ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Darkest Dungeon

You can follow the game more closely here,
be sure to create an account!

(Please follow a format of *Toribash name*, *Darkest Dungeon name*, through a PM to me so I can add you to the players list.)

Players
(TB - DD)
Rune - Rune

Game

Darkest Dungeon is a challenging gothic RPG about the stresses of dungeon crawling. You will lead a band of heroes on a perilous side-scrolling descent, dealing with a prodigious number of threats to their bodily health, and worse, a relentless assault on their mental fortitude! Five hundred feet below the earth you will not only fight unimaginable foes, but famine, disease, and the stress of the ever-encroaching dark. Darkest Dungeon focuses on the humanity and psychological vulnerability of the heroes and asks: What emotional toll does a life of adventure take?

Darkest Dungeon is not a game where every hero wins the day with shiny armor and a smile. It is a game about hard trade-offs, nearly certain demise, and heroic acts.

Characters

Be warned, characters in Darkest Dungeon are not the unwavering heroes of high fantasy. While they are certainly tough and capable fighters, they are also human, and respond emotionally to the horrors they encounter.
  • Your Jester has seen one too many party members die in combat, and is prone to nihilistic rants, stressing the other party members! Do you send him carousing in town to blow off some steam, or consign him to the sanitarium to collect himself?
  • Your Bounty Hunter has begun relying on the bottle as much as his battleaxe. His inebriated fury is a welcome damage boost for the party, but he has grown increasingly unpredictable and erratic. Do you bench him in town, or simply lash more liquor to his pack?
  • At camp, your Plague Doctor's methods unnerve your Highwayman, and he refuses her treatments. Maybe you should rethink the idea of combining them in the same party again.
  • A critical hit from a skeleton sends your Vestal reeling, and instills in her a crippling fear of the Undead. She can fight well enough against other foes, but if you expect her to keep her head through the Crypts, you'll first need to send her to the Cathedral to do some serious prayer and contemplation.
(Many more characters to be implemented, some aren't mentioned and would take me too long to explain. Sorry.)

Characters' stress levels respond dynamically to virtually every occurrence in the dungeon, both positive and negative. Coming across a rotting corpse may unnerve your Highwayman, or may fuel your Crusader's determination. If the pressures of their circumstances become too overwhelming, their resolve is broken, and they will become afflicted with a myriad of psychological conditions ranging from paranoia, panic, greed, or even sadism . Afflicted party members will act out in a variety of ways that impact the play experience during combat, exploration, camping, and even in town. And like weary soldiers who have seen too much, your heroes will develop permanent quirks and emotional baggage based on their experiences.

Gameplay

Tactical, strategic, and deceptively deep, combat in Darkest Dungeon combines nostalgia with the elegance of modern design. It will challenge you in fresh new ways. Party order is crucial for setting up attacks, but it can also expose your heroes to threats. At all times, you must juggle the need to do damage with the importance of protecting the health and minds of your party members. Train, upgrade, and adjust your loadout to find the right combination of skills, honing your party into a four-person monster-wrecking Special Forces team.
  • Invest in unique character skills, manage your loadout, and customize your party to your play style.
  • Learn and master tactical positioning and skill combos.
  • Battle a huge variety of enemies with challenging attacks and innovative mechanics.
  • Use your party as a single fighting unit - set up and unleash combos using multiple characters to devasting effect!
  • Face down intimidating bosses.
  • Get obliterated by intimidating bosses!

Game Developement

Development began in May 2013 and the game was formally announced with the "Terror and Madness" trailer in October 2013. A successful Kickstarter campaign was run in February 2014, earning over $313,337 from approximately 10,000 backers. Darkest Dungeon was first exhibited to the public at PAX East and then PAX Prime 2014. Early Access was released on Steam on Feb 3rd, where it remained #1 worldwide top seller for 7 days. Full PC/Mac release is targeted for later 2015, with PS4 and Vita confirmed to follow.

The game is currently in early access mode and during the next 6 months us players will be able to suggest ideas to the game developers to enhance our experience!

Features

Quick sum up, we've talked about some of this stuff before

I'm guessing that pretty much sums it up, I'll add stuff as the game progresses, tips and stuff.
If you start playing then PM me in the format stated around the top so I can add you to the list!

/!\ This is a discussion/gloat thread. I didn't post this so we could start writing what we though of the game, I posted it so we could share tips and advice and - of course, gloat. Normal forums rules apply here, no shit posting or insulting, no 1 word posts. /!\

If anyone has found extra information on the game/links to future developement please PM them to me. Thanks.

Last edited by zubin; Jul 20, 2015 at 05:58 PM.
Nice thread; could do with some images though.

I've had Darkest Dungeon for a while now and I only cleared the first two bosses.
Takes a lot of patience and some ROG to not lose your best men
Very true, most of the time I just rush in and lose all but one who ends up turning insane.
The game has insane lifelike personality and emotional caracteristiques.

Could you PM me your info?

(I'll add pictures at a later date.)
Last edited by zubin; Jul 20, 2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: (I'll add pictures at a later date.)
Yes it is.
It's great fun, it's not MP but we can always gloat about new found objects, dungeons, items or pets.

It doesn't cost that much. 20$ CAN, 15$ USD.