Toribash
Original Post
PC vs. Next gen consoles
So, lots of talk about new consoles coming soon from Sony and Microsoft are currently all over the internet, but at the moment I'm not sure if I will want one of the new consoles or a PC.
Which one do you think will be better and why? How powerful do you think these consoles will be?
Last edited by Aracoon; Feb 7, 2013 at 05:03 AM.
Likely, a decently built but fairly expensive PC, even right now, will outperform even what will be the newest of the new for consoles.

The biggest argument for that would be that consoles are made for low-range/mid-range consumers, in the long run, not using top of the line enthusiast hardware, because doing so would make your new console cost more than some used cars. On the other hand, in a PC, due to the modularity of the system, not every part needs to be top of the line to make a decent machine, and if new parts become available, chances are decent that it can be integrated into the existing system.

So, however powerful they are, not as powerful as a well built PC is today, most likely.

For actual game market, one of the consoles may very well be better, due to exclusivity and the fact that some of the more well known games are built for consoles and only then ported back to the PC. Furthermore, ideally a console would ensure that all games ran more or less exactly the same on each system. This isn't true of a PC, of course.

But if you're interested in computational power, consoles are almost never a good decision.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
PC's always win, mainly because you can customize them to an extreme extent, with a console, what you get is what you get, they are more powerful than say an i3 desktop, but thats it.
My signature was too long so I got this pretty rainbow here instead now. Isn't it nice? This is a nice rainbow.

Risk did this to me and I hate him forever, please join the official "Fuck Risk in the Ass With a Live Bat" social group to join me in hating Risk:
Click here to join my cult to fuck Risk in the ass with a live bat
Neither, iOS games are the future.
the inner machinations of my mind are an enigma
New consoles are going to be expensive. but not as expensive as an equally specced pc.
upgrading a moderately specced pc will be cheaper than buying a console though.

Personally, if i ever consider getting one of the new consoles, I'll be waiting for the slim versions. they'll be better then the originals in every way. they always are.

as it stands, if your pc is decently specced atm, it will probably still last a while, once consoles are released, games are not suddenly going flip the "next gen" switch and be unplayable on current pc's.

will be sticking with my pc, atleast until prices drop and slimlines are released.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
It's funny because next-gen just means a certain graphics card got cheap enough to mass produce, so they're updating the hardware. It's certainly not top of the line, and it's certainly not next generation.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Ah, so these new consoles probably wont seem much better than the current consoles in terms of graphics?
Also I agree BenDover, I waited for the newer version of the Xbox 360 before getting one. (the slim)
Last edited by Aracoon; Feb 7, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
The way things are heading with consoles it'll be down to choosing between a PC or a Wii-U since Microsoft & Sony don't seem to want people to buy their gear.
Either that or they found a warehouse full of meth & have been living in it since.

Also graphics don't mean shit, gameplay > all. If kids learned that then we wouldn't have had to deal with the shitty games this gen provided.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
The way things are heading with consoles it'll be down to choosing between a PC or a Wii-U since Microsoft & Sony don't seem to want people to buy their gear.
Either that or they found a warehouse full of meth & have been living in it since.

Wut?
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
Also graphics don't mean shit, gameplay > all. If kids learned that then we wouldn't have had to deal with the shitty games this gen provided.

I know right, goddamn, this generation... Fuck off "cutting edge graphics".
Originally Posted by ImmortalCow View Post
Wut?

If that is what I think it is, it's a jab at the fact Sony/Microsoft have been trying to kill off the used games market.

Also, it may interest you that the actual power of the Wii-U has been discovered recently - and it's certainly not next-gen tech. It's just slightly better than current-gen consoles.

Not that I ever play a game for its graphics. I still play Doom and Quake! Brutal Doom is a great thing.
Last edited by 4zb41; Feb 7, 2013 at 09:10 PM.