Ranking
Original Post
[C++] You should totally learn C++ with us.

So, it's been suggested that an organization be made, and it has. Currently, I am trying to set up a group of people who either know, or want to learn the programming language C++. I feel that knowing this language contributes a better understanding of the software you use on a daily basis, and an overall appreciation for the work put in to make such programs. Now, I've read that that C++ isn't exactly the best language to start on. I personally have absolutely NO experience programming, other than maybe GameMaker, and batch. So I will be learning from scratch, how to write C++.

y u doin this, bro?
The idea is, that being part of a social group will keep motivation up, and tediousness down. This is a great opportunity to learn the language, and meet new people. I am expecting all types of people to join, so if you feel that you might have trouble understanding the concepts, don't fret; we should have people who are experienced enough to help by the time you join.

how is this gunna work?
The way I am seeing this now, it will be sort of like a class. We might have weekly, or biweekly meetings with the purpose of assigning basic tutorials, answering questions, and sharing information. I plan on discussing concepts learned in previous tutorials, and discussing the organization itself.

but im not used to working in big groups
I also plan on developing some sort of educator system. This will be based on how much you already know, and you willingness to help others. If you can write a calculator, you are already >9000 steps ahead of the majority of us. You will most likely be appointed to a position that involves helping others out with concepts, and errors in code, etc. If the funds are available, I might consider a payment plan of some sort, like 500TC per session, or something like that. The organization will of course be funding this, not the student.

Ok, ok, but what am I getting out of this?
You are gaining extremely valuable knowledge about the building blocks of present-day computer applications. You are also potentially gaining a few e-friends, which are pretty valuable things nowadays. I also have some sort of possible competitions in mind. These would most likely involve creativity, instead of skill, to try and prevent handicaps from interfering. Take into account that these are all just ideas of mine alone, and haven't been discussed yet. More things are almost guaranteed to come.

So I recommend you join

What is this "C++"?

C++ (pronounced /ˌsiː plʌs ˈplʌs/ see plus plus) is a statically typed, free-form, multi-paradigm, compiled, general-purpose programming language. It is regarded as a "middle-level" language, as it comprises a combination of both high-level and low-level language features. It was developed by Bjarne Stroustrup starting in 1979 at Bell Labs as an enhancement to the C language and originally named C with Classes. It was renamed C++ in 1983.
As one of the most popular programming languages ever created[/B], C++ is widely used in the software industry. Some of its application domains include systems software, application software, device drivers, embedded software, high-performance server and client applications, and entertainment software such as video games. Several groups provide both free and proprietary C++ compiler software, including the GNU Project, Microsoft, Intel and Embarcadero Technologies. C++ has greatly influenced many other popular programming languages, most notably C# and Java.
C++ is also used for hardware design, where design is initially described in C++, then analyzed, architecturally constrained, and scheduled to create a register transfer level hardware description language via high-level synthesis.
The language began as enhancements to C, first adding classes, then virtual functions, operator overloading, multiple inheritance, templates, and exception handling among other features. After years of development, the C++ programming language standard was ratified in 1998 as ISO/IEC 14882:1998. That standard is still current, but is amended by the 2003 technical corrigendum, ISO/IEC 14882:2003. The next standard version (known informally as C++0x) is in development.

For the purposes of this organization, we will be using a compiler called DevCpp
A direct download can be found HERE.

The tutorial I plan on using as reference can be found HERE.

Current interested users: (I'll update later :V )

jxc1013
[email protected]
PredatorC
[email protected]
Gorman
[email protected]
Jimbobwe
[email protected]
vladvlad
[email protected]
carl
[email protected]
yoyo2009
[email protected]
sid
[email protected]
zynx
[email protected]
hkp326
[email protected]
We have an IRC channel set up now. It is #C++
Link works.
Last edited by jxc1013; Jan 24, 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Thanks.
I would like alot to join.
I have some experience in lua, for tb and LOVE.
I would like to learn a new language, that I can use for many other things.

My msn is [email protected], add me.
multiple texture uploader! updated: multiple texture remover!
updated pretty colorlist!

<BobJoelZ> ok ive just rebooted my pc and ive tried to activate my reflex on yahoo internet explorer :/ no luck

<Aracoon> I do not enjoy having anal sex with multiple men
intriguing, I'm interested, I am not knowledgeable of C++ and would like to possibly learn something.
It's. . . been too long.
I'll pm you links to some things I think would be helpful. Also would it be too much to ask members to go buy or rent a book?
A certain recluse, I know not who, once said that no bonds attached him to this life, and the only thing he would regret leaving was the sky.
No Not really. I'll go and buy it and btw can you tell me what version book you want us to bring.
Jimbobwe, I had this in mind. It's free, and you don't have to go out into the sun to get it.

What book, though?
Last edited by jxc1013; Jan 10, 2011 at 02:14 AM.
Thanks.
Codepad is a great resource for people too lazy to install a compiler / don't know how / don't want to.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
Codepad is a great resource for people too lazy to install a compiler / don't know how / don't want to.

That's pretty cool. I'd like to standardize for people who are just starting, though. So I've provided a DL link for the compiler I've been using to learn. They use it to teach Computer Science at my school, too, so I assume it is up to par.
Thanks.