Toribash
Originally Posted by Vmac View Post
I don't quite understand, I started in SP first and from there it helped me improve my skills in MP.

I learned what the joints did in single player with out having to worry about what my opponent is going to do. Then transitioned to MP and all I really had to improve was decision making and mechanics that changed from SP to MP.

I didn't say everyone did this, but a fair amount did to just learn how to move around and such (I learnt how to run and move around in spars by sparring with begotten and mocucha and I learnt how to change momentum by playing wushu, etc. Everyone got their skills in a different way).
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
But you saying that SP players put greater importance on effective movement than MP is just wrong I feel.

SP players have more than 20 seconds to think of how they're going to move around. Large majority of MP players don't consider that changing a joint state on one joint will affect another because they just don't know/don't have enough time/don't care so they just go with what they're happy with. For example relaxing an ankle when its flat on the ground will provide (depending on angle of tori blah blah) more friction and stability to the ground than keeping the ankle contracted or held. So considering SP players have more time they can see more possibilities and therefore put greater importance on effective movement.
Originally Posted by Holotor View Post
So considering SP players have more time they can see more possibilities and therefore put greater importance on effective movement.

That is false way of thinking it. MP players only consider the optimal movement, disregarding any style (usually), since there is no time to tweak everything. Of course the movement in SP will be better, who's arguing against that? But the focus isn't effective movement, as much as in MP. There is style etc involved.

"Large majority of MP players don't consider that changing a joint state on one joint will affect another because they just don't know/don't have enough time/don't care so they just go with what they're happy with."

I don't understand what that argument is trying to prove? I can say with certainty that the top players regard every joint when it comes to movement.
That is false way of thinking it. MP players only consider the optimal movement, disregarding any style (usually), since there is no time to tweak everything. Of course the movement in SP will be better, who's arguing against that? But the focus isn't effective movement, as much as in MP. There is style etc involved.

There is a difference between efficiency and effectiveness... Kinda obvious SP focuses more on effective moves rather than efficient moves because they still want to keep the flow going smoothly while also doing that 5 DM boom and whatnot. No false thinking at all.

I don't understand what that argument is trying to prove? I can say with certainty that the top players regard every joint when it comes to movement.

I can say with certainty that the "large majority" of players are not top players, not sure if you read that properly. There's also a difference in regarding every joint when it comes to movement and getting the most effectiveness out of them.
Originally Posted by Holotor View Post
There is a difference between efficiency and effectiveness...

Well I guess you are correct there, but to say that either of them have more value skillwise is not true imho. I just keep saying that its a different kind of skill.
Ok, i'll post my oppinion to from what i noticed over la last years.
MP: u are pressed by time and you have to make the best decission in that short time. There is also the factor that the opponent is moving freely and it will mess up your potential move.
Sp: with a tf of 1 and lots of time and PATIENCE anybody can do great things. If they have understanding of the game.
Ofc practice is most important thing for both.

I, for one, never had the patience to make good stuff in sp.
Butonce u have 1 tf, the unlimited time and the possibility to stop and continue the replay from any point i think even i am able to make a nice boomhit, or a nice parkour or spar.
In sp its just a huge time effort to do it.
Mp is more fun and there is always luck involved.
I don't think there is a best at any style. If u are good at toribash u are good at both.
= SELLING MARKET INVENTORY =
Pm me for deals
In SP you can go back and fix any mistakes or make something better... in MP you either don't make mistakes, or you learn to work around them... SP is goof for learning the game but eventually the player will want to nice to MP. A lot of the best replays are made in MP as well... For example, check out Obey's clan video... knowing them I know they didn't stage that but rather fought and would make it realistic (such as a rule if up get punched you have to get knocked back a little) and MP challenges your ability to work around a player... SP the creativity is definately a big part, but once you get the idea, you can spend however long to make it. In MP, you have to decide what kind of fight you are going to do (ie shovel, grapple, etc.) and have a few seconds to execute your move. You also have to be able to compensate for your opponent's movements where as in SP you can just make Uke do as you wish.

SP Is good for learning and for testing.
MP Is good for challenge and for getting ideas possibly.
BOTH would be perfect for the ultimate player and/or repay maker.
The power of the runes shall destroy you!
Originally Posted by Runelixx View Post
In SP you can go back and fix any mistakes or make something better... in MP you either don't make mistakes, or you learn to work around them... SP is goof for learning the game but eventually the player will want to nice to MP. A lot of the best replays are made in MP as well... For example, check out Obey's clan video... knowing them I know they didn't stage that but rather fought and would make it realistic (such as a rule if up get punched you have to get knocked back a little) and MP challenges your ability to work around a player... SP the creativity is definately a big part, but once you get the idea, you can spend however long to make it. In MP, you have to decide what kind of fight you are going to do (ie shovel, grapple, etc.) and have a few seconds to execute your move. You also have to be able to compensate for your opponent's movements where as in SP you can just make Uke do as you wish.

SP Is good for learning and for testing.
MP Is good for challenge and for getting ideas possibly.
BOTH would be perfect for the ultimate player and/or repay maker.

sp for learning and experimenting, true no doubt. i find that the true aspect of sp is making replays (ukebash, tricking etc) though.

multiplayer is good for getting ideas how? the core of it is to find the most efficient way of winning (for example, shoveling), not very creative. style is just a harder but more emotionally worth it path to play mp, but it is inefficient nonetheless.
Both are really different.

In Mp there's a bunch of mods, you can be good at Aikido but you can suck at Wushu. Also there's a lot of people, you can never know if you're the best or not. Getting in Mp isn't easy, you have to play a lot of matches to get at least a bit of knowledge of what you're doing.

In Sp, each player has his own style, there's a lot of ways to play it and each one requires so much knowledge (madmans, tricking, parkour, solo-spar).

The thing is, both things aren't really comparable, they are different.
Originally Posted by BasicPunch View Post
Both are really different.

In Mp there's a bunch of mods, you can be good at Aikido but you can suck at Wushu. Also there's a lot of people, you can never know if you're the best or not. Getting in Mp isn't easy, you have to play a lot of matches to get at least a bit of knowledge of what you're doing.

In Sp, each player has his own style, there's a lot of ways to play it and each one requires so much knowledge (madmans, tricking, parkour, solo-spar).

The thing is, both things aren't really comparable, they are different.

Even though they are different you can still say which one takes more skill to be the best at it. I think it would be easier for me to be the best in the world at giving haircuts vs sculpting. Two different things but I can still say which one takes more skill.
Curious aren't you.