Toribash
Original Post
Tabletop roleplaying -> IRC rpg
I was looking for a 'hobbies' section on the forums to post this, but there isn't any, so what the hell.

A day or two ago, Yourface created a "Dungeons&Dragons" org. Now, I've been roleplaying for about 13 years, and what I saw there was far below my standards. "your in a hallway and you can go left or right" indeed... -_-

I was thinking of hosting an adventure or two, maybe a campaign, on IRC. Separate channel, die rolling script, simple adventure for starters, etc.
You know, moderated channel, players voiced, spectators not voiced.

I do expect some previous experience in roleplaying, or, bar that, at least some healthy interest in getting along. I'd like to get past the whole hack'n'slash->loot->kill more monsters thing.
Anyone interested?

Oh, btw, you'll probably need some rulebooks... I know where to find them, but let's discuss that in private, shall we?
Last edited by Skazz; Feb 11, 2009 at 04:49 AM.
I'm back, I think... :)
Mod Pack
Posting my interest.

Full support, and will help any way i can
If u wanna do maps, then i can draw pics!
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
spirit has done this for about a year now.

Unfortunately, all of spirit's members are more or less unmotivated smart people who are epicly good at Toribash.

mIRC dice rolling script for your convenience though:

roll {
  set %_count 0
  set %_stuff 0
  :rollpoint 1
  inc %_count
  %_tmp = $rand(1,$2)
  %_stuff = %_stuff + %_tmp
  if (%_count < $1) goto rollpoint
  echo Rolled $1 $+ d $+ $2 $+ : %_stuff
}
Goes in aliases, format is: /roll numberofdice numberofsides

All I request is a free spot despite not being in OLDA.

(And possibly for the rest of spirit who I can get to be motivated)
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
suo: of course, you're more than welcome to play. I only posted this thread here for fear of attracting people like Yourface, who think in terms of HACK, SLASH, LOOT, EXP. By no means is this idea restricted to OLDA.

Bear in mind that this is just in concept phase for the moment... I thought of posting in the spirit forum to recruit a few people, then I thought better of it
Could I ask you to ferret out those who would truly enjoy something like this? IRL, I usually stick to 4 players, 5 max. But online, considering how what's said on IRC is said, logged and timestamped, I could probably manage a larger party.

I'll repeat what I PM'ed to Gorman, for information purposes:

As an outline:

I won't have an exact map in front of me while I GM; I like cinematic descriptions.
It won't just be dungeon crawling/monster killing; I expect a bit of story/personality behind every character in play, and, erm, how should I put this... Encountering and outbluffing a mysterious stranger in a tavern is action, too
Also, I firmly believe in roleplaying directive No. 1: the first thing you throw in the thrash is the rulebook

I might post session summaries on the forum, but the actual gameplay will take place in an IRC channel.
Think of the advantages... Imagine the party of 5 in a town... Two go off to buy supplies, while the others hang out in the tavern. I make a new channel, where the first two can buy supplies and stuff.
The other three don't know what they did, unless they're told afterwards. I can multitask that way.

Also, die rolling will take place through me. I've got a script that'll respond to messages like '!d20 x', where x is the target number. So whenever I'm present in a channel, players can roll whatever dice they like, do stuff, and everything...

What I'd like is to spin an epic tale of adventure, with a nice, engaging plot, rife with mystery, a little character development, and an epic climactic battle with a meaningful foe.

Catch my drift?
Mod Pack
I want in. I haven't played a game like this in years..I think I was about 15 the last time, but I would really enjoy doing it again. I have a basic understanding of how the games are played, and I really like the whole "throw the rulebook in the garbage" thing.

I could use a refresher though, so if you want to PM about some rule books, that would be cool.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
OMG! *has flashbacks of teenage years*

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
We'll see how it goes ;)

As a side note I've still got a stack of DnD books >.>

/nerd

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by skulfuk View Post
We'll see how it goes ;)

As a side note I've still got a stack of DnD books >.>

/nerd

there is no real

/nerd

I have tried...it never seems to work
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
Okay, so we have Deady, Gorman, Suomynona, and possibly Skulfuk.
One or two more should do the trick... So I'd like you to start thinking about what kind of character you'd like to play. I'm not sure on what races I'm going to use, yet, so don't pin it all down too much.

Also, I'm working on a remote die-rolling script for mirc. That way, chatzilla users don't have to download mirc; they can just shout a command, and my client will make the roll for them.

What may also be handy is a list of timezones. Mine is GMT+1, but I've got the biorhythm of a vampire, so we should be able to figure out a good time to play.
Mod Pack