Toribash
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
If TB was put on Greenlight in it's current state no matter what trailers were used it'd be downvoted into oblivion, not to mention Valve wouldn't allow it since they have a lot of specifics that need to be met when it comes to ingame purchases.

That's the thing about Toribash, it's really not something someone can just.. pick up. It takes time, and to a common steam user, that's not very appealing unless they can fully understand what Toribash has to offer.
If you asked me, I think the game needs to put the most emphasis on community. Sure it's a fun game, but eventually it'll get old after a few weeks. Maybe you'll come back to play it again but then you'll get bored even faster. What really keeps players here are the forums. Clans, Markets, Art, Events, Customization, etc. It's what separates TB from most popular games.
On a personal side note, I'd love to see more large-scale events. Tournaments and what not.
Greenlight has a lot of fundamental problems, predominantly the people who are voting for things to be allowed. They're only interested in stuff that's either got a high profile (eg McPixel due to the Pirate Bay fiasco at the time) or things that look like a AAA commercial game.

It's left a lot of developers in limbo. There's always Desura or one of the other indie centric distribution services. Sure Steam can bring a big crowd, but there's always ways to live without it.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by ElectricBlue View Post
Wait, so Steam makes a free game pay to be posted and then charges users to download it? Or am I totally way off...
I would pay for it if it was on Greenlight just because I like the game.

If this game gets very popular on steam they might start charging people to play it. But the people will have to know you can download it from the Toribash Site
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
Greenlight has a lot of fundamental problems, predominantly the people who are voting for things to be allowed. They're only interested in stuff that's either got a high profile (eg McPixel due to the Pirate Bay fiasco at the time) or things that look like a AAA commercial game.

It's left a lot of developers in limbo. There's always Desura or one of the other indie centric distribution services. Sure Steam can bring a big crowd, but there's always ways to live without it.

No, I agree, Greelight is not optimal but it is a worthy suggestion. The problem is throwing the game out there only to get shot dead. I've seen the IGN review about the Wii and I'd actually agree with it.
Even my first reaction to the game was bad. Toribash is a very unconventional game. I've never see any other turn by turn simulators. Maybe that's a good thing, but without the right presentation it'll surely be it's downfall.
Come on SkulFuk get the job done. TB has a lot of players already so as long as we get a good trailer and people vote for it then it'll go well. Just get the job done yo.

We don't pay you for nothing.
I definitely think we should present the artistic value of Tb. It's the most artistic community i've ever seen. Sure, Minecraft has skins, but this is very different.
The whole forum in general is great, with orgs for certain types of people, clans, discussions, IRC, art... You don't even have to play the game to enjoy the community, and that's what i think is the true value of Tb. It's what causes people to stay even if they're bored of the game.
Question is, if Steam would greenlight Tb, would the forum disappear?

But as ImmortalCow said, showing it off like a "hardcore" game can really push it forward.
Would be nice to see more events, and tournaments, to see who's the best player, if more tournaments would be recorded, I think it could bring much more players to the community.

And, yeah. Definitely show off some of the user created videos. And art.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Another point, aikido.tbm needs to be advertised a lot less... It sure is a simple & easy mod for new players but that's not where the "hardcore" is, it's dragging the whole game down.

If you make a trailer or something you need to advertise striking mods like ninjutsu, brushu/wushu, stabjutsu, lenshu, sparring, and mods with epic environnements (like begotten's mods <3) I think that's the future of toribash !

Sure the forums are awesome and it makes the community cohesive, but it's a fuckin epic video game that require patience and skills before everything else, it's a fuckin martial art for the brain.;p

Basically I see toribash as a potential "playable shonen" if you know what I mean. Like for the player it all revolves about his own tori, its look, its rank etc... there's a lot of e-peen involved in toribash (and hardcore video games in general). You always want to get better, when you get beaten up you want to take your revenge etc... add epic surroundings and you basically have a watchable shonen as "good" as any naruto or bleach ;p except people are a part of it.
Don't put Toribash on Greenlight! it will be a down if someday TB will be on steam and.... They put $6 for Toribash. I hate that if that happened.
:D
If it were to go on steam, I highly doubt they would make it cost money.
Instead Nabi would emphasize customization for profit. So, more people would buy boosters, forum packages, QI, TC, and items with USD. They would probably also add plenty of other things people can buy.