Ranking
Original Post
[Art]How to make Pre-Sketches (Detailed and IMAGE HEAVY)
In this tutorial, I will be using a program called 'Alchemy'.
Alchemy is a free drawing program. The only bad thing about Alchemy is that you cannot erase or undo. Since we will be working in black and white, we can just change the color to white and use THAT as an eraser.

You can download Alchemy here.

First, open Alchemy. Your Screen should look like this (To find that bar, move mouse up!):

The Starting Alchemy Screen

Your going to want to turn on your 'Mirror' Effect (Unless you don't like to mirror):

How to find 'Mirror'

Draw out your sketch:

My Sketch example

When done, export your image:

Where to find 'Export'

Select your export name and destination. Make sure its a .jpg or .png. Use the drop-down box, just adding .jpg/.png WON'T WORK:

How to save it PROPERLY

Keep the settings that pop up. You want width to be 1024, and if you change height, the width size changes.

The Default Settings

Open it up in your selected image editor thing. I use gimp, for example. When you put it in, change size from 1024x708 to 1024x512(After you Color/Shade, You resize it to 512x512 at the end):

It Posted in Gimp

Trace it, fill it, shade it, etc. After you're done, flatten it and size it to 512x512. Then you get your product. Mine happens to be:

My Result

I didn't go into detail with the actual texture making, this is just about making sketches.

I do not own GIMP, I do not own Alchemy. I made this tutorial myself. Please don't steal it. If people ask, link them here, or tell them about Alchemy.

Thanks.
~Tubba
Last edited by Tubba75; Jul 14, 2011 at 05:02 AM.
Nice tutorial it will be really helpfull. But i have a question: to start coloring and stuff do you select the part with the selection tool? But anyway link isn't working
Oops, forgot to do the link.

Also, use paths/pentool (Depending if you use PS or GIMP).

Smooth Curves are your friend.
nice tut.
armed with this i can start making heads (lol jks was gonna start anyways)
seriously this will help alot
<Pab10> i knew it
<Pab10> im a wizard
Thnx, I hope so.

Eddy Moderated Message:
User infracted for this post (useless post)
Last edited by Eddy; Dec 8, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
nice, you recover the thread.
also, you should post a tut for shading with gimp

I might get around to it, I might not. I'm pretty sure you can figure it out.

Simply do this:

Say I have my hair layer. It's mapped, colored, etc.
How do I add a shadow?
Duplicate the layer, make the bottom one dark grey, and Gaussian Blur (10x 10y PX).

Taadaa! Gratz. You now have something shaded.

Works on everything that is FILLED IN. Doing it on just an outline is too complicated to get into without actually showing you (Pics/Vid).

Also, just a tip, NEVER merge your Shadow layer with whatever it is shadowing.
Updated the Thread, started getting dusty. Put the images in Spoilers, and bolded/added important things. I would absolutely love a ton of feedback.

7 Month Bump, but not reviving old threads - Just keeping them updated and useful.
Tubby Tubba's Tubby Textures!
Cheap, Decent Cartoon Heads!