Toribash
Original Post
Improvement ideas for Replays

Replays are one of the main things people play Toribash for.
This is why we need to think of different ways it can improve
I would like to make a few suggestions here to get things started,
Hoping everyone else has some ideas to add to this.

-Having more accurate speed options. ( x1.5 )
-Choosing what speed people see the replay on.

Explanation

-Having a time bar at the lower screen ( like a video player ) And being able to skip forward and backward.
-Being able to share replays in-game. ( Credits to: Folv )
-Being able to make folders in-game. ( Credits to: Budsi )
-Being able to make folders, Inside of folders. ( Credits to: Budsi )
-Being able to sort replays by Date/Alphabetic/Player/Mod _ And having a search bar to easily find replays. ( Credits to: hezkezljr )
-Having some better camera angles for the number hotkeys.
----A.Topside view: Completely above.
----B.Side view: Sticks to the side of both players, so one wont hide the other.( I do this manually anyways ) Will also come in very handy for video makers.

-Updating the sound effects of the game.
-Having the option to show a specific pose/photo of the winner after winning a game.

Explanation

-Being able to see through objects blocking the players.
-Being able to add different effects at some moments of the replay. ( Could be a purchasable item )
-Being able to cut some frames at the end of a replay in-game. ( Credits to: xbcz )
-Renaming a replay should change the actual name of the replay, and not the file alone. ( Credits to: xbcz )

These are some things which will help greatly improve the game, and should be looked into.

Everything that came to my mind started with budsi's thread with the posts made by Folv and hezkezljr.
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=583313

Last edited by Mafi; Jan 12, 2017 at 02:28 PM.
You can't fight change. You can't fight nature.
I'll address all your points one by one:

- Sure why not
- bad idea, there's a reason default speed is default speed
- This would be really helpful for longer replays
-
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post

-Being able to share replays in-game. ( Credits to: Folv )
-Being able to make folders in-game. ( Credits to: Budsi )
-Being able to make folders, Inside of folders. ( Credits to: Budsi )
-Being able to sort replays by Date/Alphabetic/Player/Mod _ And having a search bar to easily find replays. ( Credits to: hezkezljr )

All these have been addressed in the original thread, although I agree with the search basr option a lot.

- Yeah, the current "Tori-vision" and "Uke-vision" and pretty bad, I think it should be a fixed sight line, that doesnt follow the opposite head. Both your suggestions are pretty useful too.
- The sound effects are fine as is I think.
- This would completely ruin the flow of the replay if they jerked into an awkward pose right at the end.
- This does get quite annoying
- The effects would have to be very simple, and probably toggleable, so you can see the raw replay

Originally Posted by Kore View Post
- This would completely ruin the flow of the replay if they jerked into an awkward pose right at the end.

Not moving the character into a position. But showing a picture.
That would just look tacky and horrible, I would much rather have something like you described, if you pay for an effect for replays, why not pay for a win effect? Like start getting shot out of your body

Originally Posted by Kore View Post
That would just look tacky and horrible, I would much rather have something like you described, if you pay for an effect for replays, why not pay for a win effect? Like start getting shot out of your body

Care to explain why it looks tacky and horrible ?
First off: Thank you so much for making this thread it was very much needed, and thank you for the credit. I was thinking of making one myself but I don't have to since you made this and I'll probably close my thread lol.

I agree with Kore on pretty much everything. I think all of these ideas are great, however I agree that I don't think the pose would really add anything that is useful or looks good. It would be kind of random and jumpy so show the end of the replay, quickly show a pose, and then restart the replay (all of this within a few seconds because there is not much time after a replay ends before it replays it).

I don't see many problems with the choosing the replay speed for viewers suggestion, however it doesn't seem very necessary to be able to do and seems like it would be annoying to do and implement (like would you have to save the replay at a specific speed [which would be annoying], or like something else).

Other than those, I definitely agree with everything else and I think a lot of the ones you added are great suggestions.
Last edited by Budsi; Jan 11, 2017 at 09:46 PM.
-Being able to start from specific frame and jump to specific frame. From command line and with editing replay file.
-Making rename replay feature affecting replay name and only name of .rpl file
Ok, so, about both speed ideas: choosing what speed people will see the replay is a bad idea. Look, if you do it, the player who is watching the replay will be not able to change the speed, because if not, whats the point on doing it? Hide speed flaws in a replay? Got what i mean?

The only thing that would be nice is to be able to change game rules like gravity, but without a script, during a replay.

The other things i totally support.
Factory. Sometimes sleeping.
Originally Posted by Budsi View Post
I don't think the pose would really add anything that is useful or looks good. It would be kind of random and jumpy so show the end of the replay, quickly show a pose, and then restart the replay (all of this within a few seconds because there is not much time after a replay ends before it replays it).

I edited a screenshot to show everyone an example of this idea.

First you go into any mod in single player and take a picture of it.
(I know if we upload it to forums people can use photos out of Toribash.
But if that is considered a problem, the capturing and uploading should be done in-game to prevent it.)

Then use the screenshot on the [Win-Photo]
And after you win the game>

Originally Posted by Arakata View Post
Ok, so, about both speed ideas: choosing what speed people will see the replay is a bad idea. Look, if you do it, the player who is watching the replay will be not able to change the speed, because if not, whats the point on doing it? Hide speed flaws in a replay? Got what i mean?

Originally Posted by Budsi View Post
I don't see many problems with the choosing the replay speed for viewers suggestion, however it doesn't seem very necessary to be able to do and seems like it would be annoying to do and implement (like would you have to save the replay at a specific speed [which would be annoying], or like something else).

Not sure what you mean but i will explain what i meant by:
-Choosing what speed people see the replay on.
For example in a spar i just finished, the movements are a little faster than i like them to be.
I choose speed of ( x0.8 ) and click on [set as default speed]
Afterwards each time that replay is opened, the speed is automatically set to ( x0.8 ) and is change-able.

If you still disagree please take your time to explain why

Originally Posted by xbcz View Post
-Being able to start from specific frame and jump to specific frame. From command line and with editing replay file.
-Making rename replay feature affecting replay name and only name of .rpl file

I agree with both, i will add them to the first post.
Sorry, Mafia, but i mean, if you can't make a replay with a good and perfect speed that you was looking for, you need to improve yourself, your skills, not the game. Toribash is this.

Also, no hard feelings when i mean about the skills. Everyone has something to learn ;)
Factory. Sometimes sleeping.