Ranking
Original Post
Need Help with My Desktop
Okay here's my specs,

GPU : GeForce GTX 275
CPU : Core 2 Quad 2.33 GHz (never been overlocked)
RAM : 4GB
Mobo : abit IX48-GT3

I wanna upgrade it, here's the question,

1. Should I just sell it and buy a new gaming rig?
2. Should I just upgrade it? If yes, what should I change or upgrade?
3. My Mobo is Crossfirex Supported, can I use SLI? (I have asked this question to DarkJak)
adotEngine : TOMATOES!
Jonggi : POTATOES! Copycat!
Why do you need an upgrade? You can play every game out there on max settings with this rig.
Proud member of [Pandora]
If it supports crossfire but not SLI then no, it wont support SLI :P they are very different.

You could always upgrade the RAM if you want but doesn't seem worth it, your CPU is fine as is your graphics card.

Potential upgrades:
  • CPU: Stick with Core 2 Quads with that MoBo, perhaps up the clock speed, probably not necessary.
  • Heat Sink: (Not sure what to recommend at this time, I can look if you want) A good heat sink will allow you to over clock that CPU, and be cheep.
  • Hard Drive: (SSD) getting your self a nice SSD (possibly this? ) and it will speed up your computer dramatically, however it's not cheep. Still this will make the biggest difference by far.
  • Graphics Card: If you want to play the latest games in DX11 get your self an ATI 5xxx series or the Nvidia 4xx series.
software sli is a possibility but it wouldn't really be worth it as hardware sli is much much faster
You don't say?
Woah, you mean the CPU won't bottleneck with any Nvdia 400 series? Well these days people usually use the i-core series
adotEngine : TOMATOES!
Jonggi : POTATOES! Copycat!
A quad core is more than capable of running any game, if anything you're GPU is your bottle neck.
Heck, you don't really need anything more than an AMD Athlon II 240 X2. (which is a (relatively) slow Dual core)
CPU's matter very little with games, provided they have two cores and an OK clock speed or better.
Other than some rts games, it's usually a gpu bottleneck. Also the gtx 275 can't run all the games totally maxed out at playable framerates, which is why he may upgrade. Going from 30 to 40 is already a noticeable difference in smoothness.

The 400 series won't be bottlenecked by the quad core, especially if you can overclock it. Which one is it? Model number.

If you aren't gaming all the newest games though, your build is fine.

An ssd will show the most improvement IMO. Cuz harddrives are usually what slows computers down now. Not as helpful in gaming, but oh so nice everywhere else. But I don't recommend them right now cuz of the price, which hasn't fallen as fast as most people expected.

What's the size of your power supply? You'll need a larger one for a gtx 470/480.
If you want to max out games with AA and dx11, the 400's are better than the ati 5000's tier to tier. The ati's have more raw power but nvidia probably put the r&d into solving AA intensiveness. At least that's how the benchmarks look when the ati cards lose double the framerate with AA vs nvidia.

When I upgraded a new mobo+CPU+ram, I only noticed a 5% increase in framerates. It was a huge upgrade too. Cost about 600 bucks for it all, didn't skimp. Those won't be the best bang/buck unless you are running on a 5 yr old build.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
the athlon II x2 240 is what i have voxus, it's overclocked to 3.8ghz, it's really good for a dual core amd processor. most core 2 quads outperform todays amd quads in performance tests so yea i would say your quadcore would do excellent with a better graphics card behind it, like what darkjak suggests

side note here: games that rely on physics engines other than physx by nvidia tend to be really slow on dual cores and triple cores. one example is GTA IV. very poorly cpu optimized game because it runs the euphoria physics engine. most average quadcores should get above 40 fps where as a cpu like mine gets 30 fps ingame on average
Last edited by Organ; Jul 7, 2010 at 08:18 AM.
You don't say?
hmmm its a really good machine for gaming.i think u dont need to upgrade it.with these specs you can emulate PS2 games with 30-40 fps.
more than 30-40 fps buddy. pcsx2 has been MASSIVELY updated, my computer system runs ps2 games (that i actually own) at 60 fps.
You don't say?