Ranking
Original Post
Vista Gaming Issues
Sup guys.

So, I'm running Windows Vista (Bash me later, save me now), and I'm having serious problems with running games downloaded off the internet (Minecraft, GunBound, etc.).
Hardware:
HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook PC
AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82 @ 2.20 GHz
4 GB RAM | 81.1 MB used
64-bit OS
287 GB storage | 181 GB used |106 GB free

Vista Home Premium
What gives? Any advice (other than "GIT ah Mahk", "d/L L1nUx n00b", and "an hero") would be great.

Many thanks,

S
Last edited by ShadoDance; Apr 21, 2011 at 06:43 PM.
((Pro-Evolution, Anti-Christ))
[Evil]|Arteest|Friend
Well, lack of graphics card I guess.

What can you run?
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
It's got an ATI Radeon HD 3200 according to HP, which is a HD 2400 with a new name & no dedicated memory.

Soooo, the 1st thing to poke is it's drivers. ATI drivers suck at the best of times, but their laptop ones suck multiple sacks at once. Normally I'd tell you to poke it with Mobility Modder & use a standard Catalyst driver but yours isn't on the supported list. :/

Anyway, drivers - change the one you've got. Keep in mind ATI/AMD ditched support for it late 2010 so you're stuck with whatever crap they made before that.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
minecraft is also cpu intensive so check your running processes as well before starting your games
You don't say?
Okay, first can you tell us ur GPU? basicly gunbound doesnt need hispec. Can you tell ur what's the problem with those games?
the gpu was already stated lol, he also said his problem with the games...
You don't say?
Originally Posted by BondyLox
~moved

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
Well, lack of graphics card I guess.

What can you run?

Most CD based games, also most games made before 2007. E.g, Command And Conquer Tiberian Sun, and C&C Red Alert; Myst; Toribash runs excellently, Cortex Command. And also, interestingly enough, Portal. Which doesn't make much sense :L AND FUCKING CRYSIS. It runs and loads and I can play. It's just neither smooth nor beautiful nor fun.

Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
It's got an ATI Radeon HD 3200 according to HP, which is a HD 2400 with a new name & no dedicated memory.

Soooo, the 1st thing to poke is it's drivers. ATI drivers suck at the best of times, but their laptop ones suck multiple sacks at once. Normally I'd tell you to poke it with Mobility Modder & use a standard Catalyst driver but yours isn't on the supported list. :/

Anyway, drivers - change the one you've got. Keep in mind ATI/AMD ditched support for it late 2010 so you're stuck with whatever crap they made before that.

So, what you're really telling me... is that I should just get a new laptop because everything on mine is outdated and old.

It's true, I agree.

Should I just search for drivers on the ATI site?

Originally Posted by TheXeons View Post
Okay, first can you tell us ur GPU? basicly gunbound doesnt need hispec. Can you tell ur what's the problem with those games?

What in the fuck is a GPU. Problem with games tends to be a black screen [crash] after loading. For Minecraft, I see the Mojang logo and then it crashes. For GunBound it launches into fullscreen and then crashes [after anti-hack client launches].
Last edited by ShadoDance; Apr 25, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
((Pro-Evolution, Anti-Christ))
[Evil]|Arteest|Friend
Originally Posted by ShadoDance View Post
So, what you're really telling me... is that I should just get a new laptop because everything on mine is outdated and old.

It's true, I agree.

Should I just search for drivers on the ATI site?

Go hunt for drivers, just because something's a bit old doesn't mean it needs replaced. Just don't expect it to keep up with modern games, it's only a laptop after all.

Get your ass on ATI/AMD's site & dig through drivers, eventually you'll find one that does what you want.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
Get your ass on ATI/AMD's site & dig through drivers, eventually you'll find one that does what you want.

i agree with this, you will find an update for your graphics drivers that might improve performance, if your performance does not change with an updated graphics driver however then your problem may be elsewhere
You don't say?