Toribash
Original Post
[Art] Skyrim and a head
Hey fellas,

Here's a couple quick sketches of mine and AgentP's Skyrim characters.
I did this initially because I play on xbox so I couldn't take a screenshot for our clans screenshot thread. Thought it might be neat.
They're a bit rough, but I don't like to spend more than half an hour on this stuff or I get a bit bored, start something new and never open the file again...
Anyways, here they are.

Pics

I just found the file of this head texture again and I still don't have any ideas for the sides or back. So some ideas would be appreciated ;)

Pic

Last edited by Jebus; Dec 1, 2011 at 09:54 AM.
You'll have to excuse me, I'm not at my best. I've been gone for a month, I've been drunk since I left.
your drawing work is great, shape and proportioning of the character is spot on.
the wrist could do with some cleaning up and work on structure, do a quick anatomy study on that area, the wrist has a bit more to the shape than that.

your shading style is starting to get a bit repetative now, havnt seen much growth in your recent pieces in that area. you often make the same mistake as darkjak makes, shading in black and white instead of lighter and darker shades.
monobi has a few interesting shading tricks that really make his peices pop(see his cthulu head), and would be pretty relevant to this piece, you should really try check out

struggling to see much depth, especially in the clothes, his right shoulder is obviously angled back, but the shading doesnt suggest that at all. smaller/finer brush strokes the further back you go, to keep scaling right.

the second one is pretty cool as well, smooth.
the chest piece looks flat, no ridges from the armour, but i really like the imprint on the breastplate.
that forward sword looks excellent, perspective is dead right.
lines could use some sharpening up, it looks very rough.

overall its all very impressive, with some minor tweaks and refining up, they could be really classy.

its a pity kungfuJC isnt around anymore and monobi is around much either, they would be able to really help you improve.
shout at bojan and ezeth, they both have a real flair for fantasy concepts, would be good guys to chat to about your art
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Mmm, great advice. Should've joined this org sooner eh?
I'm starting to do figure and anatomy studies everyday again, so I'm hoping that'll help with the crappy anatomy in all my stuff.
About the shading in only black and white, would you actually make a palette or pick some mids for this type of basic grey scale stuff? I actually only use pure black and white for this stuff. I just put the opacity and brush size to pen pressure and go to town...
About the second ones chest piece. My excuse is that I only use 1 layer so that darn sword kept getting in my way, lol. But I'm going to go back and fix it and suck in his paunch a bit too.

I'll make sure to check out that cthulu head and send one of these fellas a pm ;)
You'll have to excuse me, I'm not at my best. I've been gone for a month, I've been drunk since I left.
struggling to see much depth, especially in the clothes, his right shoulder is obviously angled back, but the shading doesnt suggest that at all. smaller/finer brush strokes the further back you go, to keep scaling right.

The anatomy is quite good (even though you hide much of it under a bunch of clothes)
the main problem is the quote above, everything gets so thick and undefined that its hard to see what exactly is going on.

I think you also should start coloring your works, not that black and white doesn't have the ability to look good, but if you don't color your work you will have a hard time to do so in the future, because there are a lot of complicated techniques you have to worry about.

You should also decide lightsource before you start to paint (I'm not good at this) but that makes it easier for you to shade properly. As you can see your shading makes it difficult to see where exactly the light is coming from because there are bright spots basically everywhere.

Another problem is that the viewer won't know what to focus on, because the whole work has pretty much the same amount of details and there are no points that attracts your attention because pretty much everything looks the same.

So how can you make a point that attracts your viewers attention. Where do you want your viewers eyes to go?

What you can do is.

Make a point more detailed than the rest
Make a point a little brighter or at least make the edge, bottom or top darker.
Make it so that the main point of attention is placed in favor of the rules of thirds

Here is a good example of the three above.
http://zetpk.deviantart.com/favourit...fset=0#/d1sfxq

So black and white makes it much harder for you to create an interesting drawing, and therefore black and white is usually only applied when you are trying to create a special effect.
Last edited by Ezeth; Dec 1, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Thanks for the pointers, Ezeth.
Can't always have everyone nude. I keep that to my figure studies ;)
You guys are both right, I'm working on more cloth and drapery studies now. That should help with the thickness and such.
I usually go straight to color after I have a decent sketch going, but lately I've been trying to improve my values. So I'm starting to do more grey-scale work. I'll post some colored stuff soon.
Thanks for bringing up the rule of thirds, I really need to start using that...
Anyways, thanks again for the very helpful comments guys. Any tips or ideas for that head?
Finaly i find a Skyrim-Toribash post.The head texture is amazing!
I wish you made a DragonBorn helmet thats in the teaser trailer and all other.I would be happy