girls as if guys don't care. They could tell us both to not feel the need to act courageous but they only say it to guys as if girls aren't courageous (I am just going off everything you said).

I am not sure it is specifically feminists who get annoyed when you call a girl ugly, I imagine that this would be ill received by most company even before feminism was well known. The reason that you can call a guy ugly is because of the thing feminists are fighting; gender stereotypes. It goes back to believing that woman should care more about how they look and be more delicate emotionally while men shouldn't care about such insults because they are confident and thick skinned. Girls just care more about how they look most of the time, as well as being allowed to share their emotions and cry about such things while society tends to see this as a bigger weakness for a man to have than it would be in a woman.

2) You ended that with 'they'. Implying all males think like that. I will tell you know, what you said isn't really existent (based on my own experience). First of all, I know many people who are like me in the sense they wont act courageous just because they believe it's their role as males to present a 'strong' image. On the physical side. It's not just about how much you weigh, it's about how you look as well. I wouldn't care less if I weighed alot because of muscles. I'm sure you would rather weigh a lot and have that reason be of muscles rather than fat.

They is just a plural pronoun since there is more than one person being effected, I didn't mean to say that the majority of gym goers had this "manorexia" of sorts (not that normal anorexia doesn't effect men as well). I was just saying that gender role stereotypes can harm men as well, and that a lot of feminists want to change this. The problem is that not every guy is as logical as you and some people rely on self image based on the medias representation of what a "man" is and therefore continue to live life as normal but also really push themselves at the gym leading to an imbalance. I am not sure about the exact details of the matter but I know it is a real thing. Not every guy will be effected by gender stereotyping, but the fact that some people are is enough to make it important.

And as you said, this thread is not about feminism, so I will argue no further. I would like to clarify that I do not really think of myself as a feminist since I am not willing to campaign or rally for such a cause and because I believe there are much greater evils in this world than gender stereotypes. I just don't like people misinterpreting what the majority of feminists are actually trying to do. To an intelligent feminism, gender equality is not only about giving women power, but about changing the philosophy of society to allow people to act feminine or masculine and not be condemned according to whether their actions fit with their sex.

Thanks for reading.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Remember that this reality exists only when looking at the past through a modern lense. At the time no such mindset existed.

You would be correct, yes. Though I wasn't referring to the mindset of old with the implied meaning that it was something men/women were conscious of at the time (although it may have appeared that way), there was no hidden agenda in what I wrote.
collect snots from the nose