Toribash
Original Post
Running on older iBooks
I have two almost identical iBooks, both 700mhz G-3's with 384 Megs of RAM. Both have an ATI Rage 16Meg video card.

On #1, running 10.3.9, TB runs, but with nothing visible but the cursor. The cursor is active - I can navigate - but only because I know where to click.

On #2, running 10.4.1, TB immediately crashes, with a "incompatible CPU-subtype" error appearing in the crashlog.

I am an admin on both machines.

Is Tiger the problem on box #2? Why nothing to see on box #1? I've tried changing screen sizes and resolutions. 16 Megs may not be much, but TB runs fine (albeit slowly) on a 450mhz G-4 with a 16 Meg ATI card.
Last edited by ekueku; Aug 30, 2007 at 11:34 PM.
i don't think that toribash is power pc native, or universal...if so, that would explane what's happining. (i'm running tiger and it works fine, but i'm on an intel comp)
Last edited by Gamling; Sep 1, 2007 at 08:14 PM.
Say again?
What would explain what? Both machines are running the same PowerPC 750 CPUs. Both are 700mhz.

I don't doubt that TB runs under Tiger, on some machines. It doesn't run on mine. My mention of Tiger was partly to suggest a possible reason for the difference between the way TB acts on my two otherwise identical boxes.
I test Toribash on an old iBook G4 to verify the universal binary.

If you say it doesn't work on G3 it unfortunately probably don't work there. Toribash outputs error message in the Console.app (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app). If you have some information there please send it to [email protected]. It could be some easy thing we can fix for it to run.
It does run on one iBook g3, but with an empty window, except for the cursor. On the other, identical except that it is running Tiger, it gives the error that I originally posted.

Universal binary or not is not the issue.

EDIT: or perhaps it is. Certainly, from what I've learned via google, the incompatible cpu-subtype error is sometimes encountered under 10.4 with programs that run fine under 10.3 . See, for example, http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/...07/1/25/177751
in which the response is "You are linking to a non-universal dylib or framework."

Sorry, I don't have otool handy to dig further.
Last edited by ekueku; Aug 31, 2007 at 08:16 PM.
Originally Posted by hampa View Post
I test Toribash on an old iBook G4 to verify the universal binary.

If you say it doesn't work on G3 it unfortunately probably don't work there. Toribash outputs error message in the Console.app (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app). If you have some information there please send it to [email protected]. It could be some easy thing we can fix for it to run.

I've now run otool on tb_osx:

otool -L tb*
tb_osx:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 11.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/GLUT.framework/Versions/A/GLUT (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
@executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
@executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL_mixer.framework/Versions/A/SDL_mixer (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
@executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL_ttf.framework/Versions/A/SDL_ttf (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.4.0)
/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 88.3.9)

The last item looked a bit weird. Google tells me that others have problems with that version of libSystem.B.dylib - but it doesn't tell me how to solve them.

What version of libSystem.B.dylib are you using? What version of Tiger, for that matter. Mine is 10.4.10.

I know that 10.3's libSystem.B.dylib differs from 10.4's, but don't know that that is really the problem.