Ranking
View Poll Results: Things have reason?
Yes, things happen for a reason.
19 Votes / 46.34%
No, everything does not happen for a reason.
22 Votes / 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

Original Post
Everything happens for a reason?
Well, this is an outlook I have been on both sides of throughout the course of my life, and decided that I wanted to see where most people stand on it. The gist of the idea is that everything that happens, even bad things, always have some purpose, usually in a higher/spiritual way. For now its just an open poll,but feel free to express why you feel either way.

I can elaborate on my choice if you really want to read my ramblings.

EDIT: O.k. so either I have gone completely blind/stupid and cant remember how to make polls, or they have been disabled. I guess just post what you think then.

I think everything does NOT happen for a reason.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
Poll added, in case you wanted one.

PM me if you want me to change anything on it.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
Sometimes I see a little clip of an event that happens later on in my life.
One time I saw myself walking into an operating room, and getting a mask strapped on me.
Next month, I needed stitches in my leg and had to go to an operating room and go under anestisia.
The poll options are too specific.

I don't think anything happens because some deity planned it, yet i don't think the universe is random OR uninteresting.
Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
The poll options are too specific...

I don't think anything happens because some deity planned it, yet i don't think the universe is random OR uninteresting.

lol, yeah, uninteresting doesn't really apply :P
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
If everything happens for a reason, then what is the point of free will? This idea would mean that each action that we take is predetermined. Each action is simply one action in a long chain. I don't like that too much.
beep
i believe that there are only illusions of "either/or" instances. like either light or shadow, either yes or no, either purposeful or random, but i believe both sides are all included.

I believe that all things that happen randomly hold inevitable purpose, weather or not it was intentional, and that all intentional events are inherently random.

I believe in the Tao of Anarchy.

The Tao: That in all parts of the whole, there exist examples of all other parts of the whole.

Anarchy: none of it is universally organized nor is any of it centrally controlled by any one element, body, person, or being.

Some things intentionally happen with preconceived purpose, some things happen intentionally with no foresight.
Some things also happen randomly, with preconceived purpose, some things happen randomly with benefits in hindsight.

There is no "everything".
"Everything", as a whole, is nothing at all.
I do think that we have free will but our choices will probably lead us to whatever we were destined for anyways.
I think all events within the universe are causally determined, and yet I think this chain of causality is what it is for no reason whatsoever; ergo random.

I have thought about this before, and random is the answer you get regardless of whether you believe a god planned it all, because if god is the unmoved mover then his own desires and abilities which have led to creation of the universe are necessarily random.
If a God exists and he created our ending destination in life he must have also predetermined the choices or steps made to that destination as well.