Ranking
Dscigs opinion is perfectly correct, I'd actually preffer my parents to flick my ears, or something like that, than having an uncomfortable, and awkward conversation about some matter of lesser importance.
/rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt
My parents always threatened me with " belt " if i did someting wrong, but they never actually did

Apathetic User
Ear-flicking isn't really a punishment. It's annoying and it stings for ten seconds. That's about it. A child isn't going to learn not to do something if that's all the punishment they get. It would only be relatively practical if they were in a public place, but I've seen parents even give out a full smack on the ass and a hushed warning not to do the annoying thing the child was doing.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Some of the most lasting and impactful lessons I learnt were punctuated by me getting slapped into the next dimension. Though it hasn't happened since I was about 7, I think it can effectively discipline a child but only to an extent.

If it becomes a frequent ritual of getting your ass kicked I can't see that having any positive psychological outcomes for a child towards their parent.

So basically it's fine in extreme moderation.
My heart just wouldn't be in it, you know? haven't got one.
I think it's fine to get a slap or something like that sometimes but seriously beating up your child won't help at all and is going to destroy the relationship.
Going to close this seeing as there's no more fruitful discussion on the topic. Think, if I'm honest, the thread was worded poorly. Too many people are going on about how beating a child is bad - of course it's bad, the topic is more about child discipline and drawing the line. I don't think anyone's going to argue that beating a child in any form is okay and all that could be discussed has been.
collect snots from the nose