ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Is it correct to cite the Bible as a primary source?
This has been something that I have been wondering for a while. Many historians use the Bible to cite or prove their theses and or hypotheses. It is true that many places and artifacts in the Bible have definitely existed; The Tower of Babyl, Noah's Ark, Garden of Eden (Apparently). Others say that you cannot cite it, since it's "eye-witness accounts" and it is simply collective memory since the beginning of time.

What are your thoughts?
For what purpose? If you're referencing theology/metaphysics, sure.

For scientific purposes like determining the age of the earth? Nah
Hoss.
There are things in the bible that are provable, for example places. We know they were some places talked about in the bible that existed because we have proven it exists either through archaeology or the place still existing till today. But we still cannot assume that 100% of places mentioned in the bible exist (see: Garden of Eden)

As for science, you leave the bible as far away from any scientific discussion as humanly possible. I've seen science vs creationism arguments and it always ends up the same, the scientist citing his arguments with peer reviewed and accepted theories and the creationist replying with "well... the bible says". Religion does not belong in scientific debate.

The only discussion that the bible should ever be used in is what exactly is contained within the bible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[4:37 PM] ponf: y'all might think i'm not wild enough to send dick pics over toribash
[4:37 PM] ponf: you'd be wrong
uwu i wuv you uwu
The bible is a collection of works, some of it is primary, some of it is secondary. For example Gensis is most certainly not a primary source (eg Noah's Ark story), where as much of the post-Jesus new testament is.

By the way, a primary source IS an eye-witness account. So I'm not sure exactly what answer you are after. A secondary source is one that discusses a primary source. For example if you personally saw the Tower of Babel and wrote it down then that's a primary source, but if I read your account and then wrote about it, that's a secondary source.

Contrary to what you might immediately think, secondary sources are usually more reliable. Some examples of primary sources are eye witness accounts, journals, interviews. Some examples of secondary sources are journals, textbooks, encyclopaedias.

No matter what the source is (primary or secondary) you should always consider the validity and repute of the source, and always consult multiple sources - making special care to purposefully hunt for contradictory sources.

Anyway what's the context of your question? You have to write a report about history and you want to cite the bible?

Originally Posted by Neko View Post
As for science, you leave the bible as far away from any scientific discussion as humanly possible. I've seen science vs creationism arguments and it always ends up the same, the scientist citing his arguments with peer reviewed and accepted theories and the creationist replying with "well... the bible says". Religion does not belong in scientific debate.

The only discussion that the bible should ever be used in is what exactly is contained within the bible.

This is wrong for 2 main reasons:
1. Citing something does not assert it as fact. An untrustworthy source is still one that can be cited. For example you could say"Certain religious texts indicate that all animals were created at the same time [<insert citation scheme of your choice> The Bible]". Is this wrong? Is this illegal? Should this not be allowed? No, no, and no. Of course you can cite the bible, but that doesn't mean it should be taken as fact.
2. The bible is a historical text. I think you can imagine that it would be perfectly acceptable in anthropology, religious, or historical discussions. I don't think this needs to be discussed further, obviously any source from that long ago has historical value.
Last edited by ImmortalPig; Oct 13, 2015 at 09:49 AM.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
The bible is a collection of works, some of it is primary, some of it is secondary. For example Gensis is most certainly not a primary source (eg Noah's Ark story), where as much of the post-Jesus new testament is.

By the way, a primary source IS an eye-witness account. So I'm not sure exactly what answer you are after. A secondary source is one that discusses a primary source. For example if you personally saw the Tower of Babel and wrote it down then that's a primary source, but if I read your account and then wrote about it, that's a secondary source.

Contrary to what you might immediately think, secondary sources are usually more reliable. Some examples of primary sources are eye witness accounts, journals, interviews. Some examples of secondary sources are journals, textbooks, encyclopaedias.

No matter what the source is (primary or secondary) you should always consider the validity and repute of the source, and always consult multiple sources - making special care to purposefully hunt for contradictory sources.

Anyway what's the context of your question? You have to write a report about history and you want to cite the bible?

You are neglecting to mention that the bible itself states it's a collection of primary and secondary sources. For all we know these "sources" could have been made up years after anything happened or are completely false. There is no validity of the source, even Christians disagree on what parts of the bible hold merit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[4:37 PM] ponf: y'all might think i'm not wild enough to send dick pics over toribash
[4:37 PM] ponf: you'd be wrong
uwu i wuv you uwu

To be fair, there is substantial evidence that basically guarantees that there was a huge flood in the Mesopotamian area 10000 years ago, and they found "Noah's Ark". Though all the Drabble that comes with the story is clearly bullshit.

As for your secondary sources being more reliable, that's a load of horse shit. Where do you think secondary sources get their info from? Primary sources. It's not like they have somehow gotten more accurate information from the primary source which is less reliable. Your logic is very skewed, as per usual.

The point of the post is to discuss whether or not it is okay to treat the Bible as a primary source, and whether or not it does hold a substantial amount of truth, which there is now large amounts of evidence to prove that this is the case.

Side note; many of the stories in Genesis are based upon Sumerian stories which were most likely true in some form; Noah's Ark, Garden of Eden, Tower of Babel etc.
Last edited by Kyure; Oct 13, 2015 at 09:53 AM.
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
You are neglecting to mention that the bible itself states it's a collection of primary and secondary sources. For all we know these "sources" could have been made up years after anything happened or are completely false. There is no validity of the source, even Christians disagree on what parts of the bible hold merit.

Which is the same of all sources ever. See below:

-----
Originally Posted by Kyure View Post
As for your secondary sources being more reliable, that's a load of horse shit. Where do you think secondary sources get their info from? Primary sources. It's not like they have somehow gotten more accurate information from the primary source which is less reliable. Your logic is very skewed, as per usual.

No, a study is more reliable than a single witness, and a meta study even more so. This is to be expected.

Who do you think is able to get the better idea of a situation, a person who saw something, or someone who has analysed and studied multiple sources?

For example: who do you trust more to give an accurate description of what happened in a bank robbery, an eye witness or the investigator.
The eye witness knows only what they experienced or thought they experienced. 4 guys ran out of the bank with the cash, jumped in their get away car and sped off. The witness doesn't really know, it's very easy to get the wrong idea.
The investigator has interviewed all the eye witnesses. The person over the street saw what happened in the car, a robber put a gun to the drivers head and shouted at him, the driver was uninvolved. The teller at the bank said there was actually 6 guys, the last too were slow out because they were stopping the hostages from calling the cops.

Secondary sources are almost always more reliable because they encompass primary sources.

The point of the post is to discuss whether or not it is okay to treat the Bible as a primary source, and whether or not it does hold a substantial amount of truth, which there is now large amounts of evidence to prove that this is the case.

And as above, some parts are and some parts aren't. It's not a question of whether you can 'treat' it as one, that's like saying "can you treat a cat like a dog", sure but it's not a dog, it's a cat... It's just a nonsense question. You should be asking what it is, not what you can treat it as...

Side note; many of the stories in Genesis are based upon Sumerian stories which were most likely true in some form; Noah's Ark, Garden of Eden, Tower of Babel etc.

Which would become obvious if:

Last edited by ImmortalPig; Oct 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I don't see any reason to source the bible. It may provide a bit of historical insight, but other than that, it's a complete work of fiction. I would not cite a fantasy novel in a paper written about the middle ages, for example.

If you're writing on religion, I GUESS you can cite the bible, anywhere else, not really.
I think I might be retired.
No reason for it to be mandatory, maybe as a secondary subject but not something that everyone has to take. I'm sure that many people aren't of the same religion and do not want to learn that religion so why in-put it?

For all we know, the bible is complete fiction (Not saying that it is). Using the bible as a secondary source is probably best.
Steam: aruwind
Originally Posted by Maxiboo View Post
No reason for it to be mandatory, maybe as a secondary subject but not something that everyone has to take. I'm sure that many people aren't of the same religion and do not want to learn that religion so why in-put it?

For all we know, the bible is complete fiction (Not saying that it is). Using the bible as a secondary source is probably best.

The Bible is a historical account, so yes, there is proven truth in the Bible; Tower of Babel, Noah's Ark, Flood Myth etc. It is important that you don't cite the ENTIRE bible as a primary or secondary source however, since each chapter could be either or.