ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Are guns and melee weapons reasonable defense towards criminals?
In an attempt to raise the activity of discussion…
Please do not make this thread about the USA only. There are more countries than that particular one.
Discuss the topic at hand. Make sure to cite sources, statistics and whatnot if you make claims.
There is no such thing as “it is obvious and common knowledge”.
I will delete may infract posts that are blatantly stupid.

Anyway, here is my personal opinion:

Lack of violence and lack of weapons go hand in hand. There are some distinctions that need to be made, however.
Weapons and guns are a product like any other. Prohibition can only be efficient as long as that product is low in demand. The country I live in (Germany) has a rather low demand for that product, therefore enforcing a prohibition on weapons is no big problem and does not cause much harm.
The USA, however, have a great demand for guns, therefore a prohibition would be harmful. Gun runners would make a lot of profit from a prohibition and that is something that should generally be avoided. Therefore a sophisticated gun control policy would be more efficient to ensure maximum security.
I realize that that is a rather weak compromise, considering how many guns are in circulation, but it's pretty much the best shot.
How are you?
Wait what? Your opinion has nothing to do with the discussion question, you just spoke about gun prohibition in different countries due to the demand on the product of the weapon. Are we discussing prohibition of weapons or whether or not a weapon is okay to use as self defense against your attacker?

In Australia, you can get fined a large sum of money for using a weapon as self defense against an attacker if you attack them first, which I think is bullshit because for rape victims, if they try protecting themselves and cause injury to the attacker, they can get sued with no compensation for the trauma that they could've received from the attempted rape..

Edit: even using pepper spray is illegal tool as self defense in Australia
Last edited by Holotor; Aug 7, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
You are right, I should have been more precise.
I do not believe that it's a civilian's job to enforce laws. I do think that defending yourself against a criminal with violence should be the least of all options. The best thing you can do is 1. run away 2. call the police 3. stay out savely.
When those options are not available to you you may fight back, but to do that you do not need a loaded gun, you can use tools that you can improvise with other tools you can find around your house (yes, I realize that that sounds somewhat ignorant, but considering the potential dangers of owning a gun it seems more ignorant to me to arm people who never received proper training).
Guns have the potential to help both the criminals and the victims, leading to a vicious circle.
Therefore I am in favour of a prohibition if that can be enforced, as stated in my first post.
Last edited by Redundant; Aug 7, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
How are you?
So you're against the use of weapons if you're the one getting assaulted?

Say you're getting sexually abused and the attacker is a much larger and stronger person than you are, you have a weapon available to you that is in accessible spot, or pepper spray, do you just stand there and let him/her have their way with you and they get away without getting caught or do you use that weapon as a way to protect yourself?
There is a great difference between lethal weapons and selfdefense weapons such as pepper sprays.
I would advocate against carrying a gun in order to protect yourself from assaults. Pepper sprays are reasonably save.

You ignored my point that lethal weapons can be used by both parties. :P
What would stop a rapist from abusing a gun to get his way? Acquiring a gun in a country where no prohibition is in place is significantly easier and criminals benefit from that.
How are you?
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
Lack of violence and lack of weapons go hand in hand.

Can you post some statistics to back this theory up? Australian statistics approximately show that reducing the number of firearms does not significantly reduce the number of murders.

http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/homicide/weapon.html
http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/violent%20crime.html

Murders generally fall in to three category, premeditated and accidental and crimes of passion. Of these three categories, reducing gun ownership reduces only accidental deaths - which is the same effect as banning cars, or coconut trees...
Prohibition can only be efficient as long as that product is low in demand.

Prohibition is only effective as long as there is not a culture of social disobedience. America's "freedom" culture is the counter-culture in question.

Australia has been posturing for a cigarette ban by using various means to reduce their usage and appeal. This is the correct way to take steps towards a ban, instead of making a declaration out of the blue.
The country I live in (Germany) has a rather low demand for that product, therefore enforcing a prohibition on weapons is no big problem and does not cause much harm.
The USA, however, have a great demand for guns, therefore a prohibition would be harmful. Gun runners would make a lot of profit from a prohibition and that is something that should generally be avoided. Therefore a sophisticated gun control policy would be more efficient to ensure maximum security.
I realize that that is a rather weak compromise, considering how many guns are in circulation, but it's pretty much the best shot.

Demand for guns is engineered like demand for any other product. USA wasn't addicted to guns over night. The laws of economics are universal.

You should also realize Germany is the third largest arms exporter in the world, behind USA and Russia.
There is a great difference between lethal weapons and selfdefense weapons such as pepper sprays.
I would advocate against carrying a gun in order to protect yourself from assaults. Pepper sprays are reasonably save.

Pepper spray can be used offensively. There is no such thing as a self-defense weapon.

What would stop a rapist from pepper spraying a victim?
Acquiring a gun in a country where no prohibition is in place is significantly easier and criminals benefit from that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_in...arms_importers
Not even looking at illegal imports and exports, it's pretty obvious that criminals don't follow the law in the first place.
Last edited by ImmortalPig; Aug 7, 2013 at 03:50 PM.
A gun is only a tool. It's not a defense against violence unless you know how to use it. The problem is, most people who own some sort of weapon don't know how to use it for self-defense.

Mother Jones has a pretty interesting article around the hysteria and lies that basically control the gun industry in America. As a snippet from it, for ever 1 incident of self-defense with a gun in the home there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents, involving guns around or in the home.

link: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ths-fact-check

Also, hurrdurr government comin fer me guns, better stockpile more of them so the ratio of civilian guns to government guns is 79:1.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Oh! Sorry I didn't mean the use of lethal weapons to kill the attacker xD, I meant just using a blunt object or something similar to subdue the assailant. I also got your point about the weapon being able to be used by both parties, but odds are if the person was truly serious about assaulting you, they'd most likely bring a weapon of their own, in which case the use of a spray would be a surprise and take the attacker of guard to let you have a chance to escape and get help.
Originally Posted by Holotor View Post
Oh! Sorry I didn't mean the use of lethal weapons to kill the attacker xD, I meant just using a blunt object or something similar to subdue the assailant. I also got your point about the weapon being able to be used by both parties, but odds are if the person was truly serious about assaulting you, they'd most likely bring a weapon of their own, in which case the use of a spray would be a surprise and take the attacker of guard to let you have a chance to escape and get help.

Logically speaking if an attacker and defender had equal force, the attacker will win every time - because you can't tell they are attacking until they attack. Good luck drawing and firing your pepper spray before they fire...
Before they fire? I don't know this as a fact but rapists wouldn't want to rape a dead person unless they're just fully messed up in the head..

What I meant was that they'd be busy groping or whatever and wouldn't pay attention to your hand reaching inside of your pocket to get a small bottle of pepper spray. Also, you don't 'lock and load' a spray cannister, just squeeze it.