Toribash
What's pissing me off is that I still haven't got around this, I feel so bad about it and my last day for school is tomorrow. School has been annoying me and when I get home I don't want to do anything. So annoying, I'll probably get around to it after I'm out of school. I'm. Sorry people... I really like making tutorials and things like this too.
Skill level can be tracked by your ability to accuratly predict your opponents moves.
Thoughts on this statement?
Is there a better metric or is it too narrow.
I'm leaning towards too narrow. Though i do 5ink its quite high in importance for this game.
Originally Posted by monkeyishi View Post
Skill level can be tracked by your ability to accuratly predict your opponents moves.
Thoughts on this statement?
Is there a better metric or is it too narrow.
I'm leaning towards too narrow. Though i do 5ink its quite high in importance for this game.

i don't think that's true. Predicting your opponents moves id of course part of skill, but i would rather say a whole collection of things that you could call gamesense is what determines skill. Gamesense would include knowing your opponents moves and knowing how to react to them, knowing which joints to click to achieve your goal if the opponents moves like you think he will. Somenone who knows what will happen doesn't necessarily know how to fight it. A skilled player is someone who knows what he does and what the opponent does and who has control of the game.
If a player knows the game well enough to play without a ghost (and win) he can be considered skilled in my opinion, since he fullfils all the above mentionned things. Not only is he good at knowing what his opponent does, but he also knows how to react to it without trial and error.

And seriously guys, do you even think about "hmmm how is he going to react next?", for me it's just become a feeling that lets me know what to do without even really thinking about it. That's also why, even tho toribash used to be a game that i needed to concentrate on a lot, now i can just play it casually while watching videos or somehting.
I agree with Thron, of course being able to predict what you opponent may or may not do is definitely an important part of the skill set you need to be good at TB. Keep in mind also, that many situations you may find yourself in have different reactions that would work in different ways, but each reaction is effective in it's own way.
EXAMPLE: Imagine you're fitting in for a hip throw, but your opponent managed to get out of it by creating space. You could either turn in to him and do a switch drop, or you could turn away from him and do a suplex. Both reactions work in the end.
Originally Posted by Iskenos View Post
EXAMPLE: Imagine you're fitting in for a hip throw, but your opponent managed to get out of it by creating space. You could either turn in to him and do a switch drop, or you could turn away from him and do a suplex. Both reactions work in the end.

I think your choice there is a stylistic choice and doesn't have much to do with skill, but yeah ofc style is important too since every player plays with his own style
Skill level can be tracked by your ability to accurately predict your opponents moves and formulate plans to counter them and execute them
so questions from that.
why is style important? is it the style its self thats important or how it came to be?

Re: the feeling. thats the problem i'm running into when i try to teach people stuff. i take alot for granted as know by everyone and i have trouble articulating how "the feeling" work .
i think it works a bit like this. right what can they do to me. then a what would look cool and is possible and will put them down in the ring.
Style is important for individuality, it simply makes the game more fun and gives players an unique experience with any new ennemy