ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Separating the art and the artist.
I think we must separate the art and the artist. For example, a good artist is became "good" because the works he produced, not the art become good because he's a popular artist. Because lately people seems rate the art based on who is the artist, not the art itself. What do you think about this?
Seniman Elektronik Indonesia | GATA
Got any questions ? Throw me a PM or just mention @toriabiz on Twitter
Who cares? Telling people what they should like is retarded. Instead you should accept their taste. Go hipster on what you like all you want but trying to rationalize what people consider good art is futile and kinda useless.
How are you?
i disagree.
I see most posts that go through the art board and i think the art board is pretty objective in the large scheme.
artists that build themselves a reputation for doing good work, generally do produce good work.

good work gets rewarded.
the users who think otherwise, generally think they are better than they actually are.

obviously there are exceptions, where some people get more recognition than is warranted, but that happens everywhere.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
So toribabiz, are you interested in discussing this in relation to Toribash only? Or should this discussion extend to art in general?

Either way. I think, you should consider the perspective of someone who is uneducated in the arts and is un-confident in his/her own tastes. It makes some sense and is easy to praise what others praise when you haven't already decided what you yourself consider good. And sometimes, this leads to judging by the artist.

In my opinion though, most of the time artwork gets praise because the work is actually good. And if you have an artist that tends to make good works then he/she will likely become popular. Which in turn can lead to increased demand for works by the artist. Which can also lead to works by the artist being valued for more. But I guess that's a bit of a tangent as value is not inherently related to how well "rated" an artwork is.
Last edited by GoodBox; Jul 15, 2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: could would should canned bacon
(>^_^)>
the good stuff from new, unknown artist is usually blatant c/p nuff said

Myself, I'm picky. I genuinely think very most art here is bad and good sets have their flaws too and I sometimes spot /em. However, I still buy art which might have value (tho is not largely my favorite).
i'll poke this..
from the artist view
.. and ill separate it into requests and non requests

non requests: usually less profit because nobody is telling you what to do, and you have to find someone who wants it bad enough to pay as much as a requester. However, you also have the chance to make something amazing and get lots of profit off it, from unique design or just well put together.

requests: you know the price you will get of the finished product. so as long as you are the "best" artist you will win. and since its more profitable to take high tc requests then the "better" artists migrate towards the higher profits. Now the requester just spent 150k on a set. why would he try to sell the set for less than 150k? so now you have a set by a "good" artist for a high price. even if the set is not worth the price.

pm requests are totally different, and this is probably where your inflated prices come from. so say i have 3 different sets going right now. also i want to do my own art and im a little busy in real life.. now someone really wants a request by a particular artist. he/she pm's the artist and the artist doesn't have the time. now the only way for the artist to "find time" is for the requester to keep raising prices until they bump out another person in the line. this is where some high prices can come from.

-sidenote. if i wasnt having fun, all offers of tc per time wasted is really bad for the artist. ie) 20k for a head and it takes 2 hours. 1$ per hour wooo!!!
so I am all for higher prices on requested work.
Well, replying to 13chillz.
I often have NO luck at all when I post my art in Art/Textures. But all I get is literally shit loads of PMs for requests. I can only sell my art by privately selling it though PM, never works when I publicly post it. I can see that they're not going for what I've put in the thread, but instead they send me a PM for a request. This is not bad, they pay high. But I can only do 2/3 requests at a time. :3

More on to topic:
I can see what you mean by this one. Some xJuicy sets that I see can be very sharp, or blurry. He's getting low offers, then the thread owner posts saying that the artist was xJuicy, yeah. Got higher
It's entirely situational. I've been lurking art board and art/texture enough to claim that artist's name means pretty damn much.
What Ben said has a point though, good artist produces good work, and good work is rewarded, but many times i've seen mediocre work by a known artist and people have acted like it's another masterpiece.
I believe the reason for this is simply that there are not many people around TB that actually know about quality art, it's just about the amount of details and the artists' name, new guys in TB learn what is considered valuable pretty quickly.
At some point people considered me as a rather good texturer, i've been wondering why my textures were considered so 'good' since it was always the same style. My name actually meant something on the prices some times ago, not that much anymore.
But let's not get completely offtopic with this, in a nutshell i see your point completely, toriabiz. Would be pretty fun to see some respected artist show some art via unknown alt, and some new unknown guy make art and ask a respected guy to show it off. I'm quite sure the reactions would be based on the artist, not the art itself.
Last edited by Jodarok; Jul 16, 2013 at 06:49 AM.
It's All About Expansion
Originally Posted by Jodarok View Post
Would be pretty fun to see some respected artist show some art via unknown alt, and some new unknown guy make art and ask a respected guy to show it off. I'm quite reactions would be based on the artist, not the art itself.

this is interesting
certianly the view count goes up when the people know the author is an recognized artist.

and my previous post was trying to explain the high prices some people want to get for art when its not worth much. /compared against other art of the same quality.
Last edited by 13chillz; Jul 16, 2013 at 03:18 AM.
Art is subjective by nature, so I don't see the point in trying to objectify it. If someone wants to judge the value of something by who created it, then that's their call. Like any type of art, trying to tell someone what they should or shouldn't think is good, is kind of silly.
My signature sucks